Pelmetman business survey

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just thought I would pose this question to my fellow self employed and small business owners.

How are you finding it at the momment?

I am very busy and have been for the last three months, last year was a right off.

I supply top end and mid to bottom end of the market and it seems to be the top end that has picked up and going great guns, and the mid to bottom, is fits and starts.

Based on previous experiance this seems to be usual reccession :-S

Our business model has changed over the last year or so, we used to be mainly about supplying and fitting of accessories then we started doing hab servicing then I put a big lift in and started doing base vehicle servicing too. The hab and base servicing is now fast becoming the backbone of our business with the accessories side playing second fiddle. We are definitely building up a regular customer base for servicing year on year, many of who will travel quite large distances for a good honest service at the right price, especially as our usiness neighbour is a major chain garage that do MOTs andcan handle most sizes of motorhome up to 5.5 tonnes and 4.5 metres wheelbase.

We ain't making a mint but we're still in business and our turnover is increasing year on year, albeit slowly.

D.

Guest pelmetman
Dave Newell - 2010-06-24 9:43 PM

We are definitely building up a regular customer base for servicing year on year, many of who will travel quite large distances for a good honest service at the right price,

D.

I have to agree Dave if you provide a reliable honest service then although a recession is uncomfortable you will still have work, I do not advertise the pelmet company, and when I lost a couple of shops due to the down turn I was fortunate in being able to replace them by word of mouth :-)

'Word of mouth' is the key and recommendation can make or break a company. A good reputation takes time and does,nt come easily, with just one instance of bad practise enough to undo all that good work, so reccession or not you'll find that quality, value, and most important of all, good customer relations will see you through where others fail during hard times.

We are up and down most of the year (no that isn't a pun) because we do swimwear as well as lingerie once you get past Christmas things start to pick up.

We have alot of repeat customers and much of our business is from overseas so it depends on what the pound is like in their country at the time. We wouldn't have had a great year last year if it hadn't been for Poland joining Ebay and they just bought like headless chickens. Since January we hardly post out there at all in comparison. They now have their own version of Ebay that has really taken off.

We are lucky in so much as our goods wear out and women change sizes as well as their minds :-> :->

Just wish our supplier was more on the ball, waiting for goods that we ordered on the 8th that are supposed to take 5 days, we live 10 minutes away from the factory which makes it even more frustrating.

Mandy

Hi,

I am the opposite to your customers. I have had dealings with two main dealers in the last ten days. One was to buy tyres for my recently acquired micro pick-up (Two tyres quoted at £26 each came to £75, plus an HOUR in the waiting room). The other was to investigate purchase of a 4x4, up to £10,000. (Hard sell, techniques, and later my wife complained about his "touchy-feely" behaviour). Both were "family" businesses.

I will travel many miles to AVOID returning to them.

Business is up and down over the last year but in general our turnover is about the same as last year.

We supply CCTV cameras and equipment. The installation side of the business has increased to commercial customers but decreased to domestic customers.

The website order rate is very variable which makes stock holding difficult.

We also offer vehicle cameras and reversing cameras. Mainly fitting cameras to trucks and lorries. We do a small but constant amount of work on motorhome reversing cameras. This is probably because we have never advertised this side of the business believing we get a better return on advertising in other areas.

It is not just about security as most people think when you mention CCTV. We have some very good customers in the medical field who regularly talk a monitoring sytem from us.

Exports to Ireland and Europe were good when the euro was near to the pound but at the current rate it is not so attractive for the euro countries to buy from the UK.

After the England game on Wednesday the website returned an usually high rate of orders. It must be down to the "feel good" factor so we will be hope for a repeat performance this weekend.

AliB

2SEETV Ltd

Two friends of mine.

One works in furniture manufacturing and he tells me that his place is very busy and has been for the last 6 months.

The other is in upvc manufacturing, doors windows etc. His place is working around the clock to meet demand. It's been like it for about 4 months and no sign of it easing he happily tells me.

Both are longish established businesses with fairly good reputations.

A small takeaway/cafe in town started trading 18 months ago offering excellent value for money curries, samosas, etc etc. 6 months ago he opened another outlet in town and not satisfied with that, he's opening another.

It proves that if you offer good value for money you can clean up and wipe the floor with the opposition.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
Reading through the posts so far, and I know its only a tiny number but I get the feeling things are not as bad as the papers would have us believe, but then again I have thought that before during previous down turns :D

Not in my business but from contacts in other businesses I understand that there is now a lot more haggleing over prices as people try to cut back

I have quiet a few friends that are in the jobbing building business and they are finding it harder

The plastics industry has been adjusting for the past 30 years to cheaper products and consequently the associated trades such as mould makers have also declined. An 85% loss in skilled personnel and premises closures would not be an exaggeration.

It began with Portugal and Spain making cheaper tooling, followed by Eastern European countries as they were being exploited by the market.

Moves to the Far-East with China and India dominating were the next stage for cheapness but, cheapness also has a cost and at times can be prohibitive.

There are signs however that some tooling and moulding is returning the UK. Very recently one company decided that shoddy work from the Far-East was no match for UK quality.

My years working in the industry were originally European, they are now only Village, to give a fair approximation of the situation in which we now live.

Unfortunately your plastic spares components have not seen any reduction in costs. So much for globalisation, good for some, disastrous for others.

• 1 year later...
Guest pelmetman

Its just over a year since I did my original post:D..................Just wondered if things have changed much? 

For my own part we just seem to be bumping along the bottom*-).........Which I suspect will happen for a few years to come. 

My prediction is it will be 10 years before we get back to where we were, but at least it means more time away in the camper:-) 

Was it really a year ago?

Things are pretty much as expected.

I am seeing far more interest in investing outside of the UK/EU - the BRIC economies in particular.

But business' in general are hanging on in there and most that are still with us are doing better than last year.

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-07-06 9:41 PM
pelmetman - 2011-07-06 6:08 PMFor my own part we just seem to be bumping along the bottom*-)
This is what happens when you have punctures (lol) Dave

At least I'm doing my bit to keep the tyre industry afloat:D..............along with the highways agency*-)

I don't see a huge difference even in these challenging times - in my business I visit a lot of pubs/ restaurants & food factories, and other such places.

It's interesting - many pubs have gone under, but equally as many are doing very nicely thankyou. Partly down to location, partly to how they are run. Many deserved to go under.

As far as sales go, It is definitely down to customer care & word of mouth. A referall is worth gold dust. Also people tend to go for local ads in local mags/publications, with a local phone number, & local businesses. Word of mouth is king. The bigger the organisation, in my experience, the less likely the public are to buy.

Most of my non-property, liquid invested money is euro-denominated and invested in relatively high-risk stocks in Asia and the far-east.

I've had a very good year thanks all you highly productive and efficient slitty-eyed chaps & lasses.

Overall portfolio growth of 27.1% in 12 months. Yes indeedee!

(But remember the value of your investment can fall as well as rise...etc)

On the music front here in Spain - number of 2011 gigs will exceed 2010, but based on prices thus far, it looks as though total revenue will be flat (gig price lower on average, but higher album sales will plug the gap).

Overall, 2011 looks to be a comfortable year.

And it was 37 degrees in the shade today, so the villa pool is getting a lot of use now use too. :-D

It was about time the British economy had a wakeup call. From where I see it now, the companies that offered and offer a good customer relationship have survived. The ones such as MFI were the staff couldn’t really afford you the time of day have gone. Companies over the whole spectrum must buck up or ship out.

laimeduck - 2011-07-06 11:18 PM

I don't see a huge difference even in these challenging times - in my business I visit a lot of pubs/ restaurants & food factories, and other such places.

It's interesting - many pubs have gone under, but equally as many are doing very nicely thankyou. Partly down to location, partly to how they are run. Many deserved to go under.

As far as sales go, It is definitely down to customer care & word of mouth. A referall is worth gold dust. Also people tend to go for local ads in local mags/publications, with a local phone number, & local businesses. Word of mouth is king. The bigger the organisation, in my experience, the less likely the public are to buy.

Could not agree more!! :-D :-D :-D

Well said.

Archived