Registration document

snowie

In October we took delivery of our panel van conversion, and since then I've been intending to have the registration document changed to reflect the fact that it is no longer a goods vehicle and is now a motorcaravan.

I have not been able to establish whether this is a legal requirement, or just a good idea, as a Motorcaravan is not limited to 60Mph on dual carriageways whereas a Light Goods Vehicle is (that's my understanding).

I understand that there is no change in the cost of Road Tax in either case.

It gets a bit complicated.

On the registration document;

I had expected that the vehicle would cease to be a Light Goods Vehicle; that [J] Vehicle Category, would change from N1 to M1. Apparently this is not the case.

As I understand it, N1 is a vehicle used for carriage of goods, with a maximum of 3.5Tonnes.Once registered as such , I'm told by my local DVLA Office that's what it remains.

I can see that it remains a panel van, but it is no longer a Light Goods Vehicle.It is no longer used to carry "goods."

[s1} will change from 3 seats to 2 seats.

I was expecting it to be changed to M1, which I understand to be a vehicle with no more than 8 seats in addition to the driver.

What changes; apparently, is [D3] Body Type; which changes to Motorcaravan, (from panel van).

I've had the van weighed, and I'm happy with the weights; Front axle; 1520Kg. Rear axle 1440Kg, Total 2960Kg. The van is plated @ 3500Kg. We shall comply when fully laden.

For comparison; Our other 2 vehicles are a Renault Scenic, and a Vauxhall Corsa , they are,Taxation Class;

Vehicle and Taxation class Body Type

Scenic :Private Light Goods (PLG) (N1) 5 Door Hatchback

Ducato: Light Goods Vehicle (N1) Panel van

Corsa: Petrol Car (M1) 3 Door Hatchback

I'm wondering if, at the end of this process I'll still be restricted to 60mph on dual carriageways?

Finally; I can't find any reference to "Motorcaravan" anywhere on DVLA website or anywhere else, and no reference to speeed limits for Taxation Classes or Body Types.

I look forward to this all being simplified!

cheers, snowie

There is the occasional reference to the term “motor caravan” in DVLA literature - for example, on page 7 of the INF106 booklet “How to import your vehicle into Great Britain (GB)” on

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/INF106.ashx

and a vehicle ‘body type’ definition of “motor caravan” is acceptable to the DVLA as far as UK vehicle registration is concerned.

The following link claims that it’s a legal requirement in the UK for vehicle registration documentation to reflect accurately the vehicle’s classification and, as far as motor caravans are concerned, there seems to be positive advantages in having a PVC’s original ‘goods’ registration-classification revised to “motor caravan” after the conversion has taken place.

http://www.caravanwise.co.uk/motor/diycamper.html

Certainly, if you’ve got a PVC motor caravan and insure it as such, then it’s likely that the insurance provider will expect the vehicle to be UK-registered as a Motor Caravan not as a Light Goods Vehicle.

UK speed limits are based on the archaic (and difficult to police) concept of ‘unladen weight’, as shown on the following link:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/60035D01-5750-4E72-91FE-760B6DD21FC7/0/YourTop20Motorcaravanquestions.pdf

Given the weights you’ve provided, after you’ve had the vehicle reclassified you should no longer be restricted to 60mph on dual carriageways.

Regarding the vehicle category (eg. N1, M1 etc.), this will have been recorded by the DVLA based on the information/documentation provided to them when your vehicle was first UK-registered. The N1 category ‘code’ will have been extracted from your Ducato’s European Certificate of Conformity (ECOC) issued by Fiat when the vehicle was built. The fact that the vehicle has now become a motor caravan doesn’t affect the ECOC data retrospectively. Assuming the category was correctly recorded by the DVLA initially, (and, in your case it was) it won’t be altered subsequently.

(Incidentally, there’s little point trying to rationalize the UK’s vehicle-registration system. It’s grown up on a piecemeal basis, reacting primarily to government initiatives rather than logic. That it may now seem weird in certain areas (like motor caravan registration/classification) is just the predictable result of the constant fiddling with the system that’s gone on over the years.)

snowie - 2010-07-27 1:10 AM

In October we took delivery of our panel van conversion, and since then I've been intending to have the registration document changed to reflect the fact that it is no longer a goods vehicle and is now a motorcaravan.

I have not been able to establish whether this is a legal requirement, or just a good idea, as a Motorcaravan is not limited to 60Mph on dual carriageways whereas a Light Goods Vehicle is (that's my understanding).

I understand that there is no change in the cost of Road Tax in either case.

It gets a bit complicated.

On the registration document;

I had expected that the vehicle would cease to be a Light Goods Vehicle; that [J] Vehicle Category, would change from N1 to M1. Apparently this is not the case.

As I understand it, N1 is a vehicle used for carriage of goods, with a maximum of 3.5Tonnes.Once registered as such , I'm told by my local DVLA Office that's what it remains.

I can see that it remains a panel van, but it is no longer a Light Goods Vehicle.It is no longer used to carry "goods."

[s1} will change from 3 seats to 2 seats.

I was expecting it to be changed to M1, which I understand to be a vehicle with no more than 8 seats in addition to the driver.

What changes; apparently, is [D3] Body Type; which changes to Motorcaravan, (from panel van).

The key to your question is whether the panel van's first registration was before or after it was converted.

If it was first registered after conversion you can apply to the DVLA to change the taxation class but you will need to provide proof of the date of conversion. It would be a good idea to check whether you will actually make a saving on the Road Tax before doing this! As far as I know it's not a legal requirement.

You should certainly have the body type changed to Motor Caravan.

Andy

I have converted two vans from Panel Van to Motor Caravan and in my experience you need to get your V5 changed for a number of reasons.

Apart from speed limits you may have a problem with your insurance, depending on who you are with, in that the DVLA and your insurance policy do not agree on what you are driving.

In the case of an accident this may be an issue.

Also in my case of self built mator homes the insurance is substantialy lower once converted.

Archived