sat tv drawbacks

duetto owner

posted a while back on sat systems and the maxview was our choice. But people have mentioned the following problems.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Maxview-Omnisat-66cm-Satellite-Dish-Kit-.html

1]the sky box for use with our skycard would need mains hook up for us to use.

[tv is a avtex 12v that folds down from cabin ceiling and has freeview but has poor reception in most places].

2] if you go on site and tall building or trees mask you direct line to the sat your stuck too.

now having a touch of the seconds about is it worth it, we only have a ford duetto hi top so lugging a generator is not practical.

what you opinions

duetto owner - 2010-08-01 5:17 PM

posted a while back on sat systems and the maxview was our choice. But people have mentioned the following problems.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Maxview-Omnisat-66cm-Satellite-Dish-Kit-.html

1]the sky box for use with our skycard would need mains hook up for us to use.

[tv is a avtex 12v that folds down from cabin ceiling and has freeview but has poor reception in most places].

2] if you go on site and tall building or trees mask you direct line to the sat your stuck too.

now having a touch of the seconds about is it worth it, we only have a ford duetto hi top so lugging a generator is not practical.

what you opinions

We have an 85cm Oyster Dish and run the Sky box on an inverter and the Avtec TV direct from 12v.

Often a move of just a few inches can make a difference between getting a Satelite signal or not.

We did encounter problems however this summer in Normandy & Brittany (during the world Cup) in losing stations on our Sky system. We lost Chanel 5 in many parts of Normandy and BBC1 after Cherbourg Penisular and the only one of the normal ITV (Tyne Tees) channels was consistant everywhere down to the Gulfe of Morbihan.

I bought a Lidl satellite system in a box, it pulls in all the channels that I get at home on my Freesat set-up and it does this all the way down to Roses in Spain and all over France!

Not bad for £60.

Hallii

PS it all works on 12v as well.

An inverter

never used or seen one.

just did a google to have a look.

now am I right in thinking that you plug it into the cigar lighter on the vehicle dash and the vehicle battery provides the power? if so could have done with one of those sockets in the MH to run of the lesure battery.

duetto owner - 2010-08-01 6:49 PM

An inverter

never used or seen one.

just did a google to have a look.

now am I right in thinking that you plug it into the cigar lighter on the vehicle dash and the vehicle battery provides the power? if so could have done with one of those sockets in the MH to run of the lesure battery.

We have a separate 12v cigar type socket that we run our 300w inverter from, this is connected to the leisure battery because to use the cab cigar lighter you need to have the engine on.

duetto owner - 2010-08-02 10:33 AM

thanks for the replies, will look at 12v mini sky boxes.

not sure how to run it as the motorhome has two 3 pin sockets will have to look to see if their is a 12v socket i have not noticed

got a autosleeper duetto

It might be easier for you as, if I remember, our UK caravan had 12v sockets that took an oblong plug, we did have an adaptor that had one of these plugs on one end and a cigar type socket on the other. There was a post a couple of weeks ago asking about these adaptors, they had a special name, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Found a link, this is what I meant:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adapt-3-Adaptor-Lead-Caravan-Accessories-/110563195036?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item19be14789c

If you choose to buy another Sky box ( I have a small Pace in the m/home) you will probably have to buy another Sky card too (£20) on which you will only be able to get the free channels. Sky would not let me use my normal card in it since last year when they issued new cards.

I have an oyster 85cm together with a Pace 12v Sky box and avtex TV. Works fine all through France and Northern Spain but as you go further south you need to switch beams to south beam and you lose BBC/ITV etc as they are only on north beam. My sky card from home works fine in the Pace box but I only have the entertainment/family pack. No sports or movies. The later two are box dependent and will only work in one box usually your main home one. Even if you take your home box the movies and some of the sports are not available on south beam once you go further towards the med.

Hope this is of some help.

hallii - 2010-08-01 5:39 PM

I bought a Lidl satellite system in a box, it pulls in all the channels that I get at home on my Freesat set-up and it does this all the way down to Roses in Spain and all over France!

Not bad for £60.

Hallii

PS it all works on 12v as well.

I bought one of those and it was a disaster-could not get a signal in France, Germany, or any Benelux countries!

I take it form your post you didn't have any problems-obviously it is me not the system. What did I do wrong? I followed the instructions to the letter, fixed the dish on the meter reading etc and ..............................Nothing!!

Was there some little twist I missed?

Would appreciate your opinion-might be able to watch it next time.

PS Even the suckers didn't work properly-dish fell off the van window!

Mike :'(

duetto owner - 2010-08-02 1:19 PM

pat

why won't it work if its a genuine card?

I used to have a free Sky card in my m/home which only gave the free channels then last year when I went to France I kept getting a message across the screen (so I couldn't see the picture) saying that it was the wrong card for the box. I also used to take the house box card to France and put it in the Sky box in the house out there. Never had any trouble until last year when that also said that it was the wrong card for the box. When I came back to England I found that they had delivered a new card for the main Sky box. This would not work with the Pace box in the m/home and neither would the card that I had had for years so Sky insisted that I bought a new free to air card for £20 and said that in future all customers would have to buy a new card for each box.

In addition I went away for 7 weeks in the winter and when I returned home and switched on the Sky box most of the programmes were missing and I had to contact Sky to switch them back on again. During the 7 weeks the card had remained in the box so why they cut the programmes off I do not know. I only have 2 or 3 packages anyway, no films or sports, and no landline.

I have now been travelling for a month and so can only receive free to air, not the extra packages.

Sorry, long explanation so hope you can understand it (must admit to having quite a few aperos tonight!!

we have a oyster self seeking 85cm system with a pace digibox, all 12volt, and a 240volt television which runs off our 1000watt inverter, with remote switching. I fitted dedicated sockets in the van, to run off the inverter only, 4 in total, all in convenient places for various electricals. we have used our home sky card all over france this year, from north to south, east to west, with no problems, other than trees. Get yourself a good compass and mark it in some way, where to roughly find the sattelite, and walk round the site till you find the best possible view for the dish to locate the sattelite. we had a Lidle system in a box before, but found on the rain/windswept nights when you want the telly most, it was a bit f a no brainer. Happy viewing.

Archived