Watching the telly with wifi

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I have a 3 dongle and so far have been unable to use to watch tv, although its been fine for running the business when away.

But I have been on one site where the village had free wifi and the picture was fine during the day, but tailed off in the evening when I assume everyone got home from work and started surfing *-)

So I am wondering how long it will be before a workable service is likely, as I hear the politicians say they will roll out broadband across the country, its not reached our village in Lincolnshire yet and very little sign of it ever arriving *-)

Does anyone know if the 3 dongle works abroad (?)

Mobile broadband dongles can be a bit hit and miss for TV - how good the 3 network reception is in the area plays a large part in how good the TV will work, or not. TV demands a good speed and even watching Youtube can be very patchy for me at home most of the time, and eats into my download allowance too, so I don't bother and have a separate TV adaptor linked to my home PC which is linked to the normal TV aerial.

Yes, you can use your 3 dongle abroad but you'd have to arrange for it to have international accessibility (you need to do it with 3 before you go Ibelieve) and also have to be prepared for absolutely whopping great bills when you get home!!!! Unless you are looking to pay more than your holiday would cost, I'd stick to the free wifi at McDonalds!

Hi Dave & Sue

We have an Hauppauge WinTV dongle for terrestrial, which picks up the usual Freeview TV on to the laptop. It can also be hooked up to the Motorhome ariel lead.

From memory around £30 from Maplin.

For some reason we can get a good picture on the TV on the laptop when the normal TV is pixelated

But don't know what it would give us on the continent.

Guest pelmetman
Thanks for the replies so far B-) It seems that hoping to watch tv on wifi in the UK is a distant dream and will never happen abroad. Part of my reason for starting this thread is because like most campervan owners I am trying to keep my weight down, so as I now need to carry the laptop can I view the tv through it, if I fit a satelite system (?)

Guest JudgeMental

You can use Kellys link to watch most digital channels in the UK?:-S

http://www.tvcatchup.com/

and in Europe a proxy server will probably work although a free one probably no good from what I have heard, but some cheap ones around......

Watching TV using a dongle is a bit off a non starter, even if you can get a fast enough connection you will soon use up your data allowance & it will cost a fortune.

As for using a dongle abroad DON'T unless you can afford big bill, I know people who use them for business abroad and their monthly bill is £5-6000, e.g. download a 400meg file cost £1200 @ £3/meg.

As for using a public or camp site wi-fi I think this is downright selfish, you are going to use a large amount of bandwidth & slow down everyone else's connection.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2010-06-30 11:30 PM

Watching TV using a dongle is a bit off a non starter, even if you can get a fast enough connection you will soon use up your data allowance & it will cost a fortune.

As for using a dongle abroad DON'T unless you can afford big bill, I know people who use them for business abroad and their monthly bill is £5-6000, e.g. download a 400meg file cost £1200 @ £3/meg.

As for using a public or camp site wi-fi I think this is downright selfish, you are going to use a large amount of bandwidth & slow down everyone else's connection.

I wont be using it abroad then 8-) and I must admit did not realise the bandwidth issue, better behave myself in future :D

By the way Flicka, tried again to answer your pm, still learning with this computing lark, I can work fine with my hands but working with computers, and setting the video machine is one of the few occaissions we regret not having kids :-S Oh and having the chimney swept they could of saved me a fortune (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2010-06-30 7:18 PM ........... Part of my reason for starting this thread is because like most campervan owners I am trying to keep my weight down, so as I now need to carry the laptop can I view the tv through it, if I fit a satellite system (?)

Well, then take your own advice, go on a diet to keep your weight down, and add a satellite dish of equivalent weight: result?  Zero extra weight to van.  Simples?  :-D

Frankkia - 2010-07-02 8:19 PM

You could get a sat dish and attach it to this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228443&C=Froogle&U=228443&T=Module Then plug it into your laptop.

WOW, inflation or what, that's almost doubled in price in 18 months.

Suggest checking the web for alternatives.

It will work with your ordinary ariel for terrestrial Freeview.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2010-07-02 7:21 PM
pelmetman - 2010-06-30 7:18 PM ........... Part of my reason for starting this thread is because like most campervan owners I am trying to keep my weight down, so as I now need to carry the laptop can I view the tv through it, if I fit a satellite system (?)

Well, then take your own advice, go on a diet to keep your weight down, and add a satellite dish of equivalent weight: result?  Zero extra weight to van.  Simples?  :-D

But I put all this weight on to carry me through the recession (lol)

Archived