manifold leak

terrywilliams

Guest Tracker

Suspect blown gasket and/or leaky manifold to exhaust joint first and porous or cracked manifold second.

Gaskets are cheap enough and fitting them is a bit tedious as access is difficult but as the manifold will have to come off that will be as good a time as any to check it properly.

Needless to say clean and undistorted jointing surfaces are a must for any joint to seal properly.

Try blocking the tail pipe to increase back pressure which might help identify the leak?

If you've not got a gas leak spray can, mix some soapy water in a garden spray vessel and spray your manifold when your cold engine starts up, (for obvious reasons).

If you've got a blow you will see bubbles.

But beware that oxygen/air getting into your exhaust system can cause running problems. Thats if you've an oxygen senson that is. Code numbers here again. Aaaahh.

Petrol engine in a 2000 ?? Motorhome, thats a new one.

Seal it, yes, ASAP.

Gordy.

gordonaldson - 2010-07-17 9:48 PM

Gordy.

Gordon,

Slightly O/T but my sister also has an Autosleeper with a petrol engine. Although this time it's a 2001 on a Talbot chassis. I'm not quite sure what engine it is or what else it was fitted to.

Keith.

Keithl - 2010-07-17 11:33 PM

gordonaldson - 2010-07-17 9:48 PM

Gordy.

Gordon,

Slightly O/T but my sister also has an Autosleeper with a petrol engine. Although this time it's a 2001 on a Talbot chassis. I'm not quite sure what engine it is or what else it was fitted to.

Keith.

Hi Keith, I doubt very much if your sister has a 2001 registered Talbot with a petrol engine as the Talbot brand was dropped in 1994. It might be a Peugeot with a petrol engine though.

D.

Follow the advice to pinpoint the leak.

If it is a manifold problem, then it is not a cheap problem.

There is always the possibility that the exhaust pipe close to the engine has a split, or the pipe connection to the manifold has developed a leak. These faults are more easily (and cheaply) fixed. The extreme low temperatures of last winter have caused havoc with exhausts.

Archived