External gas point - where to fit

mike 202

Thanks Dave, that explains 'how' our Rapido passed 3 tests without a problem!

As for this:

Dave Newell - 2010-06-25 9:21 PM

An asthmatic person can blow higher pressures with his/her mouth.

I'm intrigued to know of your experience of what other parts of their anatomy asthmatics have been known to blow higher pressures with!!!! 8-)

Mel B - 2010-06-25 7:56 PM ............ The problem is that you simply do not know for certain how an installation has been done, it is therefore much better to get it done by someone you can definitely trust to do a proper job in the first place, which is why, if we decide to have a BBQ point installed on a van in the future, we'll probably pay a visit to the nice Mr Newell! :-D

You are tooooooo kind Mel: philately will get you everywhere, as they say!  :-)

But yes, how I agree with that statement.  Despite what you say, I must say I'm a little doubtful as to the actual qualifications of your technician - at least when it came to assembling compression joints.  It does require a bit of naus, but as they (again!) say, it ain't exactly rocket science either.

Dave is right, as ever, the gas tests are at very low pressure, so add a bit of goo to the joint, and the goo will take the pressure even if the joint is little more than finger tight.  That is where your technician's qualifications should have guided him to a proper job.

FWIW, I'll give you my take.  However the joint was initially assembled, and I don't doubt your description, it is clear the olive was never properly on the tube when the nut was tightened.  If it had been, it would not have come off, and it would not be mangled.  When properly tightened they slightly bite into the tube, and cannot slide off.  Cut off yes, but slide, never.  The olive was retrieved from the nut, with its end mangled.  It would be interesting to see the other side of the olive, which I suspect may be nice and round?

What I think we're looking at, is an olive that was half on and half off the tube when the nut was tightened, resulting in the mangling you can see as the nut crushed the olive onto - nothing.  The red rim on the nut appears to be residue of the jointing compound.  I think you are right that the pipe was cut too short.  I think it was then pulled forcefully up into the joint but, as the nut was being tightened, slipped down, leaving the olive half on and half off the pipe.  In this situation, the nut would not have pulled up hard, and it will have taken far too many turns on it before feeling even part way home.  That should have warned him to open the joint again, to see what was going on.  Final judgement, therefore: he was not properly competent to do the job.

However, all a bit academic now, so maybe best placed in your personal box of horrors and buried somewhere - where the sun don't shine!!  :-D

I'm sure you won't get a repeat performance with your new van!

Archived