motorcycle carrier on motorhome

skyrider

HI we have just bought a transit based auto-sleeper it is a 150 2.5 turbo .on the rear of the van the previous owner has had fitted a safe t bar that looks really solid . does anyone know if it is possible to bolt a piece of u shaped alloy on top of the t bar to use as a motorcycle rack or if anyone has heard of this being done thanks (?)

You see lots od scooters carried this way however I would think whatever method would have to be CE marked in order to comply with insurance etc in other words i dont think you could fabricate something yourself and expect your insurers to cover it.

The standoff of the Safe T bar from the back of the motorhome is insufficient to take a trough for the wheels of a small motorcycle. You need to know the maximum width of the motorcycle (handle bars / foot rests) and this sets the minimum distance required for the trough which needs to be half way. I know that it is possible to fit a motorcycle carrier on the back of a Transit and MMM road test Editor Dave Hurrell has done exactly this. In his case the rack was specially engineered to handle the overhang and get its support from the vans chassis.

C.

I have been carrying a scooter for 2 years and would not be without. However their are a lot of things to consider to keep within your axle loads and be safe. No scooter carriers I am aware of carry any official weight markings so I guess you could make your own but I would seriously consider one from a known maker. Check out Watling Tow Bars who make a well priced one, this is the one I have been using although am now considering a change as i wish to carry a 250cc rather than my current 125cc. If you go to the Watling web site they have a calculator that will enable you to work out the loadings, you will need to visit a weigh bridge first to get your current axle loadings. Although the tow bar you have might look solid get underneath your van and have a look it will have to carry at least around 140kg with weight of rack and bike, I am doubtfull about the type you have being suitable. If you need any advice or information pm me

we carried a lightweight scooter on the back of an autotrail for several years. would personaly not recomend, we had to have airide fitted because the van always bottomed out on ferries and ramps, also made the steering very light ,daunting in high winds, have now towed a qpod for three years all over france spain and belgium as well as here much more fun AND you stay dry :-D

rapidoman - 2010-07-30 12:33 PM

we carried a lightweight scooter on the back of an autotrail for several years. would personaly not recomend, we had to have airide fitted because the van always bottomed out on ferries and ramps, also made the steering very light ,daunting in high winds, have now towed a qpod for three years all over france spain and belgium as well as here much more fun AND you stay dry :-D

Strange one this, we have had none of these things without airide fitted, can only suggest this van had knackered rear springs in the first place. I also feel if you want to tow buy a caravan, personal opinion this and I know others disagree but can see no sense or reason for it with a M/H.

rapidoman - 2010-07-30 1:08 PM

each to their own but towing qpod to us gives us more freedom to go out plus you only live once and this to us is such a small price for so much fun and pleasure. as for motorhome it was brand new (!)

As I said, personal opinion. As for van still do not understand how a properly loaded van could behave as you describe. Our van was just over 30kg lighter on the front, even though the bike plus fittings added 200kg to the rear axle, this will have little effect on the steering. The rear at the wheel arches was between 2-3mm lower when bike was loaded so hardly effected ground clearance. In any case if you did not have worn springs or overload the rear axle then how did it come to be so much lower. Your van is made to carry at the maximun rear axle loading, now while I accept it will have minor effects what you are suggesting simply does not make sense.

van had a rear bed so there was little weight there but the rear overhang was almost six foot which on a fiat chassis may have contributed to the problem. if you have very little overhang it probably is'nt such a problem. you do see a lot of scooters being carried but as already been said it pays to go to weighbridge and get weights for front and rear and overall of van before anyone decides to go down this road.

Almost anything can be possible, but that does not mean it will be in all cases.  For example, there is a mite of difference between a Harley and a monkey bike and, as rapidoman and rupert 123 have illustrated, there are differences between the designs of vans that mean different outcomes for different vehicles.  My own reaction is that you are unlikely to get a piece of "alloy" (but what alloy - I assume you mean some kind of aluminium alloy) that would do what you want, even if the other problems are solved.  

You need to start with the year of the Transit, then examine if Auto-Sleepers have extended or altered the chassis, then do as Clive says and calculate the stand-off for the bike you have in mind, get the actual weight of the bike, and then go to someone like Watling to calculate what load a bike of that weight, that far behind the rear axle, would actually impose on the rear axle.  Then fully load your van as you would normally use it, take it to a weighbridge and weigh it, at the same time getting the weights on the two axles.  Check these weights against the VIN plate to see how much rear axle load is spare, and then compare the Watling calculation against the spare capacity.  If it is lower than the capacity, OK: if it is over, no go: if it is equal, ho, ho - judgement call!

However, I think it almost impossible that anything designed and installed as a "T bar" would have the strength to support a motorcycle, so you would first have to remove that, and then replace it with a properly engineered motorcycle rack.  The thought of your bike falling from your van as you drive along, with bits of home made rack attached, is an entertaining one - so long as I don't have to watch from anywhere behind!  The police, and your insurance company, would doubtless especially appreciate the joke!  :-D

Archived