P&R Edinburgh

Norma

How I agree with John Thompson's views. I'll add my two penneth later.

But on the strength of that I thought I'd show you the bad news about one of our local Park & Ride facility's in Edinburgh.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Gypsies-invade-park-and-ride.6428671.jp

I understood that Edinburgh were happy to allow overnight stopping of M/H's at the P&R. And indeed have seen many enjoying the facility near to us. However I notice in the above article it states o/n parking is illegal. And certainly the behaviour of these travellers will soon put an end to the facility. Thankfully, so far, this has only affected one P&R. Maybe it has something to do with a local resident who often has multiple caravans of the travelling type (lots of chrome) on his property...

Do they suffer from this problem on French, German etc. Aires ?

If so how do they deal with the situation, is it something the Uk needs to learn from & introduce ?

If not why are the "travellers" a problem in the UK & not in mailand Europe.

Flika,

Do you really want the real truth :D In France and other parts the law just dishes out the law and its move on now or else.

In England hahahaha need I say more :D

I always say the public gets what the public wants ,well the majority anyway .

France as well as recognising the needs of motor homes also recognises the needs of gypsies -gens de voyage- and makes provision However there are places where there are problems such as the Loire where a policeman was killed in a confrontation with gypsies last weekend.

The French law of 2000 is a good example of carrot and stick -the state pushing for and helping local areas fund more sites and giving mayors more power to move travellers on.

In Europe it is a problem but it doesn't tend to have a direct effect on our places to stop. Yes of course there my be places where we choose to move on but France will not stop us staying in aires etc. It is amazing to see how the travelling itenerant workers tap into the electricty and water facilities and carry their launderettes around with them... And frequently, if youare lucky, they will pile their rubbish up at their entrance for the council to clear away.

I'm more concerned that park and ride facilities will tar us all with the same brush and not allow the overnight stopovers.

However, I'm sure when this large festival has ended they may move on again for a few months.

We had 4 vans, locally, 2 Brits and 2 Italians last night. Lovely sight and long may it last.

Archived