Built in gas tank

Grey Funnel

Grey Funnel - 2010-07-29 9:54 AM

Need to refill my built in domestic use tank but can not find any one to supply at the reduced VAT rate. Main suppliers do not have lists and suggest ringing around.

Do other users just put with paying the 17.5 VAT?

countrywide farmers http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=AutogasHome&pgForward=businesshome

mainly based in Somerset , Wiltshire, Gloucestershire,Worcestershire etc.

i pay a low rate of VAT just fill the foum out and tell them its for cooking only.

cheers Dave

We have an 85 litre LPG tank. We just bite the bullet and fill at the nearest convienient pump now. With our outfit it would probably cost us more to try to get to a main depot to save a few pence a litre.

A couple of years ago I was told that Brownhills at Newark sold LPG for domestic use so I made a special journey. I passed garages selling LPG on route.

When I got there they were charging 4p a litre more than the garage up the road that I had just past. They were charging 17.5% VAT and road duty. They would not sell at 5% Vat and no road duty. When I queried it with them they told me that their accountant had told them it was to difficult to sell at two different prices.

It is so simple to set a modern till to different rates and get a printout at the end of each shift. It is just laziness that prevents the correct VAT rate being applied.

I do not know if the road duty element is charged to garages on delivery or is calculated later on sales throughput. I know that fuel was supplied on a load on load basis to garages in the 60s and you paid for the load you had just sold as they delivered the new load. However things change in different financial situations.

Most people have a built in LPG tank for the pure convienience as well as the basic saving over Calor bottle prices.

We top up ours once a year normally. That is unless something not normal happens!. For example after a weekend away the wife cleans out the van, empties the fridge and sets the fridge doors partly open to let it dry out.

Some number of weeks later I went into the van to ready it for an excursion, connect the hookup and shut the fridge doors so that it was ready for loading the following day. Only the Fridge was already cold and the freezer was rather full of ice. The LPG tank was down to one cherry and one lime on the display. So we filled up a little prematurely this year with £46 worth of gas. Ouch!

C.

Archived