Oyster Satellite Update

lennyhb

Hi Ken,

You need to download the firmware update then unpack it & upload it to the Oyster box via the serial RS232 port, you can use Hyper Terminal but if you are unfamiliar with using it is much easier to use TV Box which you can download from the Oyster site. There is also a pdf with full instructions on how to do the update.

Most modern PC's & Laptops do not have serial ports so you will probably need to get a USB to Serial adaptor they only cost a couple of quid. Serial adaptors are a bit of a black art & don't all work with all devices I had to buy 2 first one wouldn't talk to the box.

Any problems send me a PM.

lennyhb - 2010-07-12 11:09 PM Hi Ken, You need to download the firmware update then unpack it & upload it to the Oyster box via the serial RS232 port, you can use Hyper Terminal but if you are unfamiliar with using it is much easier to use TV Box which you can download from the Oyster site. There is also a pdf with full instructions on how to do the update. Most modern PC's & Laptops do not have serial ports so you will probably need to get a USB to Serial adaptor they only cost a couple of quid. Serial adaptors are a bit of a black art & don't all work with all devices I had to buy 2 first one wouldn't talk to the box. Any problems send me a PM.

hi lenny

sorry to say but all the above is gobbly gook to me the oyster i have was instaled in 2008 will it still need updateing

ken

If you have Channel 4, More 4 & Film 4 probably not worth bothering .

Our van is June 2008 was built in May came with the Oyster I updated it last year it gave me the above channels plus another 1000 rubbish ones.

I haven't done the latest update yet but I still don't think Channel 5 was included but I only scanned the list quickly. I might do it tonight.

It is far easier than it sounds and only take a couple of minutes if you use TV Box.

Just updated my box, there are 3 firmware updates plus the channel list.

Channels added that may be of interest:

Channel Five

ITV3

ITV4

And to annoy 'er indoors ITVI Quad - gives a split screen showing 4 channels (lol) (lol) (lol)

Note:

Update wipes any saved channel lists you may have.

More update info:

Receivers manufactured after January 2007 can be updated to enable them to receive updates via satellite.

Receivers manufactured after September 2008 are already able to receive satellite updates.

See:-

http://www.ten-haaft.com/downloads/pdf/GB/doku/software_update_via_satellite_08-2009.pdf

This is much easier than having to upload files via the serial port.

I have just checked my receiver (it falls in the first category) and it can receive the satellite updates, checked it and it works. I assume the firmware upgrade to allow this came in June 2010 updates that I recently uploaded.

I was experiencing problems with locking on to satelites and when I did, I did not get all the channels. My system was installed in 2006. Through this forum I was directed to Oyster and for those who do not feel competant to upgrade the system themselves then Oyster will do it for you at a cost of £45. You can either send the Oyster box to them or take motorhome to them. Their telephone number is 01858575928 address Unit 5 Hemploe Business Park, Hemploe Road, Welford, Northants. NN6 6HF.

if you intend visiting then ask for directions as it is not a Business Park as one would imagine rather converted farm buildings at end of farm track.

Local agents can do the upgrade such as Solar Solutions in Dorset so ask Oyster if there is a local agent you can visit.

Hope this helps.

Ris - 2010-07-21 3:25 PM

I was experiencing problems with locking on to satelites and when I did, I did not get all the channels. My system was installed in 2006.

Often find it has problem locking on to Astra 2 the trick I found was to select a Hotbird channel appears to lock onto Hotbird a lot easier once locked on then select an Astra 2 channel this works most times. If not, in the menu go to "find by location" and select the country you are in.

If either or a combination of the above doesn't work get out a DVD.

Depending where you are you will not get all the channels there maybe about 10 BBC 1 channels showing in the list but you will probably only get 1 or 2 of them if you are towards the edge of the satellite footprint as not all channels are broadcast at the same strength.

Also when the dish is locked on to Astra 2, it is not that simple as Astra 2 is a group of 4 satellites, the UK channels are broadcast on Astra 2D which is the narrow beam so although you are locked on to Astra 2 you may not be receiving Astra 2D so you won't get the UK channels.

Just back from a week at Peterborough, Ferry Meadows, system worked superbly. Found satelite quickly whereas previously seemed to take ages. Prior to system update had difficulty outside of house. Will be off to Germany end of August so that will be a test.

lennyhb - 2010-07-21 4:48 PM the UK channels are broadcast on Astra 2D which is the narrow beam....

Not forgetting there are various versions of ITV1, C4, More4, E4, Five, Five US, and Fiver available on the wider beams with a Sky box and viewing card.

Ris - 2010-07-21 3:25 PM

I was experiencing problems with locking on to satelites and when I did, I did not get all the channels. My system was installed in 2006. Through this forum I was directed to Oyster and for those who do not feel competant to upgrade the system themselves then Oyster will do it for you at a cost of £45. You can either send the Oyster box to them or take motorhome to them. Their telephone number is 01858575928 address Unit 5 Hemploe Business Park, Hemploe Road, Welford, Northants. NN6 6HF.

if you intend visiting then ask for directions as it is not a Business Park as one would imagine rather converted farm buildings at end of farm track.

Local agents can do the upgrade such as Solar Solutions in Dorset so ask Oyster if there is a local agent you can visit.

Hope this helps.

I can thoroughly recommend Robert Jackson for these updates. Twice, over the years, he has carried them out for me and, whilst at the Lincoln show, a few years back, did it for free, although he hadn't installed our Oyster sytem. When another was required, I was able to post the control box to him. Again it worked perfectly.

As regards carrying out upgrades yourself, I haven't been able to obtain the necessary info. Originally, it was available for download from the Oyster website, but hasn't been made available for a long time now.

Freewheeler - 2010-07-22 7:28 PM

As regards carrying out upgrades yourself, I haven't been able to obtain the necessary info. Originally, it was available for download from the Oyster website, but hasn't been made available for a long time now.

All the info is in the link I posted earlier in the thread, there is a pdf download with very clear easy to follow instructions in English.

lennyhb - 2010-07-22 7:50 PM

All the info is in the link I posted earlier in the thread, there is a pdf download with very clear easy to follow instructions in English.

I had read your very useful link, but unfortunately, it only appears to cover Oyster models since 2008.

Updates are there for the following models and if you use TV Box I believe the process is the same for all models.

Oyster Digital CI

- Oyster Digital CI+DVB-T

- Oyster Digital HDCI+DVB-T

- CARO Digital CI

- CARO Digital CI+DVB-T

- CARO Digital HDCI+DVB-T

- CARO Digital MA CI

- Cosmo Digital CI

- Cosmo Digital CI+DVB-T

- Cosmo Digital HDCI+DVB-T

- D-5000 Digital

- D-5000 Digital CI

- D-5000 Digital+DVB-T

- D-5000 Digital CI+DVB-T

- D-5000 Digital HDCI

- D-5000 Digital HDCI+DVB-T

Oyster Digital FTA

- Receiver D-900

Oyster Digital CI

- Receiver D-1000CI

- CARO Digital FTA

- Oyster Digital FTA

- CARO Digital CI

- Oyster Digital CI

- Receiver D-900

- Receiver D-1000CI

If you have any problems email them they usually respond within a couple of hours & will email you the relevant info.

Well I've emailed them a couple of times in the last 4 weeks and had zero response.

My issue is that I have successfully used the download to update the firmware in my circa 2006 Oyster Digital CI but no matter what I try I can't get the channel list to update. Is there some sort of lock setting in the Oyster receiver that I have to clear to allow the channels to be updated?

Not had any problems myself my box is a 2008 CI & every time I have emailed Ten Hafft they have responded within about 2 hours.

How are you doing the upload to the receiver are you using Hyper Terminal or using a program such as TV Box?

I use TV box if using it you need to follow the instructions to open the channel list then close the program and reopen it & ensure the correct list appears in the window before carrying out the update. If you don't do it correctly you will still see the old channel list & it won't update I've been caught out by it a couple of times.

I'm using TV Box and yes I do follow their instructions. The new list is displayed in TV Box, the upload starts but then fails with a message something like "failed to update the transponder list". I have successfully downloaded the currently installed 'old' channel list to the laptop using TV Box, but I can't upload their supplied new list?

I've tried with both a USB/Serial lead on a Vista Laptop and just the serial lead on an XP Laptop. Identical failures in both cases.

As I said earlier I've uploaded the firmware upgrade successfully. It's just the channel list that won't upload.

I've also successfully tested the emulated remote control in TV Box - just as further proof that the laptop to CI box connection is working.

Still no email response frorm either Ten Hafft Germany or Ten Hafft UK :-( I'm using the email addresses from their own website - julian@oystersat-tech.co.uk I've also tried Info@oystersat-Tech.co.uk

In TV Box under the 'Serial ' menu there is 'Send Settings to Box' & 'Box Software Update', I've always used the 'Box Software Update' to upload the channel list, it always fails 1st time in XP but they tell you that in the instructions.

The first USB/Serial converter I used would talk to the box but would not upload the channel list so it could be your converter lead I did mention they can be a bit iffy don't always work with all the protocols.

Have you tried doing it via Hyper Terminal ?

Don't understand why they are not responding to emails, 1st time I tried to contact them I found their 'contact us' form wasn't working on the website I emailed them (I think it was the info address) they replied & sorted the 'contact us' bug, emailed them a couple more time always replied in 1- 2 hours, try ringing them.

Archived