Cleaning the High Front Bits

Mountain_Biker

Hello all - I know you all like to keep your motorhomes clean and shiny - so I am looking for ideas on how I can clean the front high bits over the bonnet. On mine it is set back from the bonnet to make stretching off a step ladder too dangerous. I have thought of scaffolding - a bit extreme - or maybe one of those four section ladders that you can use for decorating.

Suggestions please... *-)

Mountain_Biker - 2010-07-20 3:54 PM

Hello all - I know you all like to keep your motorhomes clean and shiny - so I am looking for ideas on how I can clean the front high bits over the bonnet. On mine it is set back from the bonnet to make stretching off a step ladder too dangerous. I have thought of scaffolding - a bit extreme - or maybe one of those four section ladders that you can use for decorating.

Pay somebody else to do it?? Works for me.

starvin marvin - 2010-07-20 5:34 PM

Pay somebody else to do it?? Works for me.

Totally agree-costs me a tenner to have it washed, rinsed and hot wax down the local car wash-lot easier than walking on a plank etc-anyway the plank next door is cleaning his caravan!

1) Use a power hose to wet and float as much stuff off as possible

2) Use a bucket of water with shampoo (various types - Fenwicks, Aldi's Auto Glym,) Wash with the water and shampoo using a telescopic handle brush bought in Homebase

3) Rinse off with power hose

I do understand what you are saying, it certainly is not easy cleaning the "high front bits". I use a high step ladder for the top but still find the underneath area still extremely difficult and the small area between the front screen and the underhang virtually impossible. For this area I now use a bottle brush cleaner which seems to do the job very well.

I have been introduced to the "No wash clean and polish" liquid which now makes cleaning the motorhome a joy. It used to take me 2 hours to wash, rinse and leather and 2 days to polish. I can now do the whole motorhome in a morning and by doing it regularly it builds up a protective coat that seems to repel dirt.

I purchased "Pro Shine" off the internet but CC site offices sell a version.

Hope this is of interest

fjmike - 2010-07-20 10:48 PM

Totally agree-costs me a tenner to have it washed, rinsed and hot wax down the local car wash!

You care so little about your motorhome?? 8-)

Don't see why I care less about my motorhome because somebody else cleans it for me-he uses a hosepipe, long brush and a wax spray. What would I use at home? A hosepipe, and a long brush with no wax spray.

If someone wants to spend 2 days washing and polishing it, then let them do so-that's their perogative-I prefer to have the time away somewhere enjoying my motorhome.

2 days or a tenner? To me it's a no brainer but then to each his own

Don't see why I care less about my motorhome because somebody else cleans it for me-he uses a hosepipe, long brush and a wax spray. What would I use at home? A hosepipe, and a long brush with no wax spray.

If someone wants to spend 2 days washing and polishing it, then let them do so-that's their perogative-I prefer to have the time away somewhere enjoying my motorhome.

2 days or a tenner? To me it's a no brainer but then to each his own

The point I was trying to make (apologies if it offended) is that at £10 even in these cash strapped times your not going to get a very good wash. Also a wax spray is only very temporary and really needs a proper wax now and then. I was talking to a motorhomer the other day and he said that he couldn't be bothered to clean his van, just got the local supermarket guys to give it the once over. Having seen the grit that these fellas wash cars with I wouldn't let them near any of my vehicles and having seen the state of this guys van it made me realise how sound that judgment was.

Reply to Mountain Biker, I have been using "Pro Shine now for 3 months giving the motorhome 6 going overs and so far can not see any detremental signs. Interestingly the product sold at CC site offices specifically states for motorhomes.

I must confess my motorhome now 4 years old is looking better than it did when first delivered from new. I have also used it on my car which had been left for 4 weeks outside while we were away and the vehicle came up shining.

You say you have cleaned your m/home 6 times in 3 months.

Do you rally in it or something? :D

If you ever get sick of cleaning yours, you can do mine anytime you want. There will be a cup of tea in it for you.

Thanks in anticipation. :-D

747 - 2010-07-22 12:36 PM

You say you have cleaned your m/home 6 times in 3 months.

He has to clean it that often so he doesn't rub too much dirt into the paint work. The extra shine that he is seeing is due to the canuba wax that he has been applying. One thing to remember is that motorhome paintwork is very thin and doesn't have a layer of lacquer like most car paint, so treat it with a bit of respect

Well, well!  And to think, ours just gets cleaned in the spring, and again in the autumn.  It gets the full Fenwick's job both times, and the tin bits get a bit of Auto Glym Super Resin.  Wheel arches always well hosed off, roof usually just once, in spring.  Most of what hits the higher bits comes off in rain, and the wasps etc seem to eat the rest!  Windscreen, side windows, and mirrors, get more attention for obvious reasons.  That's it.  Van is fine, and I get time to do other things!  :-D

Must admit I agree with others who suggest paying to have it cleaned.

I have a good power washer but haven't used it now for a while. As I am on a metered water supply I pay for every drop I use, add to that the electricity plus hassle of getting it out of the garage and then packing it all away each time. As someone else said....it's a no brainer.

Costs me just £4 to have my car done and they do an excellent job too. Usually three or four guys work together on ONE vehicle at a time, plus they do all sills, door bottoms, and frame. That also includes hand drying.

These guys set up business only a couple of months ago and already won a contract to do the local Ambulances.

747 - 2010-07-22 11:57 PM

Thats good news bulletguy.

I am pleased the Romanian and Lithuanian illegal immigrants are being kept busy with an honest living.

No minimum wage paid there I bet. *-)

Perhaps worth checking your defininition of illegal immigrants - as far as I'm aware, Romania and Lithuania are both part of the EU and, as such, have as much right to work here as you have to go run a bar in Spain/open a gite in France/offer guided tours round Rome.

I profusely apologise Pickle Pot. It is very hard for an old fogey like me to keep track of the modern pace of life. Especially now that I no longer have a Passport.

As for the later post regarding slaves and cotton, with the onset of global warming and the ethics of the Banking profession, I fear that is where our Grandchildren`s future lies.

:'(

747 - 2010-07-23 11:42 AM

Especially now that I no longer have a Passport.

:'(

Well I guess that's scuppered my plans for you to set up a bar in spain ;-)

I think every generation worries about what they're leaving to their grandchildren - I suspect my grandparents (in their 60s in the 60s) thought my generation would be wiped out in a nuclear war, the generation before them (in their 60s in the 40s) could only see the economic and social disaster following WW2, etc. Yet life keeps going ahead and people seem to work things out.

Sorry - I'll let this topic go back to the scrubbing your High Front Bits, I'm off on a topic waffle! :$

Archived