New Chassis and Cab or Scrap?

Christena

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker
lennyhb - 2010-10-02 12:11 PM

Seeing Rich mention Speedy Spares just up the road from me used to go there in the late sixties for bits for my Morris Minor.

It was Speedy Spares that helped keep my Mini Cooper S on the road in the late sixties when we lived in Brighton - memories eh!

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2010-10-03 9:14 PM

WOW, now smashed through the 2000 views.

We must all be a nostalgic lot (lol)

Maybe they are wondering why they have spent so much on their vans when you can have the same fun and enjoyment for a fraction of the cost (lol) (lol) (lol)

Well I have to admit I am shocked at how little this has cost so far.

When I ordered the bonnet, the guy said, 'Im sorry but this is a little expensive' so I had visions of £500 or £600, so when he said £149.00 delivered, I had to smile and say, 'thats not what I would call expensive.'

Clutch Cable £17.90.

Window Scuttle £49.00

and so on...

The most expensive costs so far are labour, and even that has been low at £600 to date.

Our first camper was an old Bedford van, that I bought from someone in Aldershot via ebay, which I paid £1,000 for.

We travelled down by train, which was quite a big thing for me, as I am Agoraphobic, and had never been able to have a holiday for 20 years because of it.

I had an idea that if I could take my home with me, I wouldnt experience the panic attacks that leaving home usually brings, and I was right. We had a great time driving up through lots of places I had never visited, and we kept the Bedford for 3 years, before selling her for £500 to a guy who wanted to fully restore her.

So you see, being like a snail and carrying your home around with you, has some very positive side effects.

I cant wait for next Spring, when the Hobby will be back, and yes we might have to sell her and buy a model with power steering, but no matter, she did right by me, and I did right by her.

Guest Tracker

For between about £1500 and £2000 you can get power steering fitted and whilst you might never see all of your money back it would at the very least make it easier to sell should that day come?

That too would be a lot less to lose than the first year's depreciation on a newer van and if you bought from a dealer you will have to add their profit margin to any first year depreciation - and they like to make at least £4k and prefer £6k gross profit per van sold?

You are of course right Tracker, it would make sense, but we shall wait and see how the money pans out.

Re the Decals, I have been in touch with Hobby UK and they are making enquiries with their German office to see if any Decals can be found for me, which is very nice of them.

But Im hanging on to all those addresses just in case..lol

Thanks again everyone

• 2 months later...

Following Interchange in MMM (Jan issue arrived late for me too!) checked out this thread to find it very interesting.

However, nothing since October. Has something gone not quite right, or has the thread gone somewhere else?

Come on Christena - what's happened? Even if it IS bad news I'm sure that all the original posters/respondents would like to know.

I DO hope its good news though....

Terry

• 2 years later...
Guest JudgeMental
aston - 2013-01-22 11:18 PM

Wow , an excellent read, I wonder what happened>>>>>>???

Run out of money? Enthusiasm? Or both? Or hit by a bus......

No not this one, at least I don't think so, (The one I am viewing is silver, However it has been re-sprayed at some point) Shame I can't see the reg number on the avatar, I found it whilst I was trying to find info on these vans, There are many still in use on the continent, I'm only going for a look as I also wish for an air-cooled 911 so it's one of the other.........Thanks

Archived