Hymer battery life

Henods

We have just bought a Hymer Tclass c672cl on 09 plate. We are delighted with it so far. However, on visiting the 'van today in the secure compound I found the leisure battery was totally flat with a reading of zero on the control panel. I'd turned the 12v off at the control over the door so there shouldn't have been any drain. I ran the engine for about 45mins and checked the reading again and it was showing 12.75volts. It has been just over a month since we last used the 'van and I wondered if this was normal. Any advice welcomed!

It will depend on what is connected to the leisure battery that is not controlled via that switch.  Fridge and step circuitry, the Truma dump valve (if fitted) and any alarm or possibly tracking device etc.  Only small loads, but continuous and, over a month, possibly sufficient, depending on the state, and size, of the battery.  You really need to settle down with the handbook, and the wiring diagrams, and work out what is feeding which, under what conditions.  You may need an ammeter, or multi-meter, to examine which circuits carry current when you think everything is off.

One thing I would say, is you should get that battery fully charged a.s.a.p. because all you will have done is lifted it marginally from flat and by now, unless you have eliminated the load that flattened it, it will be back flat again.  It would need somewhere around 4-5 hours of driving to charge from flat, so it really needs to go on a mains charge for at least 24 hours p.d.q.  To get a fair idea of how well charged the battery is, it needs to stand for about 4 hours after being charged, with nothing connected.

My 05 Hymer 544 drains 0.4amps a day. This is for numerous things and as I use the van regularly, it's not a worry. Also, I have two batteries and can park the van at home on trickle charge.

In your manual, you will find guidance on how to turn off the Electrobok which I think stops all the battery drain. However, it means your display may have to be reset because that can also disappears. Some bits reset in time if left alone, others like the time and date do not.

Brian's advice is sound as you've realised. Make sure you do turn off the power at your display. Once my son left a tap slightly open so the pump was always on. Lights are also easy to leave on.

My Hymer likewise shows it draws about 0.4A but that is on the panel with everything turned off, with the panel turned off the drain is probably about 100ma over a month that would be 72 amp hours enough to flatten a 80AH (Hymer standard fit) leisure battery.

Hymer wire the Radio unit to the Leisure battery also if you have a satellite receiver that is on permanent standby (has to be so that the dish goes down when you turn the ignition on), the Truma dump valve draws about 35ma.

Hymer recommend hooking up to the mains if the vehicle is not going to be used for more than a couple of days, not helpful if it is in storage.

I wouldn't recommend turning off the Electoblock as they can be a pain to get the control panel to sync up with the unit, often involves completely discharging the leisure battery.

We have 2 leisure batteries & leaving it a couple of weeks is OK.

I would suggest punting an isolator switch in the radio feed (you will loose pre programmed channels), unplug the dump valve and if want to keep water in the heater tank you can hold the valve up with a cloths peg and if you have satellite receiver unplug or switch off. Also make sure the fridge control switch is turned off.

Archived