using a laptop on 12v battery

anee

If you have not yet bought a12v converter consider the following site

http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/laptop-notebook-car-cord/car-tip-packs.htm

This page will allow you to choose the right converter and tip from a list of made for big name computer brands. Alternatively if you have a non-specified own brand computer there is a calculator which by using the required voltage and amperage combination will tell you which converter and tip/s you need.

I have a one of these excellent high quality converters for my Medion(Aldi) netbook

Pity 'anee' never told us precisely what make/model of laptop she wants to run off a 12v battery.

There has been mention on here of using a simple 12v in-car charger to connect up as though anything will do the job. But that's not always the case.....

I have a Dell Latitude laptop and one of the first things I noticed was the size of the plug which is not a common size. Also, though you can use an unbranded in-car charger (IF you manage to find one with the correct size plug), it will power up but it will not charge it. In order to get one to run the laptop AND charge it you have to purchase a Dell kit which includes the correct charger.

Dell have fitted some crafty electronics which enable the computer to 'recognise' if the Dell charger is connected. I suppose it's one way of hanging on to your customers!

camperadi - 2010-07-10 6:41 PM

Totally agree with tracker. My laptop is 20 volts and I use an adapter bought from ebay. If you not certain and you have a Maplins locally take it there. I am sure they will advise you and be able to provide the correct power unit for the job.

Unfortunalely some laptops have non standard plus with more than two terminals making the use of non proprietary power sources impossible.

Archived