Tyres--Which manufacturer ?

Wislon

I believe there are three manufacturers of "camping" tyres----Continental, Michelin & Pirelli. In my area (Surrey-Hampshire borders) they are priced as follows Pirelli £95 (under offer), Continental £115 and Michelin £140.

Has anyone experience of Continental or Pirelli? A saving of £180 is attractive but only if it is safe.

I have an 05 registered Autocruise but the tyres were made in July 2003 so the time has come to change as we are off to France later in the year.

Here’s a little secret, but don’t tell anyone. 

It’s all a con. You can use any tyres you like as long as they are suitably rated. I myself use Avon Ranger ATs. They are, as the name suggests, all terrain tyres with a 50/50 weighting for road/trail use. They perform just as well as ‘camping’ tyres on the road (I’ve previously had Contis and Michelin) and have the added advantage of never getting you into embarrassing difficulties on wet grass, mud, gravel, snow, you name it really. 

A further trick I’ve employed is to increase the ‘air pocket’. My original tyres were 215/70 and I’ve gone up to 235/75. The resultant increase in air pocket has a superb effect of taking some of the harshness out of a standard X250 suspension (at 60/65PSI) with the added advantage of now making the speedo read correctly. It previously over-read by about 10%. 

I’ve previously used Cooper all terrain tyres and these too were super. It’s quite amusing to see the faces of people that fear wet grass when we move around wet fields with disdain. 

Oh, and you’ll save a wedge too. 

Here’s us not being stuck whilst rough camping last winter, and what they look when they’re on (raised white lettering mounted to inside faces).

[Edit for spelling only]

1538799345_281220091030a(Custom).jpg.78c0fb5d0c3b00f1a756eed9ad57e0e0.jpg

612109843_310120101074(Custom).jpg.0e5ae1163bbe46a756ef74d6d2e0d8f5.jpg

Well, yes, and no, Lord Copper!

The "camping" designated tyres are given characteristics that other "light commercial tyres" may not share.  For instance, the campers are generally constructed to one load rating higher than the casing says. i.e. an 8PR camping tyre will be likely to have a 10PR casing.  This is a nod to the likelihood the user won't check the axle loads, so is liable to overload the vehicle.  If you check your laden weight, and your axle loads, and you know you are not overloading, then there is no need to pay a premium for "camping" tyres: any light commercial tyre of suitable load and speed rating can be used.

Regarding increased section, it cannot be assumed this will work.  Sidewall clearances in some vans are very tight, which is why Transits, for example, require reduced section front tyres if chains are to be fitted.  Just arbitrarily upping the section may result in sidewalls chafing inner wings, front or rear, depending on axle position relative to chassis, or outer wheel arch edges.  So, check if they are an approved alternative fitting before leaping in. 

Also, check the rolling diameter, to be sure they do not create inaccurate speedometer readings.  If the increased section is an approved fitting, the latest speedometers can be re-set electronically by a dealer to compensate for the changed rolling diameter.

Of the three "campers", I have read one review that found the Pirellis gives a softer ride than the others.  It used to be claimed the Michelin cases were inherently better balanced than most others, so wheel balancing was achieved with fewer weights.  Chat to a fitter to see if this is still the view.  All are good, reliable, tyre manufacturers, and there is no particular reason to chose one over the others on quality grounds.  Biggest contribution to comfort (plus safety and handling) is to properly match the tyre pressures to the axle load and not to just follow the handbook recommendation which, again, assumes a safety margin against overloading.

All I can tell you is that we have just had some of the new expensive Micheline tyres fitted to the front of our Rapido to replace some older Micheline tyres and there is a noticeable improvement in ride and handling. How they compare to the alternatives I have obviously have no idea.

I should, of course, have been rather less lazy and made explicit the issues of making sure any ‘oversize’ tyres physically fit, they should be tested at full lock and full suspension compression before any major journey. Watch also brake lines and wiring looms that terminate at the hub. I was aware that some tyres fitted by manufacturers are already really too large for the wheel apertures. Cheers to Brian for the usual precision and detail. 

The ‘camper’ tyres I’ve had weren’t worth the ‘luxury market’ premium. The Michelins started perishing on the sidewalls at about 3.5 years and the Continentals were very harsh. They had very little sidewall compliance.

Guest Tracker
When you fit all terrain tyres on a 4x4 they tend to increase road noise - dramatically in some cases depending of the severity of the tread pattern - is this also a factor on a motorhome - or is the ruddy van already so noisy anyway that you can't hear the difference!

I expect that the extra noise that 'vans generate when compared to modern cars does help in this regard.

The Avon Rangers I currently use are no more audible than the 'proper' designated camper tyres they replaced (Contis). This is true with windows up or down. However, the Coopers I used before had a bit of a hum at about 40mph, thereafter they too were no noisier than standard road tyres. The Coopers had a 60% off road bias. The hum was never intrusive though and could really only be heard with the windows down.

Other makes / models I can't comment on.

I maintain that any suitably rated light commercial tyres are suitable for our hobby and if anyone spends any time off asphalt then the 4x4 / M+S option is a winner.

Having found myself in one or two isolated scrapes with regular tread patterns on FWD heavily laden 'vans, I will never go back to normal road tyres again.

Hi Colin, I changed our Michelin Camper tyres for the then new Michelin Agilis Camping tyre.

The differences were remarkable. Firstly I'm quite confident mpg improved, although not being one who keeps a record I have no evidence.

Secondly and more importantly for us, the road noise levels dropped dramatically, the first motorway run was like we'd gone for a run in the Lexus. If we had one :D

Whilst I haven't looked, (why would I?), I would expect to be able to beat the £140 you have been quoted, I finished up at £90 ish I think with Kwik Fit, just Google Michelin Agilis and see what you get.

Choice? You pays your money etc etc, but I wanted a top quality brand tyre and like for like was a no brainer for me, after all, it's the only thing between you and the road.

Anyone proffering any lectures about saving money or you wasted your dosh, please don't bother.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

I fitted Hankooks about 10 years ago after the originals went square, technically I suspect they are proably due for replacement again based on age, but they are showing no signs of the usual cracking and still look fine, I have asked at a tyre dealers if they should be replaced and they said they were fine.

I suspect being garaged helps as the sun can not do its worst :-)

Archived