Tomtom

chas

HI- I am looking to buy a new tomtom, a simple one will do with a 4inch screen aprox. UK maps only will be fine, but looking around there never seems to be any mention if a particular model as a vehicle size that can be set.

My old Mio is able to be set to "lorry" which I found reasuring for the motorhome. Anyone bought a tomtom with these simple points as mentioned above. Many Thanks.

Guest Tracker

I use a GO730 all over the UK and mainland Europe from Norway to Gibraltar and it works just fine even though the unupdated maps are now four years old.

I never worry about vehicle sizes as I just use my judgement and common sense and read the road signs and warnings before turning down a supicious looking byroad and have never got stuck yet.

Mind you we have had some very interesting detours!

Just as well my van has a usable reverse gear too!

It's all part of the fun and adventure of exploring new places - well it is to us!

We all manged perfectly well in the pre satnav age - or did we?

The Tom Tom HGV version is expensive & did require Possible alternative annual subscription (not sure if this still applies)

Possible alternative - which enables you to enter in your Height & Length.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_728669_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

Other sources may be cheaper, I haven't checked but just used this link to show the model.

As you are familiar with the Mio, this model has tunnel guidance

Mio Navman 470 Sat Nav - UK & ROI

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_782315_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

I don't have any experience of either

The Tom Tom HGV version is expensive & did require Possible alternative annual subscription (not sure if this still applies)

Possible alternative - which enables you to enter in your Height & Length.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_728669_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

Other sources may be cheaper, I haven't checked but just used this link to show the model.

As you are familiar with the Mio, this model has tunnel guidance

Mio Navman 470 Sat Nav - UK & ROI

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_782315_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

I don't have any experience of either

Thanks for the replies, from the prices mentioned I dont think I will bother, it seems daft that with all the features built into todays wonder machines they cant find room for such an option. My old Mio suits me but the mapping is over 4 years old and does not appear to offer uploads, and has sometimes gone awry on some new roads.

I alwas keep up date road atlases in the van anyway. 8-)

I have a tom tom one in works car and got an RAC one from Halfords for the van. It has lorry setting however I wouldnt rely on this setting as it either takes you way further to get to your destination or takes you up narrow roads just the same. Having used sat nav for work and recreation for quite some time now I can report that you cannot beet a map and common sence particularily in the van. There ok in towns or city centers when its difficult to read signs quick enough but forget it for general journeys IMO.

Guest Tracker

I think that map updates are over rated - except by the purveyors of same - because whenever you do get a new main road - and there are not many new non main roads - it is generally well signed and the sat nav will soon pick up when you rejoin the old road.

Even allegedly new maps are often two years old and often they do not include some minor roads that have been there for several years, especially newer housing areas, but that is not so important because when you are close you can usually find where you want to go by using the postcode and mark one eyeball.

It is essential in my view to have full postcode search as a partial postcode is most unhelpful in a large vehicle - especially if you have a suspect reverse gear!

With road atlases costing about £1.99 a new one every year will not break the bank and when you compare this year's with last year's how many changes can you actually find - and how many of those would actually confuse a sat nav or a competent driver? Very few I venture to suggest?

I agree it's essential to have a Road Map and more importantly to have a overview of your route. (main interchanges, Towns, Cities, en-route)

But the new models of Sat Nav's entering the market should have a distinct advantage when it comes to being able to enter your Height, Width & Length for route planning.

I can't recall any of our Road maps, indicating Bridge heights or even "Low Bridge", so Road Maps are not infallable.

Archived