Unwanted excess cable

bob b

I've been thinking. I have a rear view camera that I use when towing the motor bike trailer. It's not a fixed unit, I just clip it inside, to the curtain pelmet, when required.

I have metres of unwanted cable coiled up behing the dashboard, with a 'tail' hanging down to connect to. There is also metres of cable coiled up on the bed underneath the camera.

My query is that are there connectors readily available so that I can cut out the excess ? Where can I obtain the items ? Is it something I can do myself ?

Rear view cameras normally use phono plugs and sockets (also known as RCA connectors) for the video, don't buy the cheapest, get the best quality ones for use with video.

For the 12v power you can use DC power plugs & line sockets, or even use another phono plug & line socket make sure you use a female socket for the live feed.

You can do it yourself if you are confident at soldering, the fact that you have asked the question I think you would be better to get someone who is to do it for you.

Phono Plugs & sockets:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=phono&page=1

DC Power sockets:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=dc+connectors

You could cut one end off the cable at about 6 inches from the plug/socket. Then cut off the surplus cable and resolder the cores together, insulate each core with heat shrink tube and finally bind the whole job with insulation tape. Remember to stagger cut the cores so the joints don't all end up together.

D.

Cheers Dave. I've got the ideal soldering iron and have the suitable heat shrink tube. I do get some monitor interference on occasion and I think it might be the coils of cable behind the dash causing it. Getting rid of the excess may cure that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
That worked out well Dave. I removed just over 14 metres of excess cable and the camera still works !  I'm off to Exmoor in the motorhome for a week, so hopefully the minor interference may have disappeared as well.

Thanks for the tip Ian. The picture is as clear as a bell now. I had the excess 14 metres coiled up and secured with a band & just laid it on the bed while travelling. It was obviously picking up some unwanted signal and the coils just increased the interference. I can't believe that I put up with it for so long.  

Archived