roof vent

lunartraveller1

On my 1999 Lunar Roadstar there is fitted a Brutsaert extractor roof vent. Whilst I was cleaning the roof my wife opened the vent and I noticed there was two square holes about 8mm square in the side of the vent.I am worried that it could leak water into the roof although the holes are covered when the vent is closed. Any info gratefully received.

lunartraveller1 - 2010-07-22 6:47 PM

On my 1999 Lunar Roadstar there is fitted a Brutsaert extractor roof vent. Whilst I was cleaning the roof my wife opened the vent and I noticed there was two square holes about 8mm square in the side of the vent.I am worried that it could leak water into the roof although the holes are covered when the vent is closed. Any info gratefully received.

I don't quite understand this query.

When it rains I assume the extractor will be closed, so where will the water leak come from ?

(I haven't got a Brutsaert but I am assuming that they are all similar in construction).

:-|

Perhaps I did not make myself very clear,these holes are in the side wall of the vent surround and only about 3mm above the roof. When the vent is closed rain will not get in but my worry was because of the Luton costruction if water pooled by the vent it would enter the vent then where would it go.

You describe two holes, 8mm square.  I therefore assume they are not the result of accidental damage, and must have been there some time, if not from new.  Your van, I hesitate to remind you, is now over 10 years old.  If there is no sign of leakage via the holes after 10 years, why should it start now?

Archived