Reverse polaritry truth or myth?

Vic

Knowing nothing about electricity, apart from how to switch stuff on and off, is reverse polarity a problem? Having returned from France yesterday after 3 and a half months I found that most of the 36 sites I visited were no problem. I did take the precaution of preparing an extra continental plug with the live/neutral wires reversed. Anyway, I did find on some sites where I had to use the standard plug, if the polarity was reversed, I'd try a different socket and hey presto all was OK. Is this just down to poor French wiring? With AC does it matter?

On a modern van no it does not matter unless you are the type who takes apart electrical gear without switching it off first. Not sure what poster means by pluging in a two pin plug the other way round, you cannot do this in France. Even lack of an earth is not much of a worry provided again your van and items you use in it are fairly up to date. I am sure some like to carry extra gear around for the sake of it.

Vic - 2010-07-18 10:36 PM

Is this just down to poor French wiring? With AC does it matter?

No its poor wiring on our part, The Europeans fuse both sides, we only fuse the live, I suppose to save money.

Olley

This does not cause a problem in operation, but as Rupert points out if you tried to dismantle some english equipment whilst still plugged in, it could do. Continental electrical equipment have on/off switches, that switch both live and neutral, therefore isolating the internal workings completely. Most english equipment only switches the live, which means that with reversed polarity, when switched off the internal circuits are live back to the switch. *-)

Brian B.

Living in France we have noted over the last few years that the French have tightened up on electrical wiring and safety.

In most campsites where the round international connector is in use one would expect there to be a diminishing number of problems as sites and their electricians get used to this and ensuring wiring is OK for their insurance.

Older French installations, as in our house were only fused on one side the live as any other practice would be dangerous. Also the standard 2 pin plus earth plug doesnt have a pin labelled live or neutral so although there is a convention it is not aways followed and even today I don't think tested for. Modern wiring with its circuit breakers trips out both wires under fault / overload on both sides of the channel.

Continental appliances are not different to UK ones -this is a myth. The cable / plug on the end is the only difference -see the appliance ratings plate they all say 220 / 240 v and have CE ratings. In reality most appliances on /off switch disconnect both the live and neutral.

To ensure safety use good undamaged appliances and leads that are checked regularly. Remember that in a mobile environment things may take more wear and tear. Ensure the mh's electrics are regularly checked.

Much is made of reverse polarity leads -which you cant buy on the continent / UK from main dealers- but more attention needs to be paid the lead connecting the MH to the supply. To often one sees tightly coiled drums of cable and fraying connectors.

Check this lead frequently for signs of damage -run you hand along the cable seeking to discover any weak spots or bulges even if the outer casing looks good. These can be indicative of problems with the inner conductors and lead to hot spots or short circuits.

olley - 2010-07-18 11:27 PM

No its poor wiring on our part, The Europeans fuse both sides, we only fuse the live, I suppose to save money.

Olley

Olley

Fusing both sides is potentially (no pun) dangerous. If the fuse in the neutral blows, the circuit can seem dead, but in fact it would still be live.

At one time in the UK the mains supply to domestic premises was fused in both the live and neutral sides, this practice was abandoned on safety grounds in (I think) about 1965-70.

Michael

This is about risks, not certainties, and about whether each individual understands the risks.

As Clive implies, the most basic line of defence is a working earth.  I would add, though, that this is probably even more valuable in the absence of an RCD, rather than only of value if you have one, as may have been interpreted.

Because motorhomes are driven around, their installations are subjected to vibrations that do not generally affect installations in buildings.  That can mean things shaking loose, and that might create fire, or electrocution, risks.  Most of that risk will be eliminated by a good earth.

Site installations are of varying age and quality, and mainland Europe is large.  It is impossible to generalise about what one may plug into, and therefore unwise to make sweeping statements about how "safe" this or that may be.  Each installation will have its risks and, again, these will be minimised if at least the earth is tested.

Installations on vans will also vary.  They will vary due to the standards adopted by the builder, and by what was accepted practise at the time the van was built.  More importantly, they may also vary due to DIY changes (possibly not apparent) made by previous owners.  So again, it is very unwise to make sweeping generalisations about what is "safe".  Some vans may be so, others less so, and not all will recently have been tested.

Appliances?  Safe, probably, if new and properly looked after, not necessarily so if old and poorly cared for.

So, you have risks.  Those who understand wiring standards, RCDs, ELCBs, miniature circuit breakers, double pole switching, and the difference between Amps, Volts and Watts, will be able to assess for themselves what degree of risk a particular installation presents, and whether they wish to accept it.  Those who understand little to none of these things, are probably best advised, for peace of mind, to test for the presence of an earth, and to check that the polarity is correct, before concluding that the site installation, in combination with the mysteries of their own van's installation, present no more than the normal, very low level, of risk. 

The check takes but a few seconds, and rectifying reversed polarity, if detected, just a few more.  But hey, we are all adults, so if you prefer to spice your stays with a little unknown risk, that's fine by me.  It is, after all, a very low risk most of the time, providing everything is in good order.  Were it otherwise, we should doubtless continually read and hear reports of fires and electrocutions on foreign campsites.  Besides, most of us have the basic naus to identify a dodgy installation on sight, and will approach it with caution!

olley - 2010-07-18 11:27 PM

Olley

Not true they only fuse the live BUT they use double Pole switches, UK fuse boxes only switch the Live. UK 13 Amp sockets most only switch the live there are 3 or 4 manufactures that make double pole switched sockets Contactum, MEM Delta, Volex from memory.

Providing your van has an RCD and your sockets are either double pole switched or unswitched reverse polarity is not a problem.

Archived