Gas alarms Are they really needed Travelling?

greem1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greem 1

as it has been said if you feel better having a narcotic gas alarm then get one!! its not been proved or disproved that attacks happen.

as this thread has gone onto C0/C02 you can get alarms for this plus smoke alarm which is just as important, there is an alarm which does all these combined (i think)

now onto security... Laura are you seriously saying that you would tackle a knife wielding thug? i would think twice!

on a lighter note i come up with the senario......

assuming the intruder has not killed himself on his getaway scooter, caused by motorhomers discharging there grey waste on the road(see waste thread) also if he/she is still alive and not caught a deadly disease from the said waste...they then have to get through chains, padlocks, dogs just to get in the van.. then they get blasted in the face with a fire extinquisher, smacked on the head with a maglite/ fire extin then when they are staggering about and putting there hands down for support... you chop there fingers off with an axe >:-) nice, very nice im loving that (lol) (lol)

this could be a movie

"the motorhomer strikes back" or "RV revenge" :->

the criminal fraternity if your reading this.. BE AFRAID...BE VERY AFRAID..

DONT MESS WITH US MOTORHOMERS :D :D :D :D :D

Re Campsites have their fair share of problems. News to me we`ve been on sites throughout Europe for the past 15 years and have never come across problems ourselves. You only have to look at the way people leave bikes, chairs etc out all night on many site to show they have confidence in finding them there next morning. Its not something we do you have to be realistic and accept something may go missing, but the chances of being broken into and threatened is somewhat remote, more than you can say about sleeping in laybys - sorry aires.

Mirage - you seem to be under the misconception that a layby is an aire. They are 2 very different things. I suggest you try some proper overnight aires, in some of the most beautiful locations, before dismissing them all.

969425844_AIRE1.jpg.efe3a1bde73b6c6c265e936a05c0f442.jpg

1036982726_AIRE3.jpg.54cad0fd52e5a9e286bca887c02898d0.jpg

780576942_AIRE4.jpg.0ac4bbcaece4c6a26e14c7ee956dddd2.jpg

silverback - 2010-07-06 7:14 PM

Greem 1

as it has been said if you feel better having a narcotic gas alarm then get one!! its not been proved or disproved that attacks happen.

as this thread has gone onto C0/C02 you can get alarms for this plus smoke alarm which is just as important, there is an alarm which does all these combined (i think)

now onto security... Laura are you seriously saying that you would tackle a knife wielding thug? i would think twice!

on a lighter note i come up with the senario......

assuming the intruder has not killed himself on his getaway scooter, caused by motorhomers discharging there grey waste on the road(see waste thread) also if he/she is still alive and not caught a deadly disease from the said waste...they then have to get through chains, padlocks, dogs just to get in the van.. then they get blasted in the face with a fire extinquisher, smacked on the head with a maglite/ fire extin then when they are staggering about and putting there hands down for support... you chop there fingers off with an axe >:-) nice, very nice im loving that (lol) (lol)

this could be a movie

"the motorhomer strikes back" or "RV revenge" :->

the criminal fraternity if your reading this.. BE AFRAID...BE VERY AFRAID..

DONT MESS WITH US MOTORHOMERS :D :D :D :D :D

THANKS, best post yet. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

.......Whilst over on the 'Motorhome Fun' forum (remember... the one that was always going to be free) 'ringleader' Jim is trying to tempt back errant 'Funsters' by offering a free download of:-'The Motorhome Security Handbook'if they subscribe their £12.00. P.A. to continue to post on 'his' forum!

I quote:-"160 pages -- comprehensive, easy-to-learn tips & tricks-- to keep you out of harm's way". Or:-"Don't leave home without it, ...crime might easily touch any one of us" -- "This scares us" -- etc.etc.

Strewth! Now we know where Laura got her Guantanamo attitude from!

Heavens above! Like Brian, I hope to take reasonable precautions, but this is beyond belief!

We are very new to motorhoming,and have not yet toured abroad, (perhaps the xenophobes in the 'motorhome community' will tell me that it is different 'over there'?) but I really didn't expect this level of paranoia!

Surely most of this is 'urban myth'? (We in country districts always used to leave the doors open so that friends & neighbours could drop in for a cuppa tea & a chat) Where's the proof?

Yours,

'disillusioned of Wiltshire'

Colin.

Lol some very funny replies. :-D

I think its a case of life experiences if you never come across these things then you laugh at others who take what you think is paranoid steps.

Its a bit like wearing a seat belt you do so becasue you are aware of the danger of not doing so may well mean landing yourself in front on the car after flying out of the windscreen.

Bit late to start wearing one (if) you survive isnt it really.

And to answer someone who asked if I would tackle a criminal with a knife no I would not and neither would my partner (a reality self defence instructor)unless he felt he was in a position to do so safely which would only be possible with an equaliser!

Some people are so blazie and candy floss its as outragous to us as our actions are to them.

Some lovely pictures of some lovely ''isolated'' laybys there.

We were at a similar place last summer and an Italian camper came up to us with what seemed to be the leg off the table asking if we had seen who had reached into his van and stole his bag while he was lay back relaxing with the sliding door open!

Other Italians had guard dogs that slept under the van so I guess its not just us who think about security.

As to this so called book on motorhome security it would be interesting to know who has written it and what background they have. As there are a lot of people out there who write such books and videos who give very poor and dangerous information out.

Going back on topic I wonder how effective a co2 fire extenguisher is at putting a motorhomer to sleep in a confined space?

I know anestetic gas is not that effective if at all.

Symbol Owner - 2010-07-07 11:11 AM

Heavens above! Like Brian, I hope to take reasonable precautions, but this is beyond belief!

We are very new to motorhoming,and have not yet toured abroad, (perhaps the xenophobes in the 'motorhome community' will tell me that it is different 'over there'?) but I really didn't expect this level of paranoia!

Colin paranoia suggests something that is based upon the unrealistic.

We speak from experience and base our decissions on ''reality''.

You usually find people are very egotistical about their personal security until they become a victim.

Sorry if that takes you out of your comfort zone *-)

We still enjoy our camping even more so now we are better informed.

Hi,Laura,

It doesn't look as though you and I are likely to agree on this one -- but -- a couple of quick points:-

1.)The Motorhome Security handbook (if you are interested) can be found at:-

www.motorhome-books.com -- I quote:- (again!) "Aimed exclusively at the motorhome user, at home and abroad, written by one of the country's leading personal protection experts - who also happens to be an avid motorhome enthusiast"

2.) paranoia -- my Oxford dictionary defines it as:- "unjustified suspicion and mistrust of others" As an ex-mental health Social Worker (well-drilled in notions of personal safety) I know that there is another,more delusional definition, but it is the above meaning that I had in mind.

We are both going to have to accept ( as you and Brian have done) that mature, experienced people can come to very different decisions on this one, but, I do not believe myself to be naive or blase (should have an acute accent on it!) just because I don't see the necessity of being over-prepared for the unlikely event of malicious attacks -- sound like the 18th. Century attitude to highway robbery to me! And -- it is certainly not a male ego thing -- at 65 years, 5'9", and 8 1/2 stones I have never counted violent methods of self- defence as being in any way appropriate to my situation -- although I have talked my way out of a few difficult situations in my time, --but would never count on it!

Regards,safe motorhoming,wherever the road takes you,

Colin

P.S. I thought that the gas used to narcotise sleeping motorhomers was likely to be ether? Certainly the advert for a three-way alarm (r.e.above)seems to think so.

C.

1. We wont agree becasue my point of view is based on real experiences ''facts'' not an idea or thought or opinion just ''facts'' so no.

The fact you worked in a ''controlled enviroment'' with rules and procedure for the mentally ill does not mean you are trained in the outside world where there are no rules to protect you becasue criminals do not care about those rules, but ego has prevented you from seeing this and luckily up till now you have never had to deal with that level of violence.

2. The person who wrote the book on motorhome security is not known or recognised as anyone in the security industry in regards to self protection.

3.We never plan to deal with a situation that is difficult with violence first and foremost we are just prepared if it went that way (based on past experience) better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Prevention is better than cure and a whole book of cliches ect.

The law clearly states if you feel a person is going to commit an offense apon your person you can use reasonable force to protect yourself including a pre emptive attack.

Just becasue you feel you can talk a situation down does not mean the other person is going to allow you to.

Paranoid is not our state of mind as our experiences are not read from the dictionary or a book just from real life.

Your Oxford definition can be read as exactly as I described it originally.

Happy travels.

crinklystarfish - 2010-07-08 1:52 PM For anyone really concerned with security, here's a possible solution.

Nah!  Its the elephants, you see, and the rhinos.  Won't work.  You'll never keep them out.  Then there's the giraffes - they'd just reach down through the rooflights!

Brian Kirby - 2010-07-08 6:56 PM
crinklystarfish - 2010-07-08 1:52 PM For anyone really concerned with security, here's a possible solution.

Nah!  Its the elephants, you see, and the rhinos.  Won't work.  You'll never keep them out.  Then there's the giraffes - they'd just reach down through the rooflights!

......and it might sink the ferry. :-(

As this thread seems to have gone off into the realms of general security measures, let me add my tuppence worth.

We HAVE had our motorhome attacked - it was pelted with bricks whilst we were asleep insite in an OFFICIAL aire, next to a river on the outskirts of a small town. The chances of it happening again are extremely low. We are careful where we park and the above was just very bad luck, in the right place but at the wrong time apparently. It was very, very frightening and upsetting and at first it makes you very wary, but there's not way we were going to let it stop us from doing what we love.

We just do as we have always done, park where we feel safe and that it is sensible to do so, thats all we can do. It's not foolproof as we found out but we've been motorhoming in one form or another since 1996 and this is the first time we've ever had anything like this happen.

Are we paranoid? No. Do we feel the need to take loads of extra security precautions as you do Laura? No. We put things out of sight, never leave equipment (Tom Tom, camera, netbook etc, etc) out when we're not there, or overnight when asleep. Bags, wallets, keys etc 'sleep' with us or are hidden well out of the way. We have 2 dogs but the last thing we would want them to do is attack an intruder as we wouldn't want the dogs to risk being hurt.

Laura, if you feel able, are you willing to tell us something about the 'incident' or 'fact' that you keep referring to so that it may enlighten us as to why you do what you do? You are very much entitled to do whatever you see fit to make you feel safe and secure, I am certainly not questioning that in any way, but it would be useful to know, to coin a phrase, "where you are coming from". :-S

Hi Mel B.

Ive found that dogs tend to naturally guard you regardless of what you tell them if they feel someone is threatening especially if its in their breed to do so.

You say we have loads of security that you feel you do not need?

Erm you already have most of it as they are basic items in most campers.

The diference is being trained and being aware of what incedental objects can be used for other than their desgned purpose in the event of being attacked!

You said you were lucky when you had bricks thrown at your van which is true. But if you were dragged out of your van and battered half to death and raped I dare say you would'nt be so quick to judge.

Oh but no it will never happen to you as these things rarely go on do they?

Especially when you have had how many glasses of wine?

And your partner has had how many beers?

Being carefull were you park?

So many times I hear this unfounded statement.

Do you know every layby and where to park all over the UK an Europe?

No you dont and neither do we.

Naturally you dont park in obvious places that could be dodgy but lets face it how do you really know its not.

Truth is you dont. *-)

As you said its not fool proof but the ''fact'' of the matter is it only has to happen once to harm you or worse.

That is the ''reality'' you and others choose to belive.

So are you trained and prepared to protect yourself?

Please feel free to enlighten us on your expertise in reality self defense.

I could start giving out facts and statistics but most of you seem happy to live in candy floss land and insist it never happens and will never happen to you.

Good luck and I will leave it at that becasue if you cant get it why should I try to convert you to take your own personal safety seriously beyond what you think is paranoid....

Laura,  

Trying to get my head round this and not sure if you and your other half are genuinely in a constant state of readiness for attack or whether you’ve ended up painting yourself into a corner because of pressure to defend your choices.

I note that all you really do that’s different to most is chain up your doors and the rest of the armoury is just creative deployment. I guess it’s a fairly obvious concept if you are into ‘reality self defence’.  

I ‘get’ it to a point as I’ve travelled through places like Bogotá, the slums of Rio, and even Manchester/>/>. However, the two times I’ve been burgled, and the one time I was beaten by 5 blokes have been in my home county. Reputations are often worse than reality.

I’m far from blasé, and am wary of crime, but understand that the vast majority of the Europe/>’s population stop short of violent theft. I’d suggest all we really need to do is pick stopovers to the best of our ability and have a healthy awareness.

I absolutely accept that being a victim is always a possibility but don’t let it dominate my travels. I’m not sure that you do either but it hasn’t really come over that way sometimes. It’s come over almost like you set off with the sole objective of steering clear of violent crime rather than to enjoy travelling experiences but I don’t think that’s what you meant to convey.

Is that right?

Oh, and the only people who persist with the myth of gas attacks are people who sleep heavily, and people who sell gas alarms.

Just back from our latest trip to France/Spain and catching up. First thread I read is this one and thought not that old gas attack thing again, then read post by Laura. This is a windup surely, no one would ever go on holiday in a M/H if they felt these precautions were remotely required. I would sell the van if i were you Laura and look for a good second hand Shermon tank.

"I could start giving out facts and statistics but most of you seem happy to live in candy floss land and insist it never happens and will never happen to you."

Laura, I for one wish you would give some of the above. 

For two reasons: first, I should like to understand what it is you wish to warn us of, and second, if I knew better what that was, I could learn from you, and give better thought to how I should avoid it.

Until you give us some facts and statistics, it is very difficult to leave "candy floss land" and understand what the realities are.

I can't help that, I just haven't experienced what you clearly have experienced, so I simply don't understand what you are trying to warn me, and others, about. 

It's a bit like trying to explain snow to someone who lives in the Sahara: until they can see it and feel it, the words remain just that - words.  Hope that doesn't sound dismissive, it is not intended to be.

Randonneur! I'm with you 100% on this one!

Gassing people through fridge, air con or window vents in any robbery from a motorhome, lorry, villa or other type of residence is a load of Bollo**s and there has never been ANY medical, forensic or legal proof of anyone anywhere having it done to them.

The special forces in Russia tried it a few years ago during a hostage siege in a theatre and ended up killing loads of people. They had days to set it up, limitless funds to provide the correct equipment, access to the best medical experts to advise them and they still couldn't do it. So does ANYONE really think a bunch of potential robbers, with no technical expertise, no access to aneasthetic gasses in bulk, limited time and during darkness with no lighting could manage it?

Grow up people, get a life and move on to something relevent to life with a motorhome.

Archived