Electric bike charging

hallii

It is very likely it just needs a bigger inverter. all bevause of the peak currents (power) the charger draws. A similar sized inverter with a higher peak power capabilty may work and is really a case of try it and see, but also nees to be tested with a 12 volt battery which is down a bit in volts as clearly you want it to also work if the battey is say 30% to 40% discharged.

I have used the bikes for lots of trips. I charge straight off my 600w inverter, both at the same time.

In full sunlight my 160w of solar power balances the current draw easily. The batteries charge up in about 3 hours from flat. Even without solar power on a dull day the batteries (2 x 110 amp Gel) hardly drop at all.

So for me it all works well.

H

We recently bought a couple of electric bikes and charge them on the move. Some info on our purchase 'experience' below:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Our-new-electric-bikes-have-arrived-Part-2-/34649/

In the end, rather than hard wire an inverter in I did it a different way. I've put a cradle in the passenger foot well (a wire cup holder like the one in the below picture which I've had for yonks .. sometimes it pays to horde! :D ) which I secured up out of the way under the dash with cable ties and the battery simply slots into that and is kept in place with an elastic strap/cord. The inverter lives on the shelf in front of the passenger with the 240v plug inserted into the inverter and then down to the battery, the 12v lead from the inverter goes into the 180w cig socket on the dash (the right hand one on our Fiat X250). We then charge the batteries on the move and it works a treat. The advantage of this is that we can't accidentally leave the inverter switched on as the cig sockets work from the main ignition so when that is turned off so are they.

111391576_cupholder.thumb.JPG.3a883f34f927637969235117a3085bdb.JPG

Archived