Towing a car

tonyfletcher

Hi

Just had an interesting conversation with my Car Insurer. The vehicle is covered Comprehensively solo, but is not covered at all when being towed behind the Motorhome. It then becomes the responsibilty of the Motorhome Insurance.

Currently the Motorhome insurance will only cover the towed vehicle for 3rd party.

I just wanted to let others know

It could just be the limitations my car Insurer Admiral??

Any comments welcome

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

It is (or was) possible to insure an A-framed car both on and off the A-frame, including it becoming disconnected while being towed.

This was mentioned in a magazine many months ago. I probably still have the mag, but am not too keen to browse through a big pile..... unless it is VERY important. Er ... probably MMM, about 12 to 24 months ago ?????

Hi,

Re A-Frames

If you are over 50 have a word with Saga.

1 The car is Fully Comp all the time. eg when your car is parked at the side of the road it is unoccupied but still fully comp.

2 There is no surcharge for having and A-frame fitted as it is not performance enhancing.

3 If someone hits the towed car they are to blame

4 If you hit someone with the towed car the M/H insurance is to blame but does not cover the towed car ( insured to tow a trailer but not to cover the trailer ) and in that instance you would not be covered by M/H insurance. Car will still be covered by fully comp in case of accident.

Car on a trailer

You must have specific trailer insurance for the load carried !!!! Car is still covered by fully comp insurance

Richard

Richard, I think you're contradicting yourself on the "car on a trailer" bit (or was there a typo?). The MH insurance will probably (depends on the insurer) cover the trailer 3rd party, but not the car that's on it. For that, your car insurance needs to cover...I found very few would, but Peart and Quotea will (although you'll need to be clear what you're doing so they select the correct underwriter/policy). From what I could see, the only way of insuring the trailer itself fully comp was on yet another policy.

As far as insurance on an a-frame is concerned, Admiral's position is pretty common. I've heard it said that NFU and Saga will cover fully comp. Once again, Peart have a specific policy with Royal and Sun Alliance to do so.

Irritatingly, I've just had to cancel/re-initiate my car insurance...after carefully researching to find someone who would insure on a trailer, now I've chosen to go back to an A-frame I find they won't cover. Bah! Top tip, Peart's policy covers both.

Paul

Archived