How big a discount on a new van?

Pickle Pot

When I bought my last car, I used Drive the Deal website to get a nice low quote to make the local dealers work for my business, but there's no real equivalent for motorhomes (as far as I know).

I've seen a motorhome I really like with a screen price of 40k (all but a fiver), this particular make and variety don't appear very often and I can't see another new one in the country to compare spec/price. I know there's only really me can decide what it's worth to me, but how do people on here go about coaxing a deal out of a dealer and what would you expect to pay?

Guest Tracker

The rules of supply and demand apply.

If there are plenty you can play one against t'other for the best deal - if there is only one and you want it all you can do is haggle hard and hope.

All the while the dealer is saying no to your offers and you are saying no to his there should be common ground to meet in the middle somewhere and getsures like speaking to the dealer letting him know that you have your credit card in your hand and if he will offer you the right deal you will say yes on the spot and give a deposit often tends to focus their minds!

Just be sure it is what you want and make sure that you have seen, inspected, DRIVEN, and sorted out any extras you want 'thrown in' with it before you part with your cash - cos you won't get owt more once you have agreed and paid!

Remember also that if it turns out to have problems you'll have to go back to that dealer to get them fixed because, 1) your contract, and so all your Sale of Goods Act rights, is with him and him alone, and 2) despite what the warranty may say, it is unlikely any other dealer will be prepared to lay a finger on it. 

If the dealer is a 200 mile round trip from where you live, and the van proves problematic, that could remove some of your smile!  :-)

Remember also that, depending on the size of the dealership, driving too hard a bargain when buying may influence the dealer's attitude to you if you subsequently need his help or support.  I'm not saying by any means pay the ticket price, but there is an element of "what goes round comes round", so if you skin him on the sale, he may exploit an opportunity to get his own back later!  That is a judgement only you can make, based on the type and size of the establishment, and the person/people you are dealing with.

Adding goodies for free, or at a discount, may be more favourable than trying to get cash reductions, since that still leaves the dealer with cash in his pocket.  More of a win-win, if you will.

Finally, don't spend every last penny buying the van.  You're almost bound to find you need some wodge for something once you've bought it, they are expensive little toys!

When buying our Autotrail Miami we looked all over for the best deal , this we found 2 hours away in Newark at a very large dealers . We saved five thousand pounds buying from this dealer but in the first year probably spent that in fuel going back and forth for repairs and days off work and countless hours on the phone . So I totally agree with Brian Kirby and would certainly consider buying closer to home net time . Thankfully now fingers crossed all problems are sorted and we love our motorhome

You don't say if you have a motorhome to trade in. If you do then your in a healthy position as good used stock is a bit rare at the moment. If you haven't then ask the salesman what he can do on the price or what he is prepared to throw in. As mentioned before the screen price isn't everything and going for a deal that includes extras may mean that you are far better off. As you don't mention make or model so asking what you can expect to pay is a length of string type question

JudgeMental - 2010-07-19 12:00 PM

17%

Yes, that was my starting point - around £35k - he came back with 38... I said 36 with some extras thrown in, he said nope, £38k with nothing extra to play with.

Tracker - 2010-07-19 12:06 PM

The rules of supply and demand apply.

If there are plenty you can play one against t'other for the best deal - if there is only one and you want it all you can do is haggle hard and hope.

I think that might just be a big part of the problem - I think I need to fall for a van that'a a whole lot more popular and prevalent. I don't think he's had it on his forecourt all that long either, so that probably doesn't help my cause.

Brian Kirby - 2010-07-19 12:58 PM

If the dealer is a 200 mile round trip from where you live, and the van proves problematic, that could remove some of your smile! :-)

Remember also that, depending on the size of the dealership, driving too hard a bargain when buying may influence the dealer's attitude to you if you subsequently need his help or support. I'm not saying by any means pay the ticket price, but there is an element of "what goes round comes round", so if you skin him on the sale, he may exploit an opportunity to get his own back later!

Yes, I'm not the world's best negotiator anyway and am always concerned that when I try to play hardball it'll come back and bite me on the posterior later in the day.

Brian Kirby - 2010-07-19 12:58 PM

Adding goodies for free, or at a discount, may be more favourable than trying to get cash reductions, since that still leaves the dealer with cash in his pocket. More of a win-win, if you will. Finally, don't spend every last penny buying the van. You're almost bound to find you need some wodge for something once you've bought it, they are expensive little toys!

Yes, and I would be taking myself to the line to go too far over the 35K mark and would dearly love an awning ... Actually, scrub that - let's start with the basics - I'll need a gas bottle!

antony1969 - 2010-07-19 8:14 PM

When buying our Autotrail Miami we looked all over for the best deal , this we found 2 hours away in Newark at a very large dealers . We saved five thousand pounds buying from this dealer but in the first year probably spent that in fuel going back and forth for repairs and days off work and countless hours on the phone .

Yes, I guess dealer reputation should be factored into the price - this one is around 75 miles from us, and it would be a nightmare to use up all the leave taking the van backwards and forwards to them rather than spend it traveling! Their reputation is variable - using the info on MFH they have I think 7 positive reviews and 3 negative...

fjmike - 2010-07-19 8:24 PM

You don't say if you have a motorhome to trade in. If you do then your in a healthy position as good used stock is a bit rare at the moment. If you haven't then ask the salesman what he can do on the price or what he is prepared to throw in. As mentioned before the screen price isn't everything and going for a deal that includes extras may mean that you are far better off. As you don't mention make or model so asking what you can expect to pay is a length of string type question

Nope, I have nothing to trade in, and don't want finance so I'm not gaining popularity points there either :-(

Ach, I guess maybe I just need to phone them again tomorrow and tell them they can sell it to me for 36500 if they'll give me an awning too ... and just wait for them to tell me to bog off again :-D What else could I sensibly ask for as extras as a first time buyer - an aerial? Extra sockets? Leisure battery? Um - SOG (am still not entirely sure what that is but i know a lot of people rate it!!)... The silver screen thing?

fjmike - 2010-07-19 9:06 PM
What else could I sensibly ask for as extras as a first time buyer - ?
Start off with the basics 2 gas bottles, electric lead, ramps that 150 quids worth straight away

Probably worth around £150 to the buyer, but remember, it will only cost the dealer around £75 as he will have a 50% (at cost) margin on these products.

dawki - 2010-07-19 9:53 PM

If this really is the motorhome you want. DON’T loose it for the sake of a thousand quid.

If it is a rare model is it worth months of further hunting to find another?

Dawki

Yes, I guess I'm in danger of missing out on something that I really want partly for the sake of being stubborn and also thinking that money is better in my pocket than theirs ... :$ Hmm ....

Hi pickle Pot

It is unusual for a Dealer not to negotiate on the screen price.

The screen price usually allows for a Trade in / part exchange element.

I would certainly expect you could negotiate a reduction with No Trade In.

Especially when waving a wodge under their noses.

Remember the "main" selling season is coming to a close & he won't want to hold onto stock over winter & then have to substancially discount the price with it being a "last seasons/years model"

BUT:-

Is the Dealers price already a "Special offer".

Can you identify if the screen price is the List Price or not ?

i.e is it listed in MMM Buyers Guide. This will give you an indication against what the Dealer is offering.

Ask to talk to the Sales Director / Manager if the Salesman persists, (the Salesman may not have the authority to negotiate or maybe trying to protect the full amount of his commission).

If they are still reticent to move, ask them to include the annual Habitation checks for the 3 year warranty period.

Inclusion of Gas Bottles (including Regulator & hose), Electric Hook-up & Water hose, Fire Extinguisher should be easily negotiated.

nb - Leisure Battery should be included as a standard fitting, not a negotiated extra (unless you want to increase the Amp/Hour.

fjmike - 2010-07-19 9:06 PM

What else could I sensibly ask for as extras as a first time buyer - ?

Start off with the basics 2 gas bottles, electric lead, ramps that 150 quids worth straight away

Thank you - yes, can def see that they're worth having - but I kind of thought I'd ask for those at the end once he's agreed the price ...?

Thanks Flicka

In fairness to the dealer, his offer of 38k is a reduction of 2k off the screen price so he's already dropped some. Will go and have a hunt in the MMM magazines I have and see if I can see it in the Buyers' Guide, then try him/his boss again tomorrow.

Guest Tracker

Other goodies that are more worth having free than the basic items mentioned - depending on your tastes - are an awning, an alarm, cruise control, air conditioning, bike rack - if these items are not already present - as they are difficult to fit yourself unless you are a very competent diy-er.

Worth mentioning if you are nomadic and like to travel without use of mains electricity are a solar panel with regulator and a second leisure battery.

You may well have to have an alarm and possibly a tracker system fitted for insurance - have you got your insurance sorted yet?

You can only successfully negotiate if you are prepared to walk away. If you have done your homework and decided what the vehicle is worth to you, then make that offer to the dealer.

If he does not accept it then put the experience behind you and move on for the search for the next vehicle.

Make it clear this is your final offer. The offer can be with or without extras. The time of the deal negotiation is a good opportunity to get a reduced price on the extras.

Once the deal is agreed he will not give a penny discount on any extras.

Between 5-10% off screen depending on new or used, cost to start with etc any more than this and you are taking the preverbial and the dealer will get it back some other way eventually. On a new £40k van (boat or car for that matter) I would be expecting to give the dealer no more than £37k max and would probably wave my platinum card in his face saying that if he dealt at £37 plus a full tank of fuel and blah de blah de blah (whatever extras you need ramps etc up to the value of about £500 as this amount of accesories will only stand him prob at about £200 ish) then you will do the deal and leave a 5% deposit right here right now. Salesmen need to know you are serious and like to be able to close the deal straight away before the customer has time to change there mind or see a better deal elsewere. Be candid that you are prepared to deal TODAY and leave a deposit but only if the deal is right, be assertive and take control before they can, otherwise you will come out having dealt on there terms and be left thinking that they have done you a favour letting you buy it. Remember salesmen HATE tyre kickers and quite rightfully too. Money speaks and money NOW speaks more.

Another thing is buy at the end of the month if possible one of two things will have happened (1) they have had a bad month and will want to sell sell sell. (2) they have had a good month and a small earner at the 11th hour could just boost there sales bonus and or sales quota. Either way the end of the month is vital for all sales based business's.

The above is how I deal with it but I allways buy everythig cash so of course if you are taking out THERE finance some other and poss even better ways to deal are available.

Hope that helps.

Guest JudgeMental

I went to Düsseldorf show and decided on van. spoke to manufactures dealers there, got cards so had made contact. then I contacted them on my return asking for best export price for a poor English cousin.... 2 offered 17% so I choose the one nearest which is in Belgium (1.5 hrs from Calais)

regards issues, yes there has been a few but not serious, and I save them up and visit dealer on one of our trips abroad. They are excellent with reasonable prices. anything mechanical is dealt with the Ford dealer a couple of miles away.

at the end of the day I saved over £10.000 so worth the extra effort. getting the van to and from brown ills with all the associated grief and cost was something I was not prepared to do

Archived