VW camper power steering?diesel Power

hotrod 49

Yes I am looking into buying a VW camper bay or early 60 mod,would be nice.

What to look for even though I have owned a Beetle and had it to bits back in the start of the seventies.At 61 retiered my hands are on the way out slowly. so power steering woud help. and the diesel engine will give the miles per gallon .

So come forth you camper owners and give me some advice PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading

Rod

Hi, In my opinion power steering is a must.

I am nearer to 70 than 60 and I am desperately trying to convert my Auto Sleeper Ford to power steering, not too bad on the open road but at low speeds it's hard work. Take my word for it , it makes me sweat.

If your only option turns out to be with a manual box investigate the cost of conversion before you part with your cash.

I can honestly say that it is only the lack of power steering that I dislike about my Auto Sleeper but I am slowly collecting the parts I require to do the conversion

Hi Rod

Any 60's VW will not be cheap for any in reasonable condition.

Especially Bay's.

Have a look on e-bay where there are usually a few examples, but many will have led a hard live with late teens surfers

So depending on your budget any Camper from this era, could require a lot of restoration & maintenance.

From memory (so I could be wrong) They did not produce a diesel engine for these. Nor was Power Steering available.

Engine was a Petrol Flat 4 Air Cooled 1200cc (on the early one's) 1600cc (on the later one's)

Take a look at the Danbury website for the current retro model.

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/stock-vehicles/

Most of the older VWs are going to be expensive and troublesome. I've owned 4 over the years. Great vans but, now that I'm well over 50, I prefer less hassle.

My son bought a t4 camper a month ago. It's a 1.9 diesel, elevating roof, Riemo Miami.

It's a great van. It has power steering and the conversion is the best and most versatile I've ever seen.

I'm thinking very seriously about going back to a VW camper. (Current van is an Auto-sleeper Symbol) If I do, it'll be a t4 or a t5.

As much as I love the old VWs, and I've owned quite a few, I can't be bothered with the maintenance and constant attention they need.

My advice? It'll be cheaper and better all round to buy a t4 or t5. Plus, the t4 and t5 actually have more space inside. I didn't realise this when I owned a t25 (t3).

The latest VW vans are really superb to drive too.

Hope this helps.

Archived