Leather/leatherette seating

Pickle Pot

I've seen a couple of vans with leather style seating recently. I really liked it for its wipe-clean properties and it looked lovely, but I wondered how comfortable/sweaty it would be to sleep on, especially abroad. Does anyone have any experience of it?

I have experience of leather seating ( not in a van ) and in hot weather it is not comfortable to sit on if you are 'topless' - you tend to stick to the seatback.

It might be better for sleeping as you would have a sheet ( or something ) between you and the leather.

I personally would not like to have it in a van in a hot climate.

Guest JudgeMental
I would not like the idea of leather in the van...leather seats and a hot climate not a comfortable mix IMO

Our sears are part Leatherette it's a vinyl (I think) on a microfibre backing, the centre of the cab seats are cloth. The side of my thighs rest on the Leatherette get slightly sweaty thighs when wearing shorts on long journeys say 3- hours or more without stopping not a problem not like the old vinyl of the sixty's.

I'm hoping that topless bit isn't compulsory 8-) (lol)

I guess perhaps with a mattress topper on the bed and those strange beady things on the cab seats, I should be OK... and if those that do have them aren't reporting that they're glued stickily to their beds every morning, they can't be so bad ...?

Pickle Pot - 2010-07-18 9:22 AM

I've seen a couple of vans with leather style seating recently. I really liked it for its wipe-clean properties and it looked lovely, but I wondered how comfortable/sweaty it would be to sleep on, especially abroad. Does anyone have any experience of it?

Don't go there, easy clean it ain't, its just different. Most people, us included just covered it up to protect it and save work. Get a treated protected fabric.

Pickle Pot - 2010-07-18 9:22 AM I've seen a couple of vans with leather style seating recently. I really liked it for its wipe-clean properties and it looked lovely, but I wondered how comfortable/sweaty it would be to sleep on, especially abroad. Does anyone have any experience of it?

You need to find out what the fabric is.  It seems it is not real leather.  Modern synthetics can be very good, and are a far cry from the old PVC based sticky, sweaty, faux leather of yesteryear.  Some even breathe better than natural leather.  Find out what it is, then look up what the manufacturer claims for it, then just Google it and see if there are any comments, good or bad, on forums.  You should get some idea how users find it.

Archived