Electric Bikes

william1

We are thinking about buying a couple of Powacycle Windsor electric bikes. After reading reviews etc. they seem to be a good buy. One reservation I have is fitting them on our Fiamma cycle rack as they have no cross bars.

Any comments would be most welcome.

W.

Guest Tracker

Having followed vans with electric bikes on the back and seen how the racks bend and sway on bends and bumps you need to be totally sure that the rack and just as importantly the way it is fixed to the van are up to the added weight.

Guest JudgeMental

if you take the batteries out that is approx 40kg on the rack. this is far from ideal..handling will be affected with the high centre of gravity and weight back out behind rear axle. by all means give it a go and see how it feels. Another point is it is impossible to secure bikes on a fiamma rack as they are so weak so theft is a real problem.

better idea is a motorhome with a garage...or tow bar mounted rack (one with 50 + kg capacity) no heavy lifting and can be secured through tow bar with heavy motorbike lock and chain.

The windsors are OK'ish but a bit long in the tooth.....have look on pedelec e bike forum

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/

I carry 2 giant twist bikes with batteries removed on my rack. I have a 2 bike fiamma rack which has a max weight of 60kg. Have no handling problems with them on and I use the seat down tubes to attach the upper clamps. Bought the bikes from Edinburgh Electric bike shop where you can arrange a trial run or hire.

we carry two on our bike rack and as another user says our fiamma carries 60k weight and each of our bikes weigh 24 k that's with the batteries but we always take the batteries out when travelling anyway, as to the security of them we wind our bike locks around the bikes and the bike rack and cover them with the fiamma cycle cover to keep the rain off them and not to advertise what they are anyway ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Sorry but a fiamma rack is made of thin aluminium tube.......Can be dismantled or cut through with very little effort *-)

Guest JudgeMental
thebishbus - 2010-07-06 5:31 PM

Hi I think if anybody is that determined to steal the bikes, they will have them anyway , no matter how secure you think they are, and maybe something else as well. *-)

Brian B.

£1 shop hack saw will do the trick......hardly determined. it has been known for these racks with bikes, to be pulled of the back of a van complete. You will have to be determined and a well equipped thief ( with x ray vison) to steal mine. not daft enough I'm afraid to leave 2 bikes worth 3k on a fiamma rack :-S

it is the opportunist thief you need to worry about, nothing will stop a professional bike theif....but the numerous bikes stolen on Calais Aire and such like are not taken by pro's

Hi we use a Halfords" hang on" rack fastened to tow bar not ball . it weighs about 5 Kgs and supports our 2 bikes ( one electric and one normal ) total weight of bikes 36Kg. No problems with an extended tour round Italy and down to Torremolinos Spain in last year/Time consuming to load up (easier to uinload) Each bike padlocked to rack. We use a halfords clip on cross bar ( about £20 in my memory) and this has worked well. Found bikes needed an extra strap to stop from rocking fore and aft. Otherwise OK

Archived