Transit/Home-car Advice

Optare

Hi All

Being about to buy my first motorhome would like some advice/comments

on this combination Base model is a 2009 Ford Transit with a 2.2 115bhp engine with 5-speed gearbox with a Home-Car LP (according to the Home-car website called the Fum although the dealers (Webbs, Reading list it as a XS22.Any advice greatly appreciated.

Derek

I think you need to clarify exactly which engine it has.  The current FWD Transits are either 110hp or 140hp.  If it is a 5 speed, I suspect the former, because I think all the 140hp engines come with 6 speed boxes.  I couldn't find a "Fun" that corresponded with Webbs XS22 as illustrated on their website, all of which, however referenced, are clearly the XS22RL (RL = rear lounge - geddit? :-)).  Don't know if this may be a Webbs "special", or a UK market special.

I'd think the 110hp might be a bit short on puff with that body.  Ours has a lower frontal area (it is narrower) and is the earlier, 130hp version of the engine, but feels about right.  Otherwise, the Transit is fine.

Guest JudgeMental
It will probably be OK but not very inspiring to drive......you would be better of with the 2.2 130 or latest 140bhp model.......

My Transit has the 2.2 110 engine,

It pulls well, and returns 31 mpg.

It is quiet and very smooth.

It will sit at 70mph all day on the motorway.

It reverses without judder.

It cannot be compared to my previous vehicle, a VW but that was a 2.5 and gave 180 BHP!

Hallii

Archived