Battery problem (part 2) now not a stupid question.

Hopesy

Following on from my previous thread http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20369&posts=3

i have had the van on hook up for 24 hrs still no go, so i tried jumping it from the car but although the alarm triggered then shut down again it's still completely dead, I wasn't completely happy with the jump cables connection on one end). The battery is Showing less that 3 volts across the terminals. Now got it it on a proper charger. I've checked the electrolyte levels and all appears fine.

Am i missing something and should the battery recover?? The vans less that 3 years old. Why didn't it charge while on hook up?

Guest JudgeMental

Can you turn the vehicle alarm of at source to stop the power drain while trying to sort this out?

I now nothing re these things, but I changed the battery in car at just over 3 years old. the camper ones at same age seem OK but I wont know till they aren't, so 3-4 years old could mean a new battery is necessary couldn't it?

If your battery has been allowed to go down to 3 volts its unlikely to recover, still worth a try though. With it that flat a jump start was never going to work as the dead battery would just "suck" up all the power being transferred. My money's on a new battery being required.

D.

To answer your earlier question, it seems the on-board charger does not charge your starter battery while on hook-up.  Either this is not possible at all, or you need to select which battery the charger is feeding. 

If it is the first time this has happened, and it did not reach that voltage too long back, it may re-charge OK, but it is asking a lot.  Leave it charging at least 24 hours, then disconnect, check the electrolyte level again, top up as necessary and, if it needed much topping up, give it another 24 hours on charge to be on the safe side.

In the light of that experience, it seems a good idea to double check the charging regime, and make provision for the charger to charge the starter battery as well as, or instead of, the leisure battery.  Otherwise, repeat experiences seem probable.

Brian thanks for the info. I've checked the technical blurb and it seems that hook up does not charge the van battery. Still on an industrial charger at the moment and the voltage has come up and still drawing current so I'll have to wait and see if it recovers enough and holds charge.

Well that's the van started (we'll see if the battery holds up) but now i have a yellow warning light on when the engines running. The light is in the shape of an engine and the handbook states "emission problems" consult a dealer. Probably a sensor of some sort and related to the battery going flat as all was well beforehand. Oh well phone calls tomorrow!! *-)

Thanks for the replies and P.M's. The van started first time this morning and the yellow warning light has gone. Spoke to a friend who works for Peugeot servicing and he reckons that it was just a reset needed (the warning light problem that is) and it'll take care of itself (which it sems to have) or a quick visit to put right. Hopefully the battery will lastand no permenant damage done.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived