Which type of BBQ do you take with you?

kevandali

Hi all. We are using a gas BBQ that connects to the van, one of those cheap rectangular ones with a removable lid and lava rock over the gas jets. Ok it is convenient to use and cooks alright, but is a bit boring, plus I do enjoy the taste of food cooked over charcole, not burnt though. In the evening it is very pleasant to sit around a nice hot glowing charcole BBQ enjoying a drink and a chat. So what I am looking for, is a small BBQ about 20cm x 30cm, that can be used with gas or charcole, anyone know of such an animal. Thank you.

Brian B.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget everythins I wrote earlier about 'hubby' being happy with the little aerosol cannister type gas stove and grill top thing ... he's been tempted by BBQ's whilst at the ruddy Northern show! *-)

Now, we got as far as buying a gas BBQ point to be installed, anyway, this afternoon, we had one last walk round the show and spotted some stalls hidden away in the corner that we hadn't seen so had a shuftie ....

At one of the stalls we found a variation on the aerosol cannister type gas stove. Instead of the standard 'ring' instead it has 2 parallel burners, removable grill top, removable inner drip tray, removable lower tray (all make it easy to clean), and a pan stand so it can still be used as a stove too, it's a bit longer than the stove and also comes with 4 squewers ... I assume to pin your prey down whilst it's cooking! :D It's made by Marksman and is called a 3 in 1 portable camping grill, the cannisters were £4 for a pack of 4 so cheap and last up to 2 and a half hours (assuming you're not trying to cremate something quickly!).

Sooooooo ... as there's no way we were going to be able to get down to Dave Newell to get the gas BBQ point installed before going on holiday in August, we thought we'd give this a try instead as it pretty much looks like it meets our needs (the chap who sold us the BBQ point refunded us thankfully and we can get it from him by mail order if we need it in the future).

This is the BBQ:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Camping-Stove-Grill-carry/dp/B003UA6AX8

1059870074_Marksmangrill.jpg.778bef00c8452dfc2f7c9064d9d91743.jpg

LordThornber - 2010-07-09 3:56 PM
nowtelse2do - 2010-07-08 10:40 PM
Ris - 2010-07-08 2:05 PM Just be aware, but some parts of France prohibit the use of charcoal BBQ's due to the risk of fire.

Is there any site's that prohibit BBQ's, please tell me.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes there are, admittedly we've only come across this on 2 sites in 10 years of visits. Neither site allowed charcoal but gas was ok. Martyn

But many more sites will restrict barbecues to gas, or completely ban them, during abnormally dry weather, for obvious reasons.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2010-07-18 7:07 PM
LordThornber - 2010-07-09 3:56 PM
nowtelse2do - 2010-07-08 10:40 PM
Ris - 2010-07-08 2:05 PM Just be aware, but some parts of France prohibit the use of charcoal BBQ's due to the risk of fire.

Is there any site's that prohibit BBQ's, please tell me.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes there are, admittedly we've only come across this on 2 sites in 10 years of visits. Neither site allowed charcoal but gas was ok. Martyn

But many more sites will restrict barbecues to gas, or completely ban them, during abnormally dry weather, for obvious reasons.

Sorry Brian to disagree, but why should a well managed charcoal bbq be any more dangerous than a gas cooker, and to think long term charcoal is a cheap renewable fuel compared to gas B-)

Sorry Dave, but I'm with Brian on this one, the problem with a charcoal BBQ is that it keeps going after you've finished cooking and people put them 'out of harms way' and forget, leaving them unattended (not that you would of course!), hence the greater fire risk, and the coals can keep going for a long time. With a gas BBQ you can turn it off as soon as you've finished with it. :-S

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2010-07-18 8:07 PM

Sorry Dave, but I'm with Brian on this one, the problem with a charcoal BBQ is that it keeps going after you've finished cooking and people put them 'out of harms way' and forget, leaving them unattended (not that you would of course!), hence the greater fire risk, and the coals can keep going for a long time. With a gas BBQ you can turn it off as soon as you've finished with it. :-S

Thats my problem Mel, its the same with gun & knife crime so ban the tools because of the nutters, how long before cars are banned as they kill people (?)

there was an article recently in our local rag, a young bloke was at a classic bike meet,had a charcoal bbq, cooked his food etc, then left it to go out, he then put it inside his van and went to bed.. tragically he never woke up.. the bbq was not out properly and he died of carbon monoxide posioning...a lesson to us all i think

jonathan

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2010-07-18 8:58 PM

Ah, but the difference is that an unattended charcoal BBQ can destroy thousands of acres of woodland, property, etc from just one little spark. :-S

Thats my point Mel, ban the bbq because of the nutters is no reason to stop the responsible (?) If you ban stuff because of the nutters where do you stop (?)

Hi all, I do not know about banning charcole BBQ's on normal sites, but the French cycling event ( Semaine Federal ), that we are off to at the end of the month, does ban them on their temporary sites. They think with that with so many units so close together it is to risky. Hey you lot how about an answer to my previous question on BBQ's. (lol)

Brian B.

Archived