Luxembourg - Bruges

alan

Hi All

Bit of help and advice, please. We're on our way to the Italian Lakes, via Luxembourg to pick up some cheap diesel - has anybody any idea of the price of beer and spirits in Luxembourg, is this also cheaper? :-D

We also need an Aires or Campsite somewhere in the Bruges area so we can rest up after the journey down from the Midlands and the sailing - all suggestions gratefully received.

Alan

alan - 2010-07-24 8

We also need an Aires or Campsite somewhere in the Bruges area so we can rest up after the journey down from the Midlands and the sailing - all suggestions gratefully received.

Alan

Camping Memling Bruges - a pleasant site with an easy and short cycle ride into the city. Details are in the CC Camping Europe Book that covers Belgium.

If that is full you could head to the coast where there are a number of sites. We found that it was easy to park for free near the city walls at Bruges, not far from the windmills. ( If you are heading for Camping memling you'll see the windmills.)

Hi Mel Wood

Thanks for your helpful reply. As it happens, we know the windmills (pre-motorhome days) so I think we'll probably head off to there! Many thanks for your suggestions.

Still curious if duty on alcohol is cheaper in Luxembourg?

Alan

Petrol & diesel is cheaper. I bought some booze just outside the city of Luxembourg earlier this year the shop was on the forecourt of the service station selling just booze and Fags the prices cheaper than the Uk at that time. Other service stations on main roads visited did not sell booze

Hi Alan

Thanks for asking a qustion I was going to ask! We are in Birmingham and planning a slow trip to Pompeii / naples etc in september and intend to go via Belgium & Luxembourg. I dont know if you have an interest or relations who were in the first world war but a stop at Ypres ( Ieper locally) to see the Menin Gate & the museum is certainly worth it and only an hours drive from Calais. There is a campsite a mile out of the town and I can send you details if you are interested

When do you leave?

Best wishes Bob

Hi Bob

Notice from your postings, you are going to Pompeii and Napoli - we did a similar trip and stayed at the campsite Sparticus. This site takes a lot of stick from some of our friends on the Forum but we found it quite satisfactory, typical Italian close together and a lot of school parties at this time of year, but all the kids bedded down at 10pm with no noise. The main reason for liking the site is that Pompeii is only a short walk from the site and the railway station for trains to Napoli, one way and Sorrento the other way, so you can kill three birds with one camp!

This is a bit daft, I've now hijacked my own listing - can I get back to my original subject: cost of booze in Luxembourg? :-D

Alan

Where would we be without Mr Google?

John

"Culture of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The culture of Luxembourg refers to the cultural life and traditions of the small ... prominently on many menus, and German and Belgian cuisine (but not as much). ... Alcohol is cheaper in Luxembourg than anywhere else in Europe. ...

Museums - Painters - Photographers - Poets

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Luxembourg - Cached - Similar"

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies to my original posting, these have been a great help.

Alan - looks good, I'll have a look at these caves

Brendan - I always keep an eye on the overall weight of my van and I always watch what I take on board (in moderation, that is) but I don't know if 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' agrees with my interpretation of moderation!

Thanks again, all. (lol)

Alan

Archived