Pricing of aire near Calais

ChasB

We have just got back from the other side of the water having spent a few weeks in Alsace and the Alps avoiding most of the rain.

Before catching the ferry back we spent a night at a so called aire; ( Its in the aires book, but it’s more a camping site) at Escalles near Calais. It’s called Les Erables Cap Blanc-Nez - 62179 Escalles Calais.

I would only ever go there again as a last resort. Reason their pricing, which I will explain later. There were only Dutch, German and English motorhomes on the site there; and can only think that the French were not that stupid.

The price for a night for a motorhome and two persons is as follows:-

If you arrive in the day 12 euros.

If you arrive in the evening 9 euros.

Electricity 6amp 3 euros.

Electricity 10amp 4.5 euros.

To take on fresh water 3 euros.

To dump your grey water 1 euro.

A shower 1 euro.

And to top that they charge taxe de sejour at 0.25 euros per person. That could be as much as 21 euros a night, so be warned.

Every time another motorhome arrived the patron reminded me of the campsite owner in the carry on camping film; rubbing his hands together when he thought he could charge a little more.

................................Why stay there then, once told the price you could say bye, start your engine and roll out ?????????????????????????????????? ...........

Simple after 6 hours drive I didn't want to drive anymore. The post was just to let others know.

ChasB - 2010-06-28 4:34 PM We have just got back from the other side of the water having spent a few weeks in Alsace and the Alps avoiding most of the rain. Before catching the ferry back we spent a night at a so called aire; ( Its in the aires book, but it’s more a camping site) at Escalles near Calais. It’s called Les Erables Cap Blanc-Nez - 62179 Escalles Calais. I would only ever go there again as a last resort. Reason their pricing, which I will explain later. There were only Dutch, German and English motorhomes on the site there; and can only think that the French were not that stupid. The price for a night for a motorhome and two persons is as follows:- If you arrive in the day 12 euros. If you arrive in the evening 9 euros. Electricity 6amp 3 euros. Electricity 10amp 4.5 euros. To take on fresh water 3 euros. To dump your grey water 1 euro. A shower 1 euro. And to top that they charge taxe de sejour at 0.25 euros per person. That could be as much as 21 euros a night, so be warned. Every time another motorhome arrived the patron reminded me of the campsite owner in the carry on camping film; rubbing his hands together when he thought he could charge a little more.

It is not impossible the owner is exploiting language difficulties, but my understanding of the charges is:

1 night, 12/9 Euros (E), depending on time of arrival.

Electricity 6A 3E / 10A 4.50E.

Fresh water, if not staying, 3E

Dump grey waste, if not staying, 1E.

Shower, if not paying full site charge for 1 night, 1E.  Showers are not normally a feature of aires, so this seems to me reasonable.

The taxe de sejour is levied by the local council, not the site operator.

This all seems to me perfectly reasonable: it is a private, commercial, campsite from which the proprietor presumably makes most, if not all, of his living.

What he is offering is access to his water and dump facilities for passing vans that do not wish to stay, but just to fill or dump.  For this he charges, because he pays for water and drainage and otherwise has no way to recover his costs.

He charges extra for a shower because he is offering a reduced price motorhome stopover facility.  Motorhomers who want to use all the site facilities can pay the full one night all inclusive rate which usually includes water, dump, showers etc.  The other rates are preferential short stay rates.

If you want to use this site as an aire, therefore, and are only intending a quick stopover, stopping in the evening, and neither using electricity, water or dump facility, you can do so for 9E.  Arrive earlier, and you pay 12E.  Add the bells and whistles, and you pay what you would pay if using his campsite as a campsite.  Why should you expect to pay less?

Hi I have just checked the prices in my Aires books and they seem to be as you say, it is an Aire Privee, that is to say it is a private Aire and not a Municipal one and you always pay more on Privee Aires, did you know that you can stay free on the dock at Calais outside the shipping offices, no services but these are available at the beach Aire in Calais, also free if you only want services and not overnight ?? :-) :-)

Spend a kings ransome on buying a motorhome / diesel / running costs / etc etc and then moan about having to pay to park overnight after only 6 hours driving, I thought that was what the pleasure of owning a motorhome is all about !!

It’s not necessarily about payment but the quality of the experience. 

We pass through France/>/>/> most years and have only ever once paid something in the region of 3 euros for an overnight stop. There are so many good free aires in France, and so many very pleasant wild-camping opportunities, that we personally simply don’t even look at the ones where any payment is due. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to pay my way, but happiness is a night out amongst the wildlife or tucked away on a small and quiet aire in a sleepy rural village. The observation from the original post is a good one: any aire full of non-French ‘vans is unlikely to be a treasure. And any aire where payment is due is likely to have a good representation of non-French ‘vans. 

I’d happily pay double not to stay on a campsite or a crappy aire.

When in Rome/>/>…

crinklystarfish - 2010-06-28 6:10 PM

When in Rome/>/>…

But surely this implies that all of these particular Romans use only good aires, which is a misleading impression, because many of these Romans, (who are, of course, the French), stay on crappy aires, and on campsites.  I know this, because I read their letters in one of their motorhome magazines.

Just as with the Brits in France, there is a sharp, almost antagonistic, division between the aire buffs, and the non-aire buffs, even among the native motorhomers.

Not directed against the poster, but as a general comment: what I really don't understand, is why it matters so much to the members of the one camp what the members of the other camp do, that they feel the need to exchange smug platitudes, innuendos, and/or insults, about their respective preferences.  Why is that?  Is there some inferiority complex at work here? 

It is common to both nationalities, so are we closer in type than many would like to recognise?  :-)

From the above I don't think the price of the site is bad! If it's what you want, that's fine, at least you have a choice, stay or don't.

We prefer NOT to use a site simply because we like the freedom of stopping when we want, where we want, and having to book a site in advance is a pain. However, there are times when we DO use a CL - as the dogs do like to have a potter around we find CLs are much more spacious on the whole and less regimented so the dogs can have the freedom to potter outside the van without incurring the wrath of the 'warden'. I can't remember the last time we stayed on a 'proper' site, but we've stayed on some absolutely gorgeous CLs and if the need arises will do so again and will willingly pay for the priviledge.

There are those of us who like to go to motorhome shows and pay for the priviledge of staying on the field, rather than going to a 'proper' campsite or wildcamping, we all like different things for different reasons and at different times to suit our wants/needs ... long may it continue ...!

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-28 6:44 PM
crinklystarfish - 2010-06-28 6:10 PM

When in Rome/>/>/>/>…

But surely this implies that all of these particular Romans use only good aires, which is a misleading impression, because many of these Romans, (who are, of course, the French), stay on crappy aires, and on campsites…

Nah, not at all. I was speaking in general terms hence using words like ‘unlikely’. I absolutely accept that the ‘rule of thumb’ I proffered is fallible, but in my own experience the better aires are always well populated by French and the poorer ones heavily populated by non-French (or no one at all). I merely tried to highlight that by following this observed trend that the aire experience will usually be pleasant; according to my own value system, naturally. 

In my world ‘better’ = quiet, small and surrounded by ‘quintessential France/>/>’; ‘poorer’ = large, noisy, crammed and metropolitan. Each to their own though and I know many prefer the latter scenario. Good on them and viva la difference.  

Of course, people will have different values and hold different views, absolutely irrespective of nationality and I guess it’s a fairly common human trait to warm to other people that share similar values. I personally have no idea why holders of value ‘a’ see the need to undermine the holders of value ‘b’, maybe they do often try to validate their position because they are less than secure with it. It’s certainly a widespread phenomenon and it’s no surprise to learn that the French themselves are divided on a 'to-aire-or-not-to-aire' issue. 

I’d be interested to know how they generally view wild camping. We do that in France/>/> more often than bagging a rural aire and though no one ever seems to care in the slightest, it would be interesting to know if we were actually reviled!

Iv'e stopped at this site for a number of years, mainly when i was towing a caravan, but i still use it with the m/home and enjoy the view of the english channel. I find the staff friendly and the facilities clean,plus the price is on par with other sites in france(mainly municipal) that i use. I don't use aires cos i like to be able to open my door.

crinklystarfish - 2010-06-28 9:20 PM

I’d be interested to know how they generally view wild camping. We do that in France/>/> more often than bagging a rural aire and though no one ever seems to care in the slightest, it would be interesting to know if we were actually reviled!

Don't know if this may give a clue, translated from the French Wikipedia concerning wild camping (camping sauvage).

Within the broad framework of access to open areas, various countries accept the concept of camping without the need to obtain a landowner’s permission.  For example, Sweden, where this right is called the allemansrätt  - an ancient customary right incorporated into the Swedish constitution in 1994 – which sets out a framework within which rights of passage and overnight camping may be exercised.  On the other hand, more densely populated countries, such as Denmark and the Low Countries, ban wild camping.

In France, the legislation falls mid way between these extremes.  Wild camping is generally accepted, but is restricted in certain cases.

It is forbidden to camp:

·         In woods, forests and parks classified as nature parks (réserves naturelles).

·         On public roads or rights of way.

·         On the sea shores.

·         Within 200 metres of a natural water source used for human consumption.

·         Within an area of outstanding natural beauty (zones de protection du patrimoine) or an area of special scientific interest (zones de protection de la nature).

·         Within 500 metres of a scheduled ancient monument (monument historique classé ou inscrit).

·         Within areas as designated by municipalities or prefectural authorities.

Restriction notices will be erected at recognised points of access to all such areas. 

Any stay exceeding three consecutive months duration, outside equipped sites, must be authorised by the local mayor, who may not authorise stays exceeding three years.  Otherwise, in the absence of any other restriction, it is permitted to camp on public land.

Bye-laws generally prohibit wild camping within the boundaries of most towns, villages, and nature parks.  Such prohibitions are considered generally in conflict with the state authorised right to roam, which implies an equal right to park.  In nature parks (parcs naturels) bivouacking is generally tolerated, providing this does not constitute an abuse, and does not interfere with the rights and enjoyment of others.  Notices at the entrances to such parks will usually state what is permissible, for example “Camping interdit”, (No camping) “Bivouac autorisé” (Bivouac permitted).

Remember that land owners have ultimate right of decision over access to their land.

French law places an obligation on all communes to provide accommodation for disadvantaged individuals, interpreted as an obligation also to provide facilities for gypsies (les gens de voyage).  In Beziers, this interpretation has been taken to include provision for motorhomers (camping-caristes).

You may take advantage of this concept, even with a motorhome (camping-car):

1.   Respect the environment of the area in which you stop

2.   Minimalise the extent of your installation: you may bivouac, but generally, you may not camp (extend awning, lower steadies, place tables and chairs etc outside your van)

3.   Arrive late and leave early.

4.   Site yourself discreetly and thoughtfully.

5.   Do not spend the night in universally popular places, such as on beaches.

6.   If possible, always enquire of locals whether stopping is permitted or, if they know of the landowner, obtain his permission.

We all have differant Ideas of where we want to park as brian said the aire in Calais is reasonable but some sites in france are very expensive

As I am still fighting my case over my motorhome my sister offered me the use of her caravan and as there were some friends in Brittany I decided to check up what it would cost me

Admitted it was one of thoes Yellow village sites they wanted 615 euro`s for two weeks then I serched for ferry prices and from Plymouth to Roscoff it was £587 with the caravan

I then decided to look in to the possibility of a chalet with letsgo2france in Brittany in july and with the ferry and chalet all in for two weeks (and no caravan to tow) and the site has indoor/outdoor pool and a lot of ameanaties it was hundreds of pounds less so please remind me people why do we put up with site prices as you say you pays your money you takes your chances

It's ok Crinkly/Chas some of us know where you are coming from, there is alot of history with this guy and he is not popular with the locals either.

He had a hand in getting the Aire at Cap Nez closed and hey ho!! he opens his own private one, I wonder where is priority's where when he was doing all his complaining.

Of course his prices look ok as a site but he advertises all over the place as an Aire and he advertises along way off too.

Some people just seem to get bored on here and jump on any band wagon they can.

Loads of others for you to go for, at least you know now and have warned others that want to listen.

*-) *-) *-)

take care

Mandy

Brain, your understanding of the pricing is wrong!

On top of the 9.50 euros I paid, I was asked if I wanted any fresh water and if I wanted to dump any grey water for which there would be an extra charge. The same applied for the showers; nothing was inclusive of the full 1 night site fee.

The 9 and 12 euro fees were not a reduced rate for a motorhome stopover facility but appeared on the board outside the door the same price if you stayed there with a towing caravan or a tent. (A pitch for an outfit and two persons).

It is much quieter than the Bleriot Plage aire or the docks car park and commands better views but if you go there you will pay for fresh water and to dump your waste. If I stay on a municipal or private motorhome aire I expect sometimes to pay for fresh water but not to dump waste grey water.

My point in making the original post was to give information to others who may have thought about using this site / aire. The owner can charge what ever he likes it’s his livelihood, but I like other people use this and other forums to gain information and help and any advice and experiences either good or bad are a welcome source of information. But to have an inquest over a small piece of information about one site appears ‘over the top’. I now wish I’d not bothered.

Can I ask one question? Does anyone on the forum have a relative running a camp site near Calais, who may have campaigned to get most of the parking spaces on the coast road between Calais and Boulogne closed?

(lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-28 6:44 PM

I know this, because I read their letters in one of their motorhome magazine QUOTE]

You.... you...... read French?!?! TRAITOR! :-|

ChasB - 2010-06-29 4:30 PM Brain, your understanding of the pricing is wrong! On top of the 9.50 euros I paid, I was asked if I wanted any fresh water and if I wanted to dump any grey water for which there would be an extra charge. The same applied for the showers; nothing was inclusive of the full 1 night site fee. The 9 and 12 euro fees were not a reduced rate for a motorhome stopover facility but appeared on the board outside the door the same price if you stayed there with a towing caravan or a tent. (A pitch for an outfit and two persons). ............ My point in making the original post was to give information to others who may have thought about using this site / aire. The owner can charge what ever he likes it’s his livelihood, but I like other people use this and other forums to gain information and help and any advice and experiences either good or bad are a welcome source of information. But to have an inquest over a small piece of information about one site appears ‘over the top’. I now wish I’d not bothered. ...............

Then I apologise for querying your post, and am grateful for the clarification.  I should have found his price list very misleading under the circumstances, because I would have understood it as I interpreted it, mainly because I have previously encountered sites where charges are levied in the way I suggested.

It was not at all my intention to unleash "an inquest", just to be absolutely clear how he makes up his charges.  For what he appears to offer, the charges seem wholly disproportionate and your warning well founded.

Thanks for the wild camping information Brian, most useful. Happily it seems we’ve intuitively done the ‘right’ thing. The last thing we’d want to do is cause offence or spoil the locals’ amenity. 

In general, rather than being an inquest, the thread again simply throws up how aires are a totally mixed bag. I have seen plenty, where on payment or otherwise, ‘vans do cram in really tight and where the ‘opening doors’ comment would be well-founded. But there’s no obligation to stay there, and we ourselves simply don’t. 

There are also innumerable really pleasant ones where there is plenty of room, full services, and peace and quiet; all for free! 

Like most things in life, it sometimes takes a bit of effort to find a good spot to call home for the night, but I’d personally rather move further along the rough direction of travel for half an hour rather than spend the next 12 to 18 hours at the mercy of my neighbours’ nocturnal pleasures. 

Isn’t that why we bought motorhomes in the first place?

ChasB - 2010-06-29 4:30 PM

Brain, your understanding of the pricing is wrong!

On top of the 9.50 euros I paid, I was asked if I wanted any fresh water and if I wanted to dump any grey water for which there would be an extra charge. The same applied for the showers; nothing was inclusive of the full 1 night site fee.

The 9 and 12 euro fees were not a reduced rate for a motorhome stopover facility but appeared on the board outside the door the same price if you stayed there with a towing caravan or a tent. (A pitch for an outfit and two persons).

It is much quieter than the Bleriot Plage aire or the docks car park and commands better views but if you go there you will pay for fresh water and to dump your waste. If I stay on a municipal or private motorhome aire I expect sometimes to pay for fresh water but not to dump waste grey water.

My point in making the original post was to give information to others who may have thought about using this site / aire. The owner can charge what ever he likes it’s his livelihood, but I like other people use this and other forums to gain information and help and any advice and experiences either good or bad are a welcome source of information. But to have an inquest over a small piece of information about one site appears ‘over the top’. I now wish I’d not bothered.

Can I ask one question? Does anyone on the forum have a relative running a camp site near Calais, who may have campaigned to get most of the parking spaces on the coast road between Calais and Boulogne closed?

(lol)

This is very disappointing to hear but thanks for the warning. I have stayed at L'Escalles on several occasions and only been charged Euros 8-9 ish each time after CCI discount and that was all in except electricity. I wondered whether the tarif might change when I last visited and noticed that over-nighting by motorhomes in the nearby village square had been banned with shiny new signs - previously I had seen up to 4 French M/Hs there from late evening onwards.

Bob :-(

We stayed at Les Erables at Escalles 10 days ago. We like it because of the space and view - even of England. If you stay there you don't have to pay any extra for the dumping of waste and for picking up water, the charges are for those using the place as an aire without staying. The sanitary facilities are good and clean.

We usually stay on the docks at Calais before returning to England but sitting in the sun till 9pm with a couple of glasses or so of your favourite tipple beats most aires. After all aires are really vehicle parks where you are not supposed to leave tables and chairs etc out. Don't get me wrong, we spent more nights on aires on this holiday than on campsites, but campsites have their place too.

I found the bill. We paid 13 euros, 12 for the nights stay and 1 euro for two showers. No tax de sejour We (he) emptied the loo and waste tank, I filled 2 five litre bottles for drinking water, we put about 25 litres in the fresh water tank. To be fair, they don't sit in the reception all the time so someone could come in at night at empty/fill. There is an honesty box though.

Archived