Smart Towing on A-frame

omar

Have a 2008 smart which when turning tight the front wheels start kicking left to right causing the home to rock from side to side had to leave on park and recover later.Tracking etc all ok.

Previous model no problems.any ideas and please no debate aframes and trailers.

The A frame attachments should connect somewhere to the steering mechanism on the car.  If this connection has been properly made, and has not become displaced or damaged, the front wheels should follow the draw-bar.  Unless the steering lock has engaged, but then broken, so damaging other parts of the mechanism, it is difficult to see what else could cause this phenomenon.  I'd check for damage, a loose connection, or excess wear.  Whose A frame is it, who fitted it, and what do they say?

Brian,

A frames don't connect to the steering on the towed car, they solely rely on the Caster angle of the steering to follow the towing vehicle. That's why they are so hard to reverse as the wheels tend to go to full lock.

I can't offer any advice to the OP (sorry forgot his name) other than to check the steering lock is off and not catching and then maybe get the tracking checked.

Keith.

Edit, Re comment on 'when turning tight', it may be that because of your rear overhang you are pushing the car sideways and the new car has better tyres than the old and so is jumping sideways. Get someone to watch while you try and reverse to see what is happening. Or better still get someone else to reverse the outfit so you can watch.

Keithl - 2010-06-25 6:26 PM Brian, A frames don't connect to the steering on the towed car, they solely rely on the Caster angle of the steering to follow the towing vehicle. That's why they are so hard to reverse as the wheels tend to go to full lock. .................

Well, thanks for that.  Yer lives and yer learns!  I'd always thought they must attach to the steering somewhere, to guide the wheels - though as you say, if they did, they would probably reverse properly.  Seems they are less sophisticated than I had believed!

I wonder if this Smart has power assisted steering?  It is very small and light, so shouldn't need it, but it can affect normal castor effects, and I believe the steering geometry is different with PAS.  Is that a possibility?

Keithl - 2010-06-25 6:26 PM

Edit, Re comment on 'when turning tight', it may be that because of your rear overhang you are pushing the car sideways and the new car has better tyres than the old and so is jumping sideways. Get someone to watch while you try and reverse to see what is happening. Or better still get someone else to reverse the outfit so you can watch.

Following on from Keith's post, if you can find a large space start a gentle turn and very gradualy tighten, if it's the overhang causing problem then this might work.

Hi,

Have you had the smarts tracking dynamically tracked by a garage and also had the steering checked for wear e.g track rod ends etc. as it sounds from your explanation, very much like the smart wheels are turning into the bend/corner far to quickly giving a sort of under-steer, and I can only think that could happen if they was wear on the steering gear or the tracking is out.

The way I have been given to understand the dynamic tracking looks at all of the road wheels not just the front steering wheels.

Has the vehicle ever been involved in an accident as you often see cars crabbing along which puts all of the geometry of the road wheels out of alinement.

Just some thoughts that may help you find the solution.

Some years ago we were interested in buying a Smart car to tow on an A-frame but were advised that a Smart car should never be towed in this way but definitely on a trailer. In the end we bought a small Fiat Seicento and towed that on an A-frame with no problem at all (unless we needed to reverse of course) but we made very sure that the steering lock was not engaged and always had the key turned to the first stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Still not solved the problem Tracking all checked ok no accidents etc.been tryed with various a-frames and on different vehicles wheels still kick from side to side.

Looks like the smart will have to go??? unless some one can help out there

You most likely have some slop in the actual A frame allowing a limited amount of freedom to the car. The A frame and its attachment to the car and the motorhome need to be rigid, apart from the actual 50mm ball joint that is. My guess is that you have one of those collapsable A frames that are easy to stow and the slop in the system is enough. Tried assembling it with bolts and nylock nuts?. Is the towbar on the van bolted up tightly?

C.

Bit confused here...when you say you've tried various A-frames, do you mean more of the same model? I thought the mountings were bespoke (can't put a Chris Cox on a Towtal etc). Do you mean you've tried different instances of the same A-frame type? Personally I can't see any way you'll get to the bottom of this without having someone who knows about it (ie the A-frame manufacturer) watch as you carry out a slow high-lock maneouvre.

Clive, I can't speak for all frames, but certainly on the Chris Cox the nature of the pivot on the folding mechanism and the bolt/spring clip that locks it into the open position means that there can't be any flexing in the A-frame.

Paul

We were also told never to tow a Smart car on an A frame so we got a C1 and it tows beautifully.

Having said that if you towed a Smart Car before and didn't have any problem, perhaps the suppliers could tell you of any updates/upgrades made to your new model which could be causing the problem

Other than that-trade the Smart against a C1 and happy days-and 4 seats!!

PS Just got tax notification in post and tax has dropped to £20 pa now for the C1-Happy Days-£48 for the bike and £20 for the car-doesn't make sense really does it?

Archived