anyone done jersey in a MH

duetto owner

Hi David

I haven't been in a Motorhome.

Have a look at this for Driving regs.

http://www.jersey.com/english/transport/withinjersey/driving/pages/default.aspx

40mph max, not a problem as plenty of time to view the scenery, but roads are narrow & I would not want to take a large Motorhome there. (Think of the narrow lanes in Cornwall for a comparison)

Same website as some Camping info.

Hi David

I knew there were some restrictions that apply, but could not remember.

So have a look here (extract from Jersey CAB website) :-

7 Camp sites:

Beuvelande Camp Site

Rose Farm Camp Site

Rozel Camping Park

Blue Soleil Camping (open all year)

Imoportant: Jersey campsites are generally open during the main holiday season - mid May through to September. Due to limited site space it is always advisable to pre-book before you travel. NB: Blue Soleil is open all year.

It is illegal to camp anywhere other than a recognised and approved campsite.

Most dogs will be accepted by prior arrangement, please contact the relevant campsite.

Visitors

9 Visiting caravans and motor homes.

Visiting caravans and motorhomes can be driven on the roads subject to a permit and are restricted to one journey to, and one journey from, the campsite and the port. Caravans must remain on the designated site for the period of the permit.

Special dispensation has been given allowing motorhomes to circulate on the Island on a daily basis but MUST return to the designated campsite each night. (Drivers should be aware that many of Jersey's roads are narrow and may have limited access).

Type of unit/size - width

Towed caravan including the towing vehicle or motorhome 2.3m (this includes any fitting on or attached to the vehicle but excludes mirrors and indicators.

Length

Caravan 6.7m (excluding the means of attachment to the towing vehicle). Motorhome 9.3m.

Length of combination

Caravan and towing vehicle 16.5m (to include any projection at the front or rear of the vehicle).

Display of pemit

The permit must be displayed in the window of the unit clearly showing the dates for which the permit is valid.

It appears that you must pre-book a Campsite to obtain the "Permit"

sewage

Jersey campsites do not currently have 'drive over' drains for blackwater sewage.

Hi David

As I said, I haven't taken a Motorhome & the Jersey Tourist Board site does not return any results.

Extract from http://www.condorferries.co.uk/Trip/

Taking your Caravan

It should be noted that on fast ferries, the carriage of towed caravans is restricted to three.

When booking please have the exact dimensions of your vehicle (including the towbar) ready before you make your booking as we need to know the exact dimensions (length/height) of your vehicle - rates are calculated according to size.

Taking your caravan to Jersey

We cannot book your caravan travel directly to Jersey as an entry permit is required. Please make your reservations through the campsite and they will supply you with an entry permit.

Taking your caravan to Guernsey

At present, caravans travelling from the UK or Europe are not allowed in Guernsey.

Hope this helps

If I remember rightly, I think the Camping and Caravanning Club have Jersey trips in their brochure.

Also, be aware that there is no longer any reciprocal arrangement regarding healthcare - and the EHIC doesn't apply either. You will need to have healthcare travel insurance.

A chap I know spent some time researching this a couple of years ago and decided against it as the roads seemed tortuous, the logistics difficult to book, and a general air of motorhomes not being terribly welcome. He went to Ireland instead.

Given their infrastructure, I can kind of see it from their perspective. The extra tourist income is probably not worth the hassle. Far more lucrative for them to have tourists dependent on bricks and mortar accommodation.

Good luck if you persist though.

Hi this is my first contribution to the forum, although I've viewed for a long time.

Been to Jersey about 5 years ago in a bessacarr E415. Although the roads are narrow most are OK. Drivers were very curteous towards us. Common sense dictates which are OK to use. Parking was mostly OK. St Helier was difficult. Best using public transport.

We booked via carefree (camping and caravanning club), as said previously you need a permit. Motorhomes are allowed to use the roads , but must go back to campsite at night. Caravans are only allowed from the port to campsite and back to port. We travelled with condor fast ferries from Poole, took about 4 hours. They have a restriction of 6.5m in length and 3.1m in height. There is a width restriction as well I think it is 2.3m but you will have to check.

If you are going to book yourself you will need to book the campsite first. they can probably get best deal on ferry as well.

Would we go back, the answer is yes and we would book via carefree again ,they were superb.

Hi

A bit late I know, but being a resident on Jersey I can confirm that in order to camp in Jersey you need a permit, these are arranged by the campsite when you make your reservation.

There are currently only three campsites in the Island which are Beauvelande, Rozel (which are in the East of the Island) and Bleu Soleil (West)as Rose Farm had it's licence revoked this year. Of the three only Bleu Soleil is open all year, we use it and the owners David and Lesley are a lovely couple you can view the web site on www.bleusoleilcamping.com it is quite a small site and not at all like the CC sites with pitches being much smaller, best time to visit it is off season when it is quieter. Yes the Island roads are quite narrow but along the same lines as Cornwall, there are a lot of places on the West coast where you can take your van out for the day and take in the scenery but you will have to return to the campsite each evening.

Just a note if you do come over the scenery is fantastic, people friendly and good pub meals. Food however is expensive compared to the UK so stock up well!

If you do come you are more than welcome to message me for any information. We are away until mid September.

Cheers for now :-D

Archived