how do you know who is winterised

mrs p hancox

hi, we are looking to change our van, as we want to go full timing, well at least for 6 months of the year, we know what we want in the van french bed (we want a bed that is permenatly made up, but not one over garage limited mobility hubby) facing benches at front (Not sit up and beg) so 2nd bed can be made if required. Would be great if one bench also had seat belts for gran kids. Do not want a bed over driver passanger seat either pull down on climb up I hate them. Good payload. Outside, needs good sized access to under french bed, for deck chairs etc and want van to be winterized. Can find layout from pictures and mmm guide, can we find any where anything about winterization. Not a dam thing, can any one help or do I have to trail through each suitable model!

Hi Pam

Have a look at the German manufacturer's, a lot of their models are winterised. Especially were they have a "double floor" e.g Euro Mobil.

We have an Autocruise & they do a winterise kit, as a Dealer fit, which includes insulating the Tanks & fitting a heater in the fresh water tank. (but tanks are underslung)

Other manufacturers' may also offer this option.

You want something like ours. Laika Ecovip 7.1g. Fixed rear corner bed, washroom leading onto shower, L shaped lounge with 2 seat belts, swivel driver and passenger seats, large garage across the back with access doors either side, also storage under fixed bed. Inside fresh water tank, all plumbing is domestic size. Ours is a 2002/3 and the previous owners, who had it from new, used to go Skiing for 6 weeks every winter and had no problems. We use the garage for our electric bikes, bbq, spare wheel, and the rest of the junk that we motorhomers carry with us. There is an enormous amount of storage space in the van as well with a double wardrobe and cupboard underneath. We have had this van for 2 years now and are very pleased with it plus it is an automatic with cruise control and reversing camera. I have no doubt that this type of layout, if you are after a fixed bed, would be ideal.

Motorhomes are graded as to their heating/insulation capabilities. If my memory serves me right a fully winterised van has Grade 3 heating. This means that with the heating working it will maintain a constant temperature of 20C inside the van, with all services working, whilst the outside temperature is -15C.

Invariably these vans have no outside pipework at all, other than an overflow pipe, the waste dump valve being accessed via a heated locker. Vans with just heated tanks and/or insulated tanks do not attain Grade 3 status. Heated tanks are OK but their pipework can freeze up whilst its only a matter of time/temperature before vans with insulated tanks do the same. British made vans do not normally make Grade 3 whilst a lot of German vans do, but not all.

If you are going full time I think it important that you get this right, just ask what grade heating/insulation any given van has (most dealers won't know!) and if buying get it in writing.

Ron

hi thanks for replys, I have looked at your lakia and it has opened our choice range. I am pleased that someone has been able to give me a category of insulation, but agree most dealers cant or wont tell me how insulated the van is. it is interesting that in all the years I have subscribed to mmm not once has this subject been mentioned. Yet it effects every van in one way or another!

Your probably right Pam, but it's always surprising how many people are asking for help each winter, through this forum and others, who have frozen up. There were several caught out at the last NEC show, and that's in our comparatively mild climate.

Guest JudgeMental

And why we visit the Dusseldorf show, and at least get some proper information, the germans would not tolerate what happens here.......

A well made winterised van will also have a double floor, and all the tanks and associated pipe work will live within. The classification Ron was referring to is Winter-proof certified "EN 1646" we also upgraded the heating to the more powerful Truma 6002 EH. Get the right van and the heating bills will be cheaper in the long run....

One way to get some idea of what is available is to get the current brochures from, I would suggest, Dethleffs, Hymer and Burstner.  Most include, either within the main brochure or as an appendix, technical data that will also list all available options.  You may have to ask specifically for this technical appendix, which also gives the weights of the options, so that its impact on payload can be judged.

Last time I looked, these manufacturers all listed various "winter" packs, from which it was fairly easy to work out what needed to be added to bring the spec to fully winterised status, and so, by extension, what is missing in standard trim.  Dethleffs used to be very popular in Scandinavia because they were regarded as well insulated, and could be equipped for extreme conditions.  However, unless you intend going skiing, or to other relatively extreme places, you may be perfectly well served by less comprehensive specifications.  The above brochures at least had the advantage that one could choose on a reasonably informed basis.  Remember, though, that the UK is seldom extreme but, unlike many of the colder European countries, it remains quite humid all year round.  This makes managing ventilation during winter more, if anything, important than it is in colder, drier, areas.  Cooker extracts become more or less essential, and condensation (in cupboards, and under seats and mattresses, as well as on windscreens) is a continual threat.

Archived