Smart car Electrics?

PeteH

Hi

Sorry if this has been "aired" before But:-

I got a "smartie". As a first step I am going to "A" frame it. HOWEVER. I am having difficulty ascertaining whether the Smart lighting can be connected using the Vehicle wiring (as with older cars) OR as is the case with SOME newer ones, the electrics rely on digital command signals and the wiring will not cope with the extra loading? and thereby I will need a Trailer board?

Any one know which? (02 reg 599cc)

Pete

Pete you will be fine with the Smart wiring. I imported my first one in 1999 and later changed to a 2003 cabrio. The wiring will be fine and i too recommend Towtal to do the work. Mine has the Brakebuddy which isnt cheap but well worth it. Enjoy and have fun in your Smart.

vicwo

Hi Pete,

We too have a Smart which we tow, using a brake buddy. Towtal really are the best (in our opinion) for sorting out all you need.

What we did find on an over night trip back from Italy was that the Smart battery flattened (it was the original!) by the time we got home as we were using a 7 pin connection. Just had it changed to a 13 pin to match the tow bar fitted at Towtal. This means that the Smart lights can come on but be re-charged from the towing vehicle battery.

Enjoy!

Hi

Thanks Guys (& Gals?). Not a problem wiring it so long as the loom will take the current. I have the Kit to trace and "patch" into the lighting loom.

Busy, Busy, then now as I go on extended hols Friday!!! IF the Pull plate arrives!! from Car-A-Tow.

Thanks Again

Pete

nowtelse2do - 2010-07-28 8:57 PM

Dont know if this is true, but I thought that towing a Smart car is not a good idea. Is this correct?

Dave

It must be summer again - the "towing a car with an A-frame" debate beginneth anew.........

BGD - 2010-07-29 1:53 PM
nowtelse2do - 2010-07-28 8:57 PM

Dont know if this is true, but I thought that towing a Smart car is not a good idea. Is this correct?

Dave

It must be summer again - the "towing a car with an A-frame" debate beginneth anew.........

Hi Bruce, I wasn't meaning the A frame debate, I heard somewhere that it was a gearbox or clutch problem you get through towing.

Dave

Archived