Non turbo 2.8 Peugeot Boxer engines

felledger

Is it possible to retro-fit a turbo to my 2.8 Peugeot Boxer Symbol as it appears very under-powered. Also, is there an alternative gear box because the ratios seem a bit inappropriate. Very little difference between 1, 2and 3 and 4 and 5 are very close.

No doubt there will be an expert along soon but in the mean time my (uneducated view) would be "not easy". An engine that has been turbocharged will have a lower compression ratio for a start but also usually stronger con rods and different pistons. It should also have a stronger clutch and almost certainly different gear box ratios. If you really want to go down this route a complete engine transplant (including gearbox) may be the easier answer.

bounty hunter - 2010-07-28 7:55 PM

Hi

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a non turbo 2.8 engine. What is the age of your Symbol? Any other symptons which may help provide a diagnosis?

John

Au contraire sir, there have indeed been 2.8 naturally aspirated motors fitted into both Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato vans in the past and having driven one or two I can confirm that they do lack grunt.

In the past I would have suggested a call to TB Turbos of Lancaster but they ceased trading last year. I don't know of any other reputable businesses doing retro fit turbos.

D.

If yours does have a turbo it will be down behind the engine and easier to see by crawling under the van behind the front wheels and looking up at the rear of the engine with a torch. If it has a turbo then the intake hoses will give you a clue, with a turbo the hose from the bottom of the air filter goes down behind the engine and another hose comes back up, either to the intake manifold or to the intercooler mounted beside the engine radiator near to the offside headlight. If its NA the hose from the air filter will go straight to the intake manifold.

D.

If you do not fancy crawling under the back of your engine, look in the engine bay. Look to the left of the water radiator and see if there is another radiator fitted along with some large rubber pipes going to and from it. This would be an inter-cooler and if you have a turbo, you have one of those as well.

Do people not drive campers before they buy them?

Of course a non turbo engine with only 85 hp will struggle in anything bigger than a small panel van!

Nick

Hi, I seem to remember having read somewhere that one of the managers from TH Turbo had set up on his own doing similar conversions not far from the original works.

Ring a bell with anyone else.?

Searched this forum but couldn't find it.

Hi found it, search under Ex TB Turbo.It reads

Hi All...

My name is mark and i am the former workshop foreman of TB TURBO in lancaster, I was there 9 years right up to the day they ceased trading. Since then I have set up my own garage in lancaster, so if anyone has any questions regarding anything please feel free to contact.

I am able to do anything to motorhomes as TB TURBO's did.

Thanks Mark

Location is Lancaster Tel: 01524 843721

Archived