2007 Fiat Ducato side window wind deflectors

Way2Go

Does anyone use these or can recommend a supplier (Formula 4 doesn't stock them for my model).

We were touring Germany 2 weeks ago and it was so hot (sorry Eddie) we had the windows open whilst driving.

Problem one, was one of rattling door blinds on driver's side and high pitched whistle on passenger's side.

Problem two, quite a bit of buffeting with both windows open.

Solution side window wind deflectors as I'm assuming air conditioning is far too expensive to be retro fitted.

I did a quick trawl around the internet but it seems a bit hit and miss so thought I'd ask my friends.

Has anyone fitted them for the new style 2007 Fiat Ducato or have any experiences of using them (good or bad?)

Kind regards

W2G

We use them on our 04 Ducato, so not your model, but we do find them very useful. We cruise at about 50/55 and can keep the windows down even if it is raining (light). It is a bit more noisy than having the windows closed but we can still hear the radio. We think a very worth while addition.

Hi W2G

I am also hoping to acquire some of these for our X250 Ducato panel van and, although I haven't done so yet, thought of conatcting Van Comfort as they suppied the Headlamp Protectors we are using with masking for our trip here in europe.

There was also an article in a recent MMM about someone who had made a few alterations to his Murvi Morello on the X250 and it included fitting widn deflectors but, sorry, can't recall what issue it was in and whether the guy gave the suppliers name etc

David

Yes that's the sort of thing.

I sent this 'company' an email yesterday asking for further details . . . . when they eventually reply I'll let you all know.

They quote '2006 > on' but little in the way of a description and no picture.  You can see why I emailed them :-)

W2G

Thanks for the tip.  I certainly won't be rushing it :-)

I've had an email to say they've been shipped from Slovakia!! and they've given me a parcel tracking link.

I've 'now' noticed that they've received several negative posts on eBay for a variety of the products that they've sold.  There are a couple that mention the finish of the wind deflectors so we'll have to wait and see.

W2G

BTW - the official Ducato wind deflectors (part number 50901494 and £52.36) only seem to have a 'bulge' along the top of the window with nothing facing forward at all (see picture).  Can't see how that would deflect wind coming straight at you i.e. when moving!!

Weathershield-50901494.jpg.ba792630ff0c8aefb8ba3b9ff907146a.jpg

Well the wind deflectors have arrived all the way from Slovakia and survived the journey intact.

They look pretty good and have a couple of twin-stick tape strips on the edges.  The instructions say to clean the nside of the window channels then strip off the tape and fit then it the channels.  This is followed by closing the window for an hour (to cure the sticky tape I presume).

I keep my MH in storage so will pop over later this week to fit and report back with a few snaps if I remember.

As I say, on the face of it they look good and are a smoke grey tinted colour. 

Interesting, I too have been thinking of these for our 'van (Ford Mk7) as Lily gets very jittery with noise in the motorhome now and hubby likes to have the window open.

Just a couple of queries for anyone who has them:

Do they reduce the noise a lot?

Do they obscure the vision when looking in the side mirrors?

Do they prevent the external screen from being put on (I assume not!).

I had the Remis blinds rattling, it was caused by the centre plastic blind casing rattling against window pillar (between quarter-light & window).

Easy cure a short strip of 2mm thick S/A foam applied to top & bottom of casing, only needs to be at the top & bottom as these are the only areas that can make contact.

O.K., as promised I'm reporting back after fitting the wind deflectors.  It's taken a little time because we store our MH away from home and It's a 45 minute drive over there.

First off, they were much easier and quicker to fit than I had originally thought and they look very attractive.

The step by step instructions are fairly generic as are the pictures of a car which match each instruction although the instructions didn't really apply to a Ducato.

The instructions mention cleaning the inside of the window rail with spirit so the twin-sided tape can get a good key but my Ducato has a velvet/cloth draught extruder thing going all the way around the inside of the window and it was impossible to actually get to the inside of the rail.  So, I ignored this part.

The instructions also say to start at the front (the vertical bit behind the wing mirror) and work towards the back (the horizontal bit at the top of the window.)

I opened the window and experimented with trying to fit one BEFORE taking off the protective tape backing and found there was no way I could get this to work so I started with the top back and worked towards the vertical bit at the front.  It fitted a treat so I took off the tape backing and fitted the first one then closed the window to secure it in place.  As per the instructions.

The second one followed and was fitted in no time.  The instructions say to wait with the windows closed for 1 hour (presumable for the tape to cure?) before trying them on the road.  I was a bit pushed for time so haven't road tested them yet.

To sum up, the first one took about 10 minutes to fit and the second one took about 3 minutes (as I'd cracked the correct way to fit them).

They look well made and are a slim design with an attractive grey smoked colour finish.

Side window visibility from the Ducato has always been on the poor side and obviously the fitting of the smoked colour wind deflector has not improved things but they haven't made it worse either.  You now have a narrow transparent smoked-colour vertical panel added to the already cluttered view but as I already have to concentrate a great deal at road junctions anyway, this shouldn't really make things any worse.

As I say, they were dead easy to fit, they look attractive and (subject to a road test) seem like a great investment if I can now drive with the windows open.  The option was certainly much cheaper than having A/C fitted.

W2G  

Well, the next scheduled trip will be Wednesday 14th July when I bring her home to get her ready for the Fairford weekend.

If you're keen on getting a set and would like me to give her a road test before you buy, I'll pop over in the week if you like?

W2G

Thanks for this info W2G, I ordered mine just after I spotted your post and they arrived pretty PDQ... I can only agree with your comments, they look very good and I hope the tint will help filter the low sun that always seems to beam in on me through the top of the window. I too had a dummy run before removing the strip and I found that offereing the thing up to the window and rotating the assembly about six inches anti-clockwise (passenger side), allowed me to slot the top rear and the corner into the window channel, rotate the other way and it more or less just falls into place... so about 30 seconds to fit for me :-D

The road test was positive, no buffet and less noise with the window fully lowered with a nice breeze coming in.

Aircon can be retrofitted up front by readerair in Woking for about £1800 8-)

I run two 240v 6" clip on fans (Draper) from a 150w inverter and hang them off the parcel shelf, one each - works a treat.

Rowan Lee - 2010-07-05 8:13 AM . . . Interested to see you are going to Fairford, we were at Waddington this weekend - the Vulcan was awesome!

Good to hear you had a good time.  I'm soooo pleased she's back in the air where she belongs.  I've been following the progress and it really was touch and go that she would be ready in time for Waddington.

We have worshipped at the Fairford shrine most years since the mid 80's but now we try to get there every other year as it's pretty expensive buying a two day ticket plus camping fees.  We were last there for the cancelled event in 2008 so we're really looking forward to this one.

I've been past Waddington a couple of times but never been to the air show as it's been too close to Fairford.  We both love Lincolnshire so we may try to build a long weekend around the show next year.

I hope you took plenty of photographs which you may want to show us?

W2G 

Archived