umwelt plakette ??

thebishbus

Hi all. Right we are off tomorrow at the start of our months epic. First day at Canterbury, then crossing to Dunkerque on Wednesday. After two weeks in France we are planning to go into Germany for the rest of the month. I have just had a thought about the umwelt plakette, ie- will we qualify for one ? Our van is a 2001 registered 2.8 id TD. I see you have to present your V5C to obtain a sticker, I presume this is to verify the emission figures, our V5C does not show any emission figures, does this mean, no figures, no sticker of any colour, if so are we still alright to go, as long as we avoid the emission zones.? Incidentally which P/R (the one near the pub) at Canterbury do we use, the one off the A2/A28 , or the one of the A2050.? Thank you.

Brian B.

Hi,

Use the New Dover Road P+R. There is a dedicated motorhome area and there is a pub at the exit. Try to arrive before the P+R closes at I think 9pm but you can always check first by phoning or going on line.

If the barrier will not raise at night which is normal do what I and others do and park discretely on the exit road just up from the exit barrier. I can understand why the access is denied after certain hours but it's no problem if you are inside as the exit barrier still works at any time.

Bill Ord

As a foreign vehicle without an emissions 'schlussl' on the documents, an umwelt plakette will (should) be issued based on date of first registration.

When I bought one at a TUV station last year, they (though very friendly) went all around the houses trying to get an emissions figure, before reverting to the date method.

I'm not sure if they treat motorcaravans as PKW (cars) or LKW (lorries), but if it's the former (which I suspect under 3500kg), registration after 01.01.2001 will give you a yellow sticker, the latter requires registration after 01.10.2001 for yellow.

You will be fine without a sticker if you keep out of emissions zones altogether (the fine is 40 euros if you don't).

Also, be aware that some emissions zones have specifically extended the validity date for yellow stickers FOR FOREIGN VEHICLES ONLY, as some areas went green only for locals from this year.

HTH

Guest JudgeMental

An "environmental sticker" web site is here:

the site has a map and all the info you need

http://tiny.cc/cxckg

and they can be purchased on line. your van is probably to old to get a green one which is OK unless you wish to visit green sticker City's where you can be hammered with fines...someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

the site has a map and all the info you need

Is there a more detailed map anywhere? The zones shown on that map seem to indicate that it will be impossible to transit Germany (Luxembourg > Switzerland) after Jan 2012 without passing through a yellow sticker zone.

Andy

"Is there a more detailed map anywhere?"

The most official info is at http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index.htm (In German only)

With a bit of practice, it is possible to drill down to detail, including detailed maps, by using the top left search box, and entering state and/or zone colour. (A PDF link for detail appears in the search results)

I also believe that in many (all?) cases, transiting via autobahns, even if they pass through a defined zone, is still allowed.

In reply to Rupert, it is prbably worthwhile buying a plakette anyway IF it potentially gives you access to certain zones you might use, but given that many zones will require green before long, if you have an older vehicle, the only option will be to change, or avoid zones - hence worth knowing what the restrictions are.

Robinhood - 2010-07-26 11:36 AM

"Is there a more detailed map anywhere?"

The most official info is at http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index.htm (In German only)

With a bit of practice, it is possible to drill down to detail, including detailed maps, by using the top left search box, and entering state and/or zone colour. (A PDF link for detail appears in the search results)

I also believe that in many (all?) cases, transiting via autobahns, even if they pass through a defined zone, is still allowed.

In reply to Rupert, it is prbably worthwhile buying a plakette anyway IF it potentially gives you access to certain zones you might use, but given that many zones will require green before long, if you have an older vehicle, the only option will be to change, or avoid zones - hence worth knowing what the restrictions are.

Thanks for that. It looks as though it might be possible to transit from Luxembourg to Switzerland without entering any of the zones.

It can't be that difficult to produce an easily navigated map showing the zones in Germany but apparently it's beyond the capabilities of the Germans...

As our motorhome is 1999 we only qualify for a red sticker, but if it's true that transiting via the autobahns does not require a sticker I won't bother to get one. Looks like a red sticker will be pretty useless by 2012 anyway.

Andy

Hi,

I Have traveled in Germany quiet a lot I really wouldn't worry to much, the zones are clearly marked and are no where near as all encompassing as the London LEZ is e.g the M25 ring,

For example you can get quiet close to the centre of Koln before the Umweltzone becomes a problem, i.e you can get onto the Steplatz on the river which is a 10/15 min bike ride to the Cathedral or 20/30 min walk or the tram takes about 5/10 mins, you have to approach from the north (I Believe) but it really isn't a problem, they don't appear to have gone over-board like Transport for London did.

Having said all of the above its worth getting the sticker.

Andy_C - 2010-07-26 7:15 PM

....but if it's true that transiting via the autobahns does not require a sticker I won't bother to get one.

Andy

I was 99.9% sure this was true, and a quick trawl of the web in both English and German confirms it - just stay on the Autobahn, and don't exit into the zone.

Archived