Using Laptops UK and Europe

Pister

Can anyone (using small words please) give brief advice about the cheapest way to access Internet on laptop (just been given) in Britain and Europe. I'm confused by O2/Orange (etc) costs v. dongles. I would only want to access Internet to check out campsites - not download films or anything time-consuming. I'm unlikely to want to buy £5 a time access at campsites (for an hour-ish). Many thanks...

Unless you are Mega Rich don't even think about using a UK dongle & foreign ones aren't very cheap either.

As said MD in France & camp sites in Europe often have free wifi.

Last time we were in France a couple of months ago picked up public wifi in a small town you appeared to just have to register on the logon page, unfortunately my French is not that good & didn't have Google translator loaded on the netbook so can't report on it.

Pister - 2010-08-02 10:17 AM Can anyone (using small words please) give brief advice about the cheapest way to access Internet on laptop (just been given) in Britain and Europe. I'm confused by O2/Orange (etc) costs v. dongles. I would only want to access Internet to check out campsites - not download films or anything time-consuming. I'm unlikely to want to buy £5 a time access at campsites (for an hour-ish). Many thanks...

There is no cheap solution using mobile networks for roamed data with UK registered phones in Europe.  Neither are roamed voice calls cheap, they are just not as expensive as roamed data!  :-)  However, roamed texts can be quite cheap, but you may need to change your provider to get the best deal.

Free WiFi (or sometimes wired internet) is available at a surprisingly large (and seemingly growing) number of campsites throughout the mainland, though you do of course have to stay on the site to benefit.  Some sites make a fairly nominal charge, but you need to clarify if the charge is for connected time, in which case if you have not used your entire allocation of time when you log-off, you can log back on later to use the balance, or whether the time you buy simply runs for "n" hours from when you first log-on, expiring even if you have logged-off.  Other sites emulate the UK clubs in which case I do as I do with the clubs, and just walk away laughing!

If you get the ACSI card for out of season use, it tells you whether WiFi is available at a campsite, and whether it is free or chargeable, though it does not tell you the charges.

I bought a "3" dongle which came with £10 (1 Gb) data included for £19.99 at a Tesco, now when we come to England I can top it up at home for the holiday, I didn't even use all of the allocation, I think it was valid for a month- after which time you lost any unused credit, so for £2.50/week I think it is good value. We spent most of time in Wales and the Cotswold's and had a good connection. I only used it to look up information and emails each day, probably for about 30mins-1Hr a day, so in reality I could have spent a good couple of hours on it each day.

In France, as previously mentioned McDonalds is free, also most towns with a village hall, library or Tourist information have free wi-fi. If you wanted to buy a dongle to use, I think Bouygues do a dongle for about 35euro but I'm not sure how much data allowance is included.

In 6 weeks Germany and France I only managed to get 3 wifi connections on sites that gave me the password, but at Stenay I kept seeing WiFi Stop which I could have registed with for 3 Euro or 16 E it said that it was for Motorhomers and Boat people ! I didnt fancy giving my card details over a unsecured network but you might be able to do it from home before you go.

Because we run an internet company we thought we would need good connection and wanted to be sure we had enough so we didn't exceed our allowance as I know that is when they really sting you.

So we stupidly signed up for an 18 month contract at £25 a month with Vodaphone we just didn't touch the sides so to speak. So at the end of the contract reduced it to £10 a month and we still have tons of air time left :-D

Brilliant service from them , only once did we struggle and that was in a private school grounds and we just kept getting 3g but lines were busy, very strange.

Abroad we always go to MacDonalds for Wifi, quick and easy and we have a daughter who thinks it is a great excuse for a milk shake at least!!

Many use PAYG with great success , or so I have read.

Mandy

I posted a question in the Vodafone forum about getting internet on a dongle in France and got the following reply:

"Easy, go to SFR shop, not supermarket as they are just resellers, and ask for Pass Internet 3G+. SFR is Vodafone over there with a good network but it is not as good as Orange who are the dominant operator in France.

Its sans engagement as they call it, no contract. You will find details here

http://www.sfr.fr/mo...olmid_txt_cle3G

at the bottom of the page and use the translate function of Google.

Watch out for the way your credit is used as its on a time limitation basis so if you have a lot of credit on it, it may expire before you get to use it all. More of a rip off than here in the UK.

But it does work and I have used one over there in my motor home with no problems. Took me ten minutes to buy but took nearly an hour waiting as the service in the shops can be slow at times. Stay away from peak times such as lunch times and Saturdays but you should be ok at other times."

either mc Donalds or site wifi or if you have a pay as you go dongle from T Mobile you can purchase boosters for international travel.

Just found this on the t mobile site, very good value from what i can see

Euro Broadband 200MB £40

* Surf the internet for a whole month

* Use it over 30 days from when you buy it

* Same stuff as 50MB, plus

* Surf your favourite sites all month

* Check and reply to work and personal emails for your

link for full page info

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...dband-booster/

£45 which is the limit set on most dongles by '3' for data roaming would give you 36mb

I have never had any problems, there are hundreds of Mc Donalds on the outskirts of towns, next to Hypermarkets etc. Some are busy but you can always park

As an example the one at Boulougne Auchan hypermarket.

Never go intown with M.home

Clive

I use a Vodaphone PAYG in UK and the £15 top ups last for ages. Also no time limit so if you dont use for a couple of months no loss of cash unlike some other providers. Works out much cheaper than site based WiFi in uk. Vodaphone Spain also offer a PAGO which I have yet to try but seems to offer good value for long stay (in Spain) but not for short breaks. Charges etc on Vodaphone spain website. UK PAGO used as a roaming device is far to expensive to contemplate. Spanish site charges tend to be very high so Macs is usually the easiest option and there are plenty around Spain. Have found France generally free or pretty reasonable.

Madmaggott - 2010-08-04 5:05 PM

I would be interested to know how people find the McDonalds branches in France.  When we were there the only ones that we saw were very small 'in town' ones with no parking on site and very little parking available nearby for large vehicles.

I cant understand this-or maybe I drive through a different France. One of the sites that despoils France are the advertsing hordings on the main roads into most large towns. These often include ads for the McD's and usually state which supermarket they are near or the name of the 'C Cial' -commercial center.

if you have a gps POI files can be downloaded to direct you.

We have 'followed' the direction signs for McDs a few times but every time it was an 'in town' one, so we gave up on it.  We do now have them on our satnav but it doesn't tell us the size of the outlet or if there is parking.  We decided that it would be better to get a pre-paid dongle and log on as and when we need to rather than indulge in fuel consuming 'wild goose chases' each time we need t'internet!

chatterdog - 2010-08-04 3:07 PM

Euro Broadband 200MB £40

* Surf the internet for a whole month

* Use it over 30 days from when you buy it

* Same stuff as 50MB, plus

* Surf your favourite sites all month

* Check and reply to work and personal emails for your

link for full page info

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...dband-booster/

£45 which is the limit set on most dongles by '3' for data roaming would give you 36mb

They have changed it they now charge £10 a day.

Archived