Front door deadlocks

hallii

I enquired about having deadlocks and garage door locks fitted to my Ford based Hymer and was quoted £400 (ish).

I then went to my local locksmith who sourced all the parts for just over £100.

So I fitted them myself.

If you are handy with a spanner and DIY it is not rocket science.

Just measure twice and cut once!

It took me a day and a half, next time I could do it in a day easy!

£300 a day sounds like good money, I might come out of retirement!

Hallii

JohnP - 2010-07-05 8:16 PM

How old is your Ford? Mine is early 2009 and the front doors were fitted with deadlocks as standard. Two presses of the central locking key required.

Mine is 2007 and the locks are separate and additional to the vehicle standard ones. You might be surprised at how easy it is for someone with the knowledge to open you locked doors!

Hallii

Guest JudgeMental
hallii - 2010-07-05 9:09 PM

How old is your Ford? Mine is early 2009 and the front doors were fitted with deadlocks as standard. Two presses of the central locking key required.

Mine is 2007 and the locks are separate and additional to the vehicle standard ones. You might be surprised at how easy it is for someone with the knowledge to open you locked doors!

Hallii

Correct......that is why as well as Heosafe dead locks we also have commercial armour plates over keyhole as well *-)

http://www.directlocks.co.uk/vehicle-locks-vehicle-armour-plates-c-182_287.html

Brian Kirby - 2010-07-05 5:02 PM

Good!  Now, are you going to tell us what you got/fitted, and where?  Then, anyone with a less knowledgeable locksmith, or no locksmith at all, could do likewise.  :-D

OK, They are called Euro deadlocks (that's the generic name for them, there are lots of makes, good ones cost more like Garrison Chubb etc)

You need the cylinders as well, and that's where you need a locksmith, they come in various lengths and types of keys, I was told to use 5 pin Garrisons, I think 60 mm ones.

http://www.van-locked.co.uk/

Has some good pictures (second one from the left) and information.

The garage door ones are like these http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Enfield_Garage_Door_Lock.html

But I had to pack them out a bit to clear the door seals / edge trim.

hallii

EDIT :- I will speak to my locksmith first, I am not sure he will want to advise over the phone, I think a visit for a look see is essential.

Only applies to UK sourced base vehicles, UK is the only country to fit deadlocks as standard.

lennyhb - 2010-07-06 9:13 AM
JohnP - 2010-07-05 8:16 PM How old is your Ford? Mine is early 2009 and the front doors were fitted with deadlocks as standard. Two presses of the central locking key required.
Only applies to UK sourced base vehicles, UK is the only country to fit deadlocks as standard.

Well, our LHD, FWD, 130PS Van is Transit based, was supplied in 2007 from a German dealer, and came with deadlocks as standard.

Whether that is because Hobby ordered all their Transits with deadlocks, or whether all German market Transits have deadlocks, I couldn't say, but it is clearly not completely black-and-white as to who gets what.

Brian Kirby - 2010-07-06 11:13 AM
lennyhb - 2010-07-06 9:13 AM
JohnP - 2010-07-05 8:16 PM How old is your Ford? Mine is early 2009 and the front doors were fitted with deadlocks as standard. Two presses of the central locking key required.

Well, our LHD, FWD, 130PS Van is Transit based, was supplied in 2007 from a German dealer, and came with deadlocks as standard.

Whether that is because Hobby ordered all their Transits with deadlocks, or whether all German market Transits have deadlocks, I couldn't say, but it is clearly not completely black-and-white as to who gets what.

Looks a bit random Hymer's on Fords & Fiats don't have deadlocks.

Archived