Problems with Autotrail Scout

boxer1

My brother recently purchased his first motorhome a 2005 Autotrail Scout SE. The seller who is not a motorhome dealer provided cert for the gas and habitation. Went on holiday thinking all would be in order but not. When connected to the electrict after a short time he was unable to use the shower as the water was to hot and the fridge would not work on gas, worked for a minute and then stopped. As my van is a lot older and the systems in his van are more up to date than mine I thought I only had to refer to the owners handbook?

The handbook is very brief on its information and shows no diagrams of each systems. Water heater is a Trauma Ultrastore. What would the problem be and can I excess manuls on each system in the van.

Boxer1

Guest JudgeMental

most motorhome showers are a manual mix of hot and cold water? No thermostatic control? like most domestic showers?

you need to show him how to use it.....

as for the gas on fridge, it can take literally forever for gas to work its way up to the ignition if it has been left unused for ages....just get him to leave the hob on and be patient and keep trying.

I think you can see the burner from outside if you remove the grill (have never needed to do this myself) then if some one trys to start it from inside you can watch from the outside to see what is happening....

Judge

Thanks for quick reply. The thermo control is on the panel at the door but I think there is a problem with the thermostat, it is not cutting out when it should. Could it be the switch at the panel or are there other controls at the appliance. This is why I am lookink for a diagram of the system.

I rang a seller of the Trauma heaters thinking they would have a manual but no they told me to take it to a qualified agent. Mybe this is why there are so little information on the system ££££££££££.

Everytime I put the fridge on it would work for a minute and then stop. Its as if the pipe is partly blocked and only a small amount of gas is getting through.

Boxer1

For the Ultrastore, go here and download the appropriate one: (you may need to turn of your pop-up blocker if you have one.) http://tinyurl.com/yf265wg

Is the thermostat on the fridge set to max when trying to get it to light on gas?  If not, it needs to be.  If you know the fridge type and model No, you can download full operating instructions here: http://tinyurl.com/34vklap

It can take several attempts to purge all air from the gas line, and setting the stat to max is the quickest way to achieve this.  The same stat controls temp when on mains, so if it is OK on mains the stat is not the problem.  It may have its flue choked, the jet may be blocked, or the thermocouple may be misaligned or have failed.  Maybe a service visit if you can get it to light, but it fails to run?

Guest Tracker

I don't suppose the winter covers are still on the outside fridge vents as that might make it overheat and cut out in warm weather?

If you don't live near a motorhome service centre any caravan repairer should be able to help as the systems are common to both caravans and motorhomes.

Most water heaters make the water too hot to shower - that's why they have mixer taps - the hotter the hot water the longer the small tank of it lasts when mixed to a cooler temperature to wash or shower with!

Thanks for the advice sofar. Printed off the instructions for the Trauma. Thats what I have been looking for explains the system better. Not sure what type of fridge but will find out tomorrow. All the covers are off, must check the flu.

I was talking to my brother before coming online. When he switched the emerson of at the mains switch in the wardrobe he thought that the system was still on and heating the water. The gas was not on it was turned off at the panel. He ran off the hot water and it was again hot in the morning? strange one.

Boxer1

have you had a look on the Autotrail website for older model handbooks?

try this link , not sure if there's enough info though?

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/downloads.htm

As a slight aside we had a problem on my previous caravan where the Thermo Coupler (I think thats what they called it) on the oven was not aligned properly.

Basically the oven would light for about 30 seconds then this sensor would cut out the gas because it got too hot too quick. Dont know if this would apply to the fridge though.

Archived