Batteries in parallel

meddyliol

I apologise if this has already been asked. I though that I was quite good at electrics having been in the electronics trade for over 40 years but am not sure exactly how to connect two batteries with similar Ah capacity, in parallel. The batteries have posts which the connectors fit over. The new battery would be easy to connect, simply connect to the new posts but how do I connect to the existing battery which already has connectors to it?

I hope this makes sense, it does to me.

Thanks

Brian B-)

You would normally connect the batteries + to + and - to -.  If the batteries are mounted side by side there should be no great need to fuse the interconnects, providing there is no conductive material in the vicinity of the cables, or that the cables are adequately protected against chafing.  It is marginally preferable in this case to connect the + feed to one battery and the - return to the other.  If the batteries are not co-located, both interconnects should be fused at both ends, and it will probably only be possible to connect the feed and return at one battery, which is fine.  Make sure the interconnects are of suitable cross section for load/distance.

Archived