Braemar Highland Games

limerick

Hi

I was thinking of visiting the Braemar Highland Games for the day but I left it too late and the campsite is full. Wondering if any of you have been there on the day and if there are places to park for a motorhome .

Thanks

limerick

blairgowrie sits at the entrance to the glen that braemar is in, and celebrates braemar night. it has a pleasant campsite. if that is full, there is a carpark in the town centre (the wellmeadow) which has 4 lorry bays in which it is permitted to park for 72 hours (there is also a public toilet across the road). i have spent many a weekend overnighting here. (the carpark may well be used for braemar night so it would be wise to contact the tourist office for details). :-D

There is a car park at the ski centre in Glenshee where you can stay overnight. The village is very busy on the day and parking is very difficult for a camper. There are parking places on the way in from Glenshee and you could cycle in.

If you drive out of Braemar on the road towards Linn of Dee there are two picnic sites on the right overlooking the Dee. As far as I remember there are no overnight parking restrictions and you can walk into Braemar in 30 minutes, better still bike it.

I worked at the Braemar Games for several years at the Traffic Points, and on the A93 coming from Aberdeen there is field(s) which they use for very large car parks which are free parking, and there are free buses which run continually during the day back/fore to the games arena. Also coming into Braemar from the South ( Blairgowrie - Glen Shee area) there will signs directing you to car parks. NO PARKING IN THE VILLAGE AND VEHS WILL BE TOWED AWAY !! It would be best to arrive in Braemar on the Friday night as traffic on Sat morning will be very busy. Out of Braemar ( 5 mls) is the Linn of Dee with a large car park (NTS) £2 per day where you can park overnight, also a great scenic and easy walking area, where you can see herds of red deer, buzzards etc.

In Braemar on sat night (10:30 +) usually some of the pipe bands parade up & down the main street (nae very sober).

come and enjoy it, we may even be up there ourselves/ Look for an Elddis 120.

Cheers Scotsbob

Hi again Limerick, I was looking thru' my local Caravan club north centre rally list, and they are holding a rally at the Braemar games from Fri 3rd to sun 5th sept in the field next to Braemar Castle. No hook up and own Sanitation essential. Cost = Rally fee £6 : Site Fee £6 per nite all +Vat Must be prebooked with a non ret £10 fee.................. Send bookings to Mike Parkinson 9 Braecroft Cresc Westhill Aberdeen AB32 6RJ.

If your a member of the Caravan Club this could poss help you, or alternatively there is the option in my previous message.

Cheers Scotsbob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Limerick, Have looked up rally book and have e-mail address for

Mike Paterson = mjr2411513@tiscali.co.uk.

Another guy is the Rally Organising Sec - Bruce Fenton,

23 Newburgh Way, Bridge of Don, Aberdeen AB22 8SZ

(unfort. no e-mail address shown).

Hope this helps and you manage to book.

Anything else you can get back to me.

Scotsbob.

Archived