Judge E bikes

Poppy

Guest JudgeMental

we have 2 Wisper bikes, not cheap but excellent quality, powerful batteries and very good customer support, and a proper 2 year warranty

http://www.wisperbikes.com/

have a look on this e bike specific forum before you buy anything....

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/

there are basically to types of bikes, the hub motor type with throttle that allow you to twist and go.

and the Panasonic crank drive system bikes from the likes, Kalkhoff, Raleigh and E motion. they have no throttle and are regarded as better hill climbers...But some don't like the pulse and restriction of Cadence (speed of peddling) the system requires...it kind of tells you how to ride to get the best out of it.

Important to try both types over a variety of terrain, then get back to us before you buy as I may be able to help further :-D

"what do we use them for"

basically everything! I hardly use the car now, and they are brilliant when on holiday. They just flatten those hills and turn cycling back into a pleasure.

If I go to say croydon shopping centre on the bike, it is faster, I park in the centre, no parking fee, and no fuel fee.

Bikes average speed in London is 12 mph, and a car 7 mph.

Just cycling past lines of stagnant, stop start traffic makes you really question the sanity of car use in an urban environment ......

Hi

Iv'e got an Alien Ocean electric bike, I got it in April and think its brillient, I wanted a bike that looked like a mountain bike and most of the other makes where really expensive, im talking over a £1,000 pounds plus, and the alien bike was £599, it has a 36v lithium battery and weighs 25kg including the battery.

It has pedel assist and a throttle and iv found the throttle is really good for pulling away especially if its a slight hill so the bike gets a bit of momentem and its easier to start peddling, iv'e used it for general cycling instead of using the car as its so easy to use, you dont start sweating, its quick, and you dont feel knackered when you get where your going, and ive also used it off road on bridle paths over the moors, and its managed rough tarrain very well.

I live in the pennines so there are a lot of hills and its great on them, you do actually feel your doing some excersise on steep long hills but its like someone is pushing you up and you dont feel like your going to die before you get to the top.

Im not very fit and a bit overweight but the bike has given me the confidence to get out there and know I wont have to push it up every hill :-D

There is a link for Alien ocean below but the website has changed since I bought my bike, mine looks like the Typhoon but they have altered it, the power control is now on the handlebars which is much better as sometimes if it was easy riding Id switch the power off but would have to lean back and switch it off at the battery and also there is now 3 power setting which would also be a good idea, if you could manage on a low setting then the battery will last longer.

http://www.alienbikes.co.uk/page7.htm

The Typhoon is a bit more expencive but I would definatly recommend Alien bikes.

Guest JudgeMental

Alien bikes are good and popular and were excellent value. Have shot themselves in the foot somewhat by upping the price considerably, competing now with other bikes, where they had that price band more or less to themselves..

you really get what you pay for with an e bike. the best use larger 14 amp batteries from "advance". Have stronger wheels and spokes (a weakness with cheap e bikes) better specified equipment all round *-)

Judge,

The wisper 705se looks good, any for/against buying from the internet verses a dealer?, I am concerned how the warrenty works if I buy from the internet at presumably a better price than from a dealer. Can you take your bike to any dealer around the country if it breaks down or as is the case with motorhomes " If you didn't buy from us then we do not want to know" .

thanks Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Mike, My wife has the 705 and I the 905. I guess your are better of buying a bike from a local dealer. Simply because if anything goes wrong, he has an interest in looking after you. if no dealer near you, buy mail order but discuss return/repair policy with them first. E Bikes Direct are pretty good guys.

motorhomes dealers are plain daft IMO. I cant get parts or a damp check for local'ish Euramobil dealer because I did not buy it from him...short sighted or what! :-S

Hi poppy

Theres a review of a Raleigh e bike in this months MMM that you might find interesting.

Also forgot to mention Alien Ocean also do bike convertion kits so you can convert your own bike to an E bike, thats how I first found them but it would have been a bit complicated to convert mine as it had front disk brakes and there mainly for v braked bikes.

Fiona

Guest JudgeMental
If you like the raleigh, which is the same as the Kalkhoff keep your eye on wiggle.co.uk as they where selling a more or less identical panasonic bike called the Technium Priviledge to the Kalkhoff Agutta for £900 (nearly half the price) all gone now but you never know....

Has anyone any comments on the folding Snooper e-bike in this months CC Magazine .

Seems cheap @ £649 then less £70 for CC members.

Range 25miles or 50 miles pedal assist.

Only considering one for convienence very local to sites, no serious cycling intended.

But would that be detrimental to the Battery ?

Guest JudgeMental

I would be very cautious regards buying the latest bling e bike...It is a big unknown, and the perils of being an early adopter are obvious.

anything like this, start a thread over on pedelec forum? some extremely knowledgeable people over there.......but I would wait till it was tried and tested.

Guest JudgeMental
You could have bought an electric kit for the Brompton....one of the best electric folders around :-S

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2010-07-01 11:05 AM

Well going to try the Raleigh.Have contacted wiggle and like the look of the batribike very much.Read the article in the MMM.The Raleigh has German engineering and Japanese electrics!

Raleigh identical bikes to the Kalhoffs...they are the same company and all powered by Panasonic.(remember no throttle so you have to peddle all the time)

as for the batribike it has been discussed and claims for range etc... rubbished over on pedelec forum. Just like motorhoming you really must not believe dealers :-D Also its a 26 volt system where better hub motor sytems (stronger performance) are 36 volt.

where are you trying the bikes? what other E bikes do they sell?

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2010-07-01 4:54 PM

Local dealers.Just want a bike to use with the van really.

as I said at the start, you need to at least try the two distinctly different types,

crank drive (Panasonic) and hub drive (most others) amongst the better ones being what we have...

what is the name of shop and where is it? and I will have a look on line and see what else they do......

JudgeMental - 2010-07-01 6:03 AM You could have bought an electric kit for the Brompton....one of the best electric folders around :-S

Looked at that option but MBH felt that with the bigger wheels the Batribike feels more stable, plus after using the Brompton for 3 years and then selling it on EB for around the same price that she paid it's a bit of a no brainer.

Guest JudgeMental

you will probably be better of with something like the wisper folder

there are two models: 806 alpino and 805 fe

http://www.wisperbikes.com/

I have posted a question over on pedelec asking re e bike shops liverpool area......

Guest JudgeMental

Supreme Cycles 42-52 Earle Street, Crewe CW1 2AT

01270 585 640

nearest I can find. He has a 24v 805 on demo and new ones are due in the country Thursday. I have no idea where you live but if you can try that one it will tell you if the bike is right for you.....dont buy the 24 v though

I know someone who does good deals so PM me if you like it.

Archived