Garmin Nuvi 1340

Don Madge

Does anybody have the Garmin Nuvi 1340? I am thinking about getting one. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a Nuvi 350 which I recently updated with the 2011 City Navigator Europe NT. Being that my GPS skills are very poor I loaded the maps for Central and Eastern Europe which covers all of Eastern Europe and Turkey. As we spend a lot of time in that part of the world I decided that I would leave the maps on and get another Garmin.

There's a Nuvi 1340 on Amazon for £108.99

Regards

Don

Don, if your Nuvi 350 will take an SD card, you can download the maps to that, and the Nuvi should use them OK.  Ours is a 760, and that is what I have done.  This gets the whole of City Navigator 2011 NT onto an 8GB SD card, with loads of space left for your POIs etc as well.  The 760 uses the maps seamlessly, irrespective of whether they are on the Nuvi memory, or the SD card.  It is a long slow process doing the download, and you have to get MapInstall as well.  If you use MapSource on your computer, you will have updated the mapping for that to 2011 NT, and it is that version you install to the SD card via MapInstall.  It may be worth having a punt around the Garmin support website to see what the 350 will accommodate.

Hello Don,

I bought a Nuvi 1340T shortly after it's launch, to replace my Garmn C33 which had done us proud. At first it was very tempremental stopping working as we drove along. Not very helpful. The massive software updates have sorted this problem and I would recommend it now. £109 is a much better price than we paid.

Like most Sat Navs if you tell then to to take you across France without paying tolls it will take you down every farm track in a straight line across the country. The sensible use of via points is the answer in France as it is everywhere else.

Regards,

Hi Don

I purchased the 1340 last year , its OK , as with any SatNav.

Screen size is good , instructions clear and map refresh good , I also like the Lane Change instructions as these give you plenty of warning , especially on a motorway , of what lane you need to move into. Depending on your zoom level you can clearly see what is coming up on the road ahead so in conjunction with your vision ahead and the SatNav you have a more informed picture of where you are going.

What I dont like is that when using it on 12v power and I turn the engine of it reverts to battery mode and for some reason stops the navigation , you then have to restart the navigation on commencement of the journey , although it doesn't loose the route is just stops giving instructions. Annoying when you hadn't realised and the wife is asleep and there's no where to pull over and sort it out!!

I also dont like that you can only choose between Car and Pedestrian mode , my previous Garmin Mobile smart phone software allowed you to select different travel modes like HGV and Caravan which was very useful.

I've found battery life to be about 1 1/2 - 2 hours which in my mind is poor but this maybe down to me and not charging it properly via my laptop usb port.

On the whole for how much it was its alright and serves my needs OK and I got it with full European maps pre installed which was cheaper than buying later.

Guest JudgeMental

"What I dont like is that when using it on 12v power and I turn the engine of it reverts to battery mode and for some reason stops the navigation"

not really the units fault, but the way your vehicle 12v socket is wired.....my Ford based campers are permanently live.

Thinking of upgrading my 770 but really want something witha better battery life not worse.... be nice to use on our bikes

RogP - 2010-07-21 11:56 AM .......... What I dont like is that when using it on 12v power and I turn the engine of it reverts to battery mode and for some reason stops the navigation , you then have to restart the navigation on commencement of the journey , although it doesn't loose the route is just stops giving instructions. Annoying when you hadn't realised and the wife is asleep and there's no where to pull over and sort it out!! ...............

But how do you manage to need navigational instructions with your wife asleep and your engine off?  When our engine is off and/or wife asleep, the van is parked, and we are no longer navigating/travelling.  What are you doing?  :-D

JudgeMental - true about the 12 remaining live , and righlty thats not the units fault as such, but equally it could be seen as a functionality issue as not all vehicles have live feeds and as I use a Satnav in several vehicles its a shortfall in some ways for me.

What happens if the power to the Satnav fails mid route - I've had in the past 12v power leads fail for phones and satnavs , may be not common but does happen. I've also had the 12v power socket in my wifes Ford Focus fail which whilst that didn't affect the rest of the car it did need a new socket.

Should the ability to revert seemlessly to battery power , or vice versa , not be a given?

Brian -

I'd restarted my journey , my wife always falls asleep no soon as we get going , and by the time I realised the problem with the navigation , I had "no where to pull over to sort it out" , because I was then back on the motorway and I wont just pull on to the hard shoulder for something as trivial as sorting out my sat nav , like some people do.

Luckily I knew which junction I was coming off at (having before starting my journey made sure I had a reasonable idea where I was going) so left it till then to resolve.

Sorry if my comments were not that detailed I was merely making a general observation to highlight a 'feature' of my satnav and didn't think that my whole time line experience of that issue was needed.

Sorry , I'll do better next time.

Archived