Irish Ferries

DonB

Is it just us, or have any of you found Irish Ferries fast sailing Holyhead-Dublin website and booking are very complicated? There seem to be hidden charges and restrictions not explained. When you try and phone about height, length and weight rules they will not explain, just want to book, but still not telling you if your vehicle will physically fit! As some cats have weight and height restrictions, which I cannot find on their website. I was just told, we take everything!

DonB - 2010-08-01 3:34 PM Is it just us, or have any of you found Irish Ferries fast sailing Holyhead-Dublin website and booking are very complicated? There seem to be hidden charges and restrictions not explained.

Never used them, but it looks like they have been taking lessons from Ryanair.... 

The site allows you to book vans & Motorhomes over 2.6m in height on the "Jonathan Swift" so I don't see the problem. Although the Swift is a lot smaller than Stena's HSS I certain I've seen Motorhomes on it.

Why not take the HSS to Dun Laoghaire smoother & faster boat & you avoid going into Dublin (well you can pay the tunnel toll).

Lenny, to our understanding, the Dun Laoghaire crossing will not take our 3 metre high van. the only fast crossing that will is the Irish Ferries Holy-Dublin. But they will not tell me what their max height is, so I am guessing that over 2.6m does not stop at 2.9m! All other ferries I have been on, Channel, sicily, Morocco, etc, give a maximum height. Not "we take anything."

PS Bazza. Had the same thought.....

I emailed a query about motorhome and have copied their response below:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

I'm happy to advise that the vehicle category Camper/Dormobile over 2.25m will cover vehicles up to 4.5m high and up to 8m long.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks and regards,

Filipa Da Cunha

irishferries.com

--Original Message--

Date: 25/07/2010 12:33:57

To: Info@irishferries.com

Subject: Motorhome Height

Hello

Could you please clarify for me whether I can book my motorhome of

3.07m height on a normal >2.25m booking?  This would be on Pembroke to

Rosslare and return.

DonB - 2010-08-01 4:13 PM

Lenny, to our understanding, the Dun Laoghaire crossing will not take our 3 metre high van. the only fast crossing that will is the Irish Ferries Holy-Dublin. But they will not tell me what their max height is, so I am guessing that over 2.6m does not stop at 2.9m! All other ferries I have been on, Channel, sicily, Morocco, etc, give a maximum height. Not "we take anything."

PS Bazza. Had the same thought.....

I can't see that, it's huge compared to the Jonathan Swift & you often see quite large lorries on it.

I've been Harwich-Hook on the now discontinued Stena HSS service in a 3m 3.85 tonne 'van, so they certainly fit on an HSS.

AFAIK, the out of season fastcraft (smaller) Holyhead/Dun Laoghaire has a weight limit of 3 tonnes and height 3m, but the in-season HSS does not have these limits.

Worth a call I would have thought.

Archived