Fuel consumption figures

Mel B

Just thought I'd put on the fuel consumption figures we got whilst on our 2 week trip to Scotland in case anyone is interested.

We did a lot of single track very slow and wiggly, up and down rollercoaster (great fun!) roads, as well as some fast motorway and A road travelling, so I wasn't expecting miracles but ....

Trip overall mileage: 1365

No of litres used: 224

Miles per litre: 6.09

Miles per gallon: 27.72

We put fuel in 4 times, 3 full and 1 part, so I also split it up into 3 sections when we had brimmed the tank, which gave returns of 27.09, 28.15 and 27.68 mpg.

As we were using the diesel heating some of the time (it can get flipping cold up there!!!) and bearing in mind the type of roads/speeds we were doing, I am very pleased indeed with the figures, without the diesel heating being used, and less slow wiggly roads, I suspect it would have been closer to 30 mpg.

Bearing in mind that the best we got in the Rimor was around 23 mpg, I'm quite happy with the fuel consumption of the new Ford/Chausson motorhome. :-D

Hopefully it will get even better when the engine is more 'run in', as it's only got 1902 miles on it at present! :-S

Hi there if your interested we have averaged 30/32mpg ish over last 12 months done 300 miles this week 80% motorway at 60 mpg and averaged 35.4 mpg engine done 5k i have found 60 mph to be way more economical than 70 and quite a bit better than 65. Even seen 36mpg on a slow longish road trip at 40mph ish like you i am very pleased with the cab

Guest JudgeMental

a bit pointless giving stats if you don't say what camper type.........

I am interested in difference between a 3 litre auto Fiat and the 2.3 6 speed (in a PVC type vehicle) Can anyone advise plse

Earlier this year we got around 25mpg out of a Rimor Katmorano3 on the Ford chassis (not sure of the engine) this was sticking to around 60/65 on motorways and driving around Devons twisty bits.

Last month we where in a 25' Ford 5.2 ton overcab, by sticking to 50mph on mainly long straight US roads got 12 mp us gal, on one journey along mainly route 66 when had to get a move on at 60/65 dropped to about 8mp us gal

:-(

I'm really not sure what value these figures have.  Some are quoted from the trip computer (not accurate), and some from actual records (accurate, if meticulously maintained), so comparisons are immediately suspect.  People's driving styles vary, so account for more variation.  Vans are different shapes, even if on the same chassis, so aerodynamics will affect consumption.  Ambient temperatures affect consumption.  Running the aircon affects consumption.  Vehicle weight affects consumption.  Head/tail winds affect consumption.  Terrain affects consumption.  Speed affects consumption.  Compensate for these variables, and you may be getting somewhere.  Otherwise, just go out and drive it, it's what you bought it for, and it cost far more to buy than you'll ever spend on fuel, and definitely a lot more than you'll ever save driving 5MPH slower.  :-D

Whilst I agree with Brians comments as an owner of a Challenger 34+ (identical to the Chausson 04) it is useful to glean what others are achieving mpg wise. If one is failing to get the mpg a fellow traveller is then at least hopefully it may prompt a can I do better response.

Over 18 months and using the diesel heating in our MH we have achieved just short of 30 mpg over 18,000 miles.

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-24 5:53 PM

I'm really not sure what value these figures have.  Some are quoted from the trip computer (not accurate), and some from actual records (accurate, if meticulously maintained), so comparisons are immediately suspect.  People's driving styles vary, so account for more variation.  Vans are different shapes, even if on the same chassis, so aerodynamics will affect consumption.  Ambient temperatures affect consumption.  Running the aircon affects consumption.  Vehicle weight affects consumption.  Head/tail winds affect consumption.  Terrain affects consumption.  Speed affects consumption.  Compensate for these variables, and you may be getting somewhere.  Otherwise, just go out and drive it, it's what you bought it for, and it cost far more to buy than you'll ever spend on fuel, and definitely a lot more than you'll ever save driving 5MPH slower.  :-D

Bog off Brian!!!!! 8-) ;-) (lol) :D

I am nothing if not meticulous, I don't 'do' on-board computers, I like to work it out accurately for myself and as I take the readings and do the calculations I am sure of the results.

It is VERY useful to know what mpg you are getting for various reasons, the most obvious being that if you suddenly see a reduction, you know you have a problem somewhere, better to find out that way than when the 'crunch' comes and something major goes wrong.

It is also good to be able to work out what the cost of very long trips is likely to be to be able to budget, for example, over a 3,000 mile trip, the cost difference between getting 6 MPL (miles per litre) or 5 MPL is approximately £117, not to be sniffed at.

Whilst buying our new motorhome the fuel consumption was just one consideration, especially as we intend to make much more use of it and also more than likely have it as our only vehicle (with 4 wheels anyway!), so if it had been one that was only going to get 20mpg, it may not have been the one we chose ... same reason we wouldn't ever get an RV, some of them may be lovely but what a literal price to pay for the privaledge!

I tell you what, I'll stop recording the costs if you sling some of your dosh my way .... deal???? :->

Mel B - 2010-06-24 9:27 PM

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-24 5:53 PM

It is VERY useful to know what mpg you are getting for various reasons, the most obvious being that if you suddenly see a reduction, you know you have a problem somewhere, better to find out that way than when the 'crunch' comes and something major goes wrong.

QUOTE]

Fully agree Mel, especially where it's comparison of your own van, but I think Brian's comment relates more to comparison with other users.

My own spreadsheet immediately highlights if consumption is outside the norm to help identify if I have a problem. It also recalculates the "norms" on each entry, as I am expecting improvement whilst still running in.

Don't know about others, but our Peugeot dash readout is optimistic at best. Last Tank to Tank reading was 32.5mpg. Calculated is 27.8mpg.

This % discrepancy has been constant over the last 15months

flicka - 2010-06-24 10:03 PM
Mel B - 2010-06-24 9:27 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-24 5:53 PM I'm really not sure what value these figures have.  Some are quoted from the trip computer (not accurate), and some from actual records (accurate, if meticulously maintained), so comparisons are immediately suspect.  People's driving styles vary, so account for more variation.  Vans are different shapes, even if on the same chassis, so aerodynamics will affect consumption.  Ambient temperatures affect consumption.  Running the aircon affects consumption.  Vehicle weight affects consumption.  Head/tail winds affect consumption.  Terrain affects consumption.  Speed affects consumption.  Compensate for these variables, and you may be getting somewhere.  Otherwise, just go out and drive it, it's what you bought it for, and it cost far more to buy than you'll ever spend on fuel, and definitely a lot more than you'll ever save driving 5MPH slower.  :-D
Fully agree Mel, especially where it's comparison of your own van, but I think Brian's comment relates more to comparison with other users. My own spreadsheet immediately highlights if consumption is outside the norm to help identify if I have a problem. It also recalculates the "norms" on each entry, as I am expecting improvement whilst still running in. Don't know about others, but our Peugeot dash readout is optimistic at best. Last Tank to Tank reading was 32.5mpg. Calculated is 27.8mpg. This % discrepancy has been constant over the last 15months

Yep, spot on!  It is of course useful to know one's own van's fuel consumption: for the reasons you give.  I can tell you ours, if you really want to know, for the 18,035 recorded miles travelled since we got it!  That is useful for me to know but, I submit, of little to no value to anyone else, for the reasons I gave above.

I've notice in couple of posts on judder that people are saying fuel comsumption after having final drive changed is worse, and it appears to directly correspond to the change in ratio, this seems highly unlikely to me, I would expect just a small change, I wonder if the computer is only calculating rpm against miles.

When I have checked actual fuel consumption on a Citreon compared to the computer there was a differance of approx 10%.

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-25 12:17 AMIt is of course useful to know one's own van's fuel consumption: for the reasons you give.  I can tell you ours, if you really want to know, for the 18,035 recorded miles travelled since we got it!  That is useful for me to know but, I submit, of little to no value to anyone else, for the reasons I gave above.

Me too. When coming back to Spain from the UK, I know within a litre or two how much fuel to put in on my final fuel stop in the UK, to get me to France and likewise in France to get me to Spain!!

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-24 11:17 PM

It is of course useful to know one's own van's fuel consumption: for the reasons you give.  I can tell you ours, if you really want to know, for the 18,035 recorded miles travelled since we got it!  That is useful for me to know but, I submit, of little to no value to anyone else, for the reasons I gave above.

Go on then, tell us, you KNOW you want to!!!!! ;-)

It'll tell us whether you go at warp speed in your van or not, Captain!!! (lol)

colin - 2010-06-25 11:31 AM

I've notice in couple of posts on judder that people are saying fuel comsumption after having final drive changed is worse, and it appears to directly correspond to the change in ratio, this seems highly unlikely to me, I would expect just a small change, I wonder if the computer is only calculating rpm against miles.

When I have checked actual fuel consumption on a Citreon compared to the computer there was a differance of approx 10%.

A passing thought *-)

If the reverse / final drive ratio os changed to stop the judder, is the speedo / odeometer recalibrated ?

Normally the speedo seems 10% fast compared with a GPS speed reading, I do not know how accurate the odeometer is (?)

May be even more inaccurate after the reverse mod .

Rgds

Mel B - 2010-06-26 7:53 PM  Go on then, tell us, you KNOW you want to!!!!! ;-) It'll tell us whether you go at warp speed in your van or not, Captain!!! (lol)

Just for you, then!  But it's our little secret, right?  http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

28.75 MPG.

Warp speed it is then eh? :$

Looks like you need to look into wormholes for long distance travel, or having a 'transporter' installed. Alternatively, you could just get rid of some of the Clingons to reduce drag! (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-26 8:18 PMJust for you, then!  But it's our little secret, right?  http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

28.75 MPG.

Only two decimal places Brian ?, I would have expected at least 4 (or more) decimal places :D Just a leg pull ! (Not too be taken the wrong way !)Rgds

28.75 seems a bit unprecise for brian my luvvers. 28.74 or 28.76 then us would av beleved him. but 28.75 is a bit far fetched, don u think me ansums. was u wearin your duffle coat or parker at the time brian? denzil thinks 28.77 wood be more like the summer average my biddies.

fulelitagainfred

I always have a titter when I read this type of thred, as I too always keep a check on my fuel consumptionJust for my own use and I aggree with Mel B that if by doing this if all of a sudden you are only getting 10 miles to the gallon instead of your usal 50 ( liar ) something is wrong some where.

In all my years of motoring it's amazing how many times I have spoken about this subject to a friend or aquaintance and they tell you that they are acheiving 15 or what ever more miles to the gallon than you are getting when driving the same vehicle, I think it must be a Male thing.

Last year one of my neighbours with a 10ltr. V yanky gas guzzeler pick up had a gas converstion done on his vehicle, He claimed whilst running on petrol he was lucky to get 10mpg, I spoke to him a few weeks after he had the gas convertion and i asked how the vehicle was running etc "Great" he said I am now getting twice as many miles to the gallon on gas as I was on petrol, He could not understand when I told him thats impossible but he insisted, I said you are getting a much cheaper mile per litre on gas and may sometimes get the odd few miles extra but not double, I could not convince him I was right.

I heard a so called expert on the radio last week and he stated the most of the cars travelling with a couple of england flags on top of there cars it could be costing them 3 to 6 miles to the gallon with the drag of these flags, This got me thinking about something that I have often wondered, My solar panel has an inch and a half gap underneath it, so will the drag of the wind underneath cost me a few miles to the gallon, so I have made a deflector to fit in front of the panel and after I have fitted and return from my holidays I hope you all beleive me when I tell you I am getting 50 miles to the gallon instead of 28 (lol) (lol) (lol)

Terry

Archived