cach build frames

trikershaun

Construction methods vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Most manufacturers of coachbuilt motorhomes have used (and continue to use) traditional ‘caravan’ construction with a wooden framework embedded between the bodywork’s outer and inner skins.

However, a few manufacturers replace the wooden framework with something similar but made from rot-proof synthetic 'plastic' material.

Metal inner framework has also been employed (it was a feature of Eriba coachbuilt motorhomes), but only rarely.

Even when bodywork construction involves a self-supporting one-piece glass-fibre shell, it’s more than likely there will a wooden framework behind it to add extra stiffness, retain insulation and permit windows and the inner paneling to be attached easily.

(Is this a general inquiry, or have you a particular make/model of coachbuilt motorhome in mind?)

Easiest way to self-build a coachbuilt motorhome would be to graft a caravan on to a ladder-chassis vehicle. I’ve seen a few of these and, if the job is done well, the end-result can look pretty good. If you are planning to scratch-build, starting right from basics using (say) flat aluminium sheet and chunks of wood, then I wish you well.

There’s a book by John Wickersham (“Build your own Motorcaravan”, Haynes Publishing, £10.91 from Amazon) that’s bound to be helpful. See:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BookFeature_BuildYourOwnMotorcaravanView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

i did think of this and came to the decision it would be harder as you have to build the over cab bed and relocate the wheel arches , no im going to do a build from scratch thanks more work but it will be more coordinated than tying to second guess were i will be bolting caravan parts.however i will look at this book that sounds like a good idea. thanks for all help. iv already ordered the fiber glass resin gel coat chop'strand mat and catalyst just need the steel sheet that will be the mould for a better word.

Archived