France - September

naittaw

Having had to cancel a spring trip to France we are now going for 3 weeks in September. What area would you recommend (weather ?), What sites would you recommend ? We prefer informal / walking distance to village / river side / off lead dog walking (half mile or so). All suggestions most welcome.

Weather usualy settled September could be hot to start with then gets quite pleasant. Not too cold in the Mountains. Try the Auvergne, Dordogne we have spent some lovely visits to Vichy in Sept, theres lovely walks by the River, Horse Racing also the interesting side of taking the waters.

The Camargue can be very nice in Sept not many Mozzies then, if interested in Birdwatching it will be the start of the Winter Migration.

Turn right out of Calais and just go!

Enjoy.

~We are going over in a couple of weeks making our way through France, Southern Germany then onto Slovenia and Croatia.

Just dont pinch all the good weather for our return through Italy and France.

David

We are in exactly the same position. Wife broke her wrist so we had to put off our trip until September.

We are going for the month armed with an ACSI card. All the Aries and the Caravan Club European Sites Guide.

This is only our second trip to France in a motorhome but have been many times in a caravan or renting gites. We have usually gone in September in recent years since we are no longer tied to school holidays etc.

Nothing is booked except the tunnel crossing.

The loose plan is to aim for Burgundy, Vichy Limousin, Loire then home.

We travel with a cocker spaniel so have to plan the return trip to the vet no less then 24 hours or more than 48 hours before the return tunnel crossing.

The weather in September in these areas has in previous years been generally very good and rarely too hot.

We are off to France for the first 3 weeks of September plan is to go to the Massif Central if the weather gets iffy we will just head south, Italy Slovenia wherever it's warm and dry.

Camps sites & Aires will have mostly Germans & Dutch on them French don't do holidays much after 15th August.

We did the Il de Re last year in late August early September..we had a little rain for a couple of days at the start of September but afterwards it was lovely..We do like that side of France but that's just personal taste it wasn't too crowded either enough room on the aires well during the week anyway.. it got busier at weekends all along the coast was nice St Jean de Monts..St Croix really good plenty of safe bike riding..Failing that try the Il de Oleron that too is a great place that too has lots of walks and bike lanes off the road (Can you tell I'm a bit biased toward the Vendee coast!!)lots of good stopovers on the way down to the Vendee use the ACSI Book and the Aires book as said Calais and turn right!!!

I'm with Mondo as we are returning to the Vendee in late August but we found last year that most of the aires get very full every weekend so get to the one you want to use early, Thursday maybe. Anywhere around La Rochelle is lovely. Last September the tempretures were around high 20's low 30's which is hot enough for use and our Springer.

We used to take our hols late Aug early Sept and found that the French think that the season is over and a lot of campsites were shut by the second week of Sept. As others say there are plenty of other nationalities enjoying ACSI sites and airres

Weare off in Sept as usual. We always seem to end up in the Dordogne butI'm determined to get to the med this year so we're heading the Gorge de Verdun then on to Cote D'azur perhaps Port Grimaud, nothing set in stone just some ideas, we'll keep an eye on the forecast. Bet we end up in the Dordogne *-)

Cote D'azur even in sept the campsites are 30e+ a night and still busy,aires very rare and packed,cavalaire sur mer is the only one i would recommend, we were at la lavandou 2yrs ago and only got a pitch with a seaview because somebody left early.the coast the west side of camargue is cheaper but IMO not as interesting

We always go in either June or September as everything is open but with less people. Last year we did the Ardeche right up to the source of the Loire at Gerbier de Jonc,quite a climb but stunning views (there is a lovely Aire at Villerest with a great dog walk all around the lake) , we then travelled through the Tarn gorges, across the Millau bridge and into the Gers - for some Armagnac before travelling back up to Brittany. As already said, we avoid the coast as we have some of the best beaches in the UK, we head for the rivers and mountains.

We were going to Italy for nearly 3 weeks at the end of August / beginning of September BUT.... now going to Central France where we are in the process of buying a property (long story!) We couldn't be further from the sea, which is surprising for us as ex-sailors, pre-motorhoming days, at the Northern edge of the Auverne.

The final formalities should be completed at the beginning of our holiday then we can plan in earnest for our retirement at the end of next year - planning to rent out our UK home and live in France, at least for a few years - it all started when we wanted a French base for our motorhome - strange how things turn out....*-)

We are looking forward to exploring the area in depth and hope to eventually open part of the property for a few motorhomes to stop over in the heart of the country. Can't wait for September! We may even see some of you on the way - I will be the one with a huge grin on my face, waving at all motorhomers, my husband will be driving and probably frowning thinking of all the work we need to do!!! ;-) Happy holidays to all. B-)

I'm surprised by the comments about French beaches. I suppose it depends where you go.

I've often been down to the beaches in the South West - south of the Gironde estuary, and I can't think of any U.K. beaches with so many miles of sand / dunes and forests, and often very few people.

( .. as a bonus it's usually been hot ).

:-|

malc d - 2010-07-28 10:16 AM

I'm surprised by the comments about French beaches. I suppose it depends where you go.

I've often been down to the beaches in the South West - south of the Gironde estuary, and I can't think of any U.K. beaches with so many miles of sand / dunes and forests, and often very few people.

( .. as a bonus it's usually been hot ).

:-|

I for one never mentioned beaches, just coast. I suppose it depends what you like. My wife and I both get bored in about ten minutes with an expanse of sand and nothing much else. We both prefer the coast of places like Scotland from around Skye up to Durness in particular or parts of Cornwall, North Wales where you have fantastic coastel scenery, nowhere we have ever been can touch the UK coast for us. France has pleasant coastel places were we stay for a night or two but no more. Places like Ill de re leave us cold just a flat expanse of not much and you have to pay to get their, 16euro, last time we went. Still good job we are not all the same or it would get very crowded.

We are also off to france in september for ten days, taking the dogs with us, dont have an itinary, just the tunnel booking, freezer full of quorn for the memsab, she being veggie, turn south and follow yer lights. Good luck, must go now, got to load me Fair FX card with some more Euros.

Many thanks to all those who have responded to my original post. The common theme is just "go", and that's what we usually do. We have a rough itinerary before we start, to ensure we get back to the tunnel on time, but seldom keep to it. The down side is that we tend to return to the same places regularly because we like them, but in doing that we must miss other interesting locations. It would be good to identify some new possibilities without too many mistakes !

Slightly off topic - (1) Given the number of replies saying "we are going to France in Sept too" perhaps we should plan a "meet for a meal venue" !

(2) Perhaps MMM should offer an "I'm an MMM Forum Contributor" sticker so that we might identify one another in the tunnel queue ?

To all travelling in September (or at any other time), have a good trip.

We are also away the 1st Sept to France for 6 weeks. Should have gone in May but wife fractured her ankle whilst we where walking in the Peak district.We have a rough plan heading down to the med via annecy then if th eweather is good making our way back up to Alsace and luxembourg then Ypre for a couple of nights. We will be travelling in our Trigano tribute so give us a wave if you are passing.....

go to ypres quite often love the place and the history,we always park in the carpark at the sports stadium as recomended by tourist office, gets busy early eve but ok.short walk to mennengate and town centre.if not already done go to tynecott cemetry makes you feel humble and appreciate life. ope this is some use to someone B-)

bigal55 - 2010-07-27 8:17 PM

Cote D'azur even in sept the campsites are 30e+ a night and still busy,aires very rare and packed,cavalaire sur mer is the only one i would recommend, we were at la lavandou 2yrs ago and only got a pitch with a seaview because somebody left early.the coast the west side of camargue is cheaper but IMO not as interesting

30e+!!!! not with the ACSI card, and i only use aires as one night stop overs while on route so not too bothered about that. Just need to try somewhere we haven't been! Visted Cap d'age area a few years back and I'm not rushing back

rapidoman - 2010-07-30 4:30 PM

go to ypres quite often love the place and the history,we always park in the carpark at the sports stadium as recomended by tourist office, gets busy early eve but ok.short walk to mennengate and town centre.if not already done go to tynecott cemetry makes you feel humble and appreciate life. ope this is some use to someone B-)

Planning to go to Ypres in Sept, have found (Through researchiing family tree)that I have a great uincle mentioned on the Menin Gate memorial, We prefer camp sites to aires, so is there one close bye ?

PJay

there is a campsite in ypres behind sports stadium just been refurbished Camping Jeugdstadion Ieper again easy walk to town get down to the mennin gate about 6.30 pm for the last post also sanctuary wood is interesting. do visit some of the commonwealth graves such peaceful places to sit and contemplate. on a lighter note some good chocolate shops in town recomend Peter De Groote opp flanders fields museum they do a wicked vodka with belgium chocolate >:-)

rapidoman - 2010-07-31 10:00 AM

there is a campsite in ypres behind sports stadium just been refurbished Camping Jeugdstadion Ieper again easy walk to town get down to the mennin gate about 6.30 pm for the last post also sanctuary wood is interesting. do visit some of the commonwealth graves such peaceful places to sit and contemplate. on a lighter note some good chocolate shops in town recomend Peter De Groote opp flanders fields museum they do a wicked vodka with belgium chocolate >:-)

We stayed there last year for a couple of nights some might say expensive 5€ a night including elect!

Need to book only has about a dozen pitches + a couple of tent areas we only got in as someone had cancelled.

Not very easy to fill up with water & nowhere to dump Grey water but a smashing little municipal site.

Archived