Portable Induction Hobs

tonyishuk

Check exactly WHAT you are buying, some hobs advertised as induction are actually halogen hobs.

We have a halogen hob and it says induction on the box (Chinese translation I think!), however, I realised and as it was only £10 (new & boxed) and I wanted a halogen one anyway, I was quite happy as I didn't want to change my existing pots and pans. It heats up really, really quickly and has adjustable power settings so I won't blow the site electrics if they have low wattage power sockets.

I assume you know about having to have the right type of saucepans to be able to use with induction hobs too???? :-S

hi bought a lidl induction hob for son and mates at uni, cooker broke, landlord wouldn,t replace,4 yoofs used it for 2mths,very fast heating, plastic construction, so light weight,it still works so must be robust, 2200w variable, you must use magnetic pans

Guest peter
Very good. Ours came with a big frying pan with lid that could cook anything you want. The pan is Ally' with stanless steel bottom. Cooker is very light and cost about £60 on the 'net.

Thanks for your replies.

We purchased a Steller Induction hob, (Could have got it cheaper on the Net, but I took the view that with a two year warrenty, I could go back and bang on the counter after 23 months, if there was problem.)

We had suitable pans, so that was not a problem.

The unit has two modes, Instant heat, and temprature contoled heat. I am going to put the ammeter on it to see what current it draws at the preset settings.

Full heat is 1600 watts ( 7 amps ?) with about four lower settings. Might be able to get away with a 4 amp supply on one of the lower settings.

Will report back on progress.

(Seems a lot safer than having the 1000 watt hot hob which holds its heat for ages, and still seems hot several hours after use !)

Rgds

Hi Tony, I too found the standard (solid) hotplates keep their heat for quite some time, but I think it does depend on the manufacturer as to how good they are and how quickly they cool down. A Rowenta solid hob took ages, our Russell Hobs one only takes about 30 mins max to cool down. The halogen one doesn't take long either, probably about 15-20 mins, depending on how long/high it has been.

We bought a Stellar portable unit about 2 years ago - we paid £40. We use it with enammelled Judge saucepans and casserole pots with lids, they are fairly inexpensive. The system is really quick and seems only to require minmal setting - brilliant!

We rarely use hook up - so we make the most of it when we do.

I seem to remember reporting on this before some while ago - perhaps a search will find other comments.

Fred

• 1 month later...
bigal55 - 2010-07-19 9:58 PM

hi bought a lidl induction hob for son and mates at uni, cooker broke, landlord wouldn,t replace,4 yoofs used it for 2mths,very fast heating, plastic construction, so light weight,it still works so must be robust, 2200w variable, you must use magnetic pans

if anybody is still thinking about an induction hob, lidl have them today, 25 squid

• 4 weeks later...

Just to report back !

We have used the hob for a while and on the continent with low amperage connections. The hob works a treat, although on the latter connections gas is quicker. We don't have Gaslow, so tend to conserve gas where we can.

Hob wakes up on medium heat, and switched down a notch before a load is applied.

A 6 amp connection will cater for electic heating, from the Truma, general back ground charging and the induction hob. One site needed a little juggling with wattage on a cold morning, but having tea in bed whilst the m/home warmed up worked well !

(House rule: first up for a pee, makes the tea. ( Can sometimes be a long wait on a cold morning ;-)

Rgds

Archived